HO MVP awards

All, this is intended in good fun, and I hope it comes across that way. Of course, it’s profoundly guided by the forums I read (WFD, the general ones (i.e. not regional), and PNW). Here are my nominations for MVPs in the following categories. Please chime in if feeling so moved!

Most adventurous eater/most beautiful photos – Presunto
Most creative when camping and best neighbor – Christina
Gardening guru extraordinaire – Bogman
Coziest meals – Linda Whit
Most droolworthy food photos and combos - Cookie
Most likely to cook 6 things in a single meal – Saregama
Virtual food BFFs – Maria Carmen/Greg Caggiano & Paryzer/Barca
Forum grandpa figures who tell it to you plain – Harters & Auspicious
Most likely to have a pot of red sauce going - NotJrvedivici
Most avid researcher, bookmarker, and rabbit hole pursuer - Shrinkwrap

10 Likes

Yep. She’s amazing.

Good list. Thanks for the mention… I have eaten a few things I’m sure some people would not care to try (live octopus, Pyura chilensis. There are more but can’t remember off the top of my head).

2 Likes

Dammit. I’d have hoped to appear for some other reason than I’m old.

By the by, what is an MVP in this context? I suspect it is something other than the “Minmum viable product” that Google finds for me. Although, at my advanced years, I agree that I’m not as viable as I once was.

1 Like

Funny! It’s most valuable player, typically used in sports, which is what it was for the longest time until agile came around as the corporate strategic disruptor. I see mvp all the time at work - i.e. the mvp for a car is a skateboard, but to me it’s a poser. The real mvp is the most valuable player. And thank you for having a good humour about this! Did I spell it right?

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

And for correct spelling. Although I suspect its days are relatively numbered. I was reading an article some months back about the teaching of English as a second language. Apparently, it is now increasingly common for that now to be American English, rather than English English. Partly because of the spread of American cultural imperialism but, mainly, because of the simpler spelling. Humor not humour being an obvious example.

4 Likes

I think you spelled it wrong. C - u - r - m - u - d - g - e - o - n. I’m pleased to be in the same category as John @Harters but I don’t think he’s as cranky as I am.

Footnotes are good. @shrinkrap does her research.

Not sure about the category, but agree that @ChristinaM is a valued HOer. Same with @LindaWhit and @cookie. The challenge is that there are so many HOers that make a difference. I don’t have a list but there are a lot of you whose usernames cause me to stop, back-up and read. @pilgrim comes to mind but there are so many others.

ahem It is truly an honor simply to be nominated. grin I crack myself up.

Remember that if you find a post of value to click on the knife and fork to “like” the post. Share the love.

For those who share my warped sense of humor:

8 Likes

So true - the Brad Paisley song.

I play on another forum (not food related) where, as well as Harters, I am also known as “Wendy from Kenya” - a tall 38 year old from Mombasa who works full time in a local council’s town planning department in the UK and part time as a croupier. It started when someone asked me if I was really who I seemed to be and I fessed up to really being Wendy. I quite like her, although she does have a nasty streak to her.

6 Likes

To me you will always be the 6’2" rangy Brit ambling across the moors with a medium-sized dog and a pipe. Yes, yes, I know. Don’t ruin it for me. grin

3 Likes

Ah, we do serious ambling across the moors in these parts. Of particular note, is the 1932 mass trespass of Kinder Scout - a large hill about 25 miles from me.

2 Likes

I don’t use the English spellings with the extra “u” but I enjoy them. Sometimes I say them out loud! Canadians (whose border I am very near to, but cannot cross these last many months) do the same thing. Favour. Flavour. Humour.

1 Like

I didn’t want to say curmudgeon. I almost used “get off my lawn” but the point was the lack of pretension, and never mincing words. Thank you for taking it in good humour as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great way to start my day; tha KS! Many years ago,before there were avatars, folks om another form thought J was an “old Jewish guy”.

3 Likes

Hah! I had an associate at a prior lawfirm named Lee Goldberg. Everyone also thought - old Jewish guy. But it was a 20s Asian American girl. Very hip and stylish too!

2 Likes

Canadians, like Britons, also have zeds, not zees.

1 Like

I enjoy hearing British and all of its fun colloquialisms on shows like Bakeoff. Everyone is always chuffed. And the dough is always proved, never proofed. Good stuff. I am sure you guys don’t enjoy American english nearly so well. We sound so nasal and pedestrian in comparison…

I have a picture in my head of George Carlin screaming “get off my lawn” and waving a baseball bat. I don’t think he ever did that. Not his schtick. I on the other hand have my late grandfather’s metal cane which I practice shaking with bottled up rage. I’m having trouble getting the red face and protruding veins right, but I will keep working on it. I do have a shotgun but in my state (motto: “you can’t fix stupid and we won’t let you shoot it”) that would not go over well on the front lawn.

Of course what is most missing from the listing is a category win for @Sasha. Definitely on my list of “stop, back-up, and read carefully” but deserving of something more. Thoughts, anyone?

This thread has made me a little pensive. My great appreciation for HO for being here, a place to share, a place to learn, a place from time to time to vent. A place to make friends and to be kept grounded. Everyone gets a blue ribbon for being part of HO.

7 Likes

Well said. Bravo.

1 Like

I remember a very long old thread on Chowhound which compared American and British English words. I think we just restricted it to food related matters. It ended up with a much longer list than anyone expected - and that was without any significant contribution from, say, Australian & New Zealander contributors over differences they may have from both Brit and Yank terminology.

1 Like

Which brings to mind a senior staff meeting when I lived in the UK in which I reflected that an event had really pissed me off. In the US, “pissed” is commonly used for angry or upset. In the UK, it mostly means drunk.

And important to note for foreigners that “chuffing” has a different meaning to “chuffed”. Whilst the latter is to be pleased, the former is very much the opposite. Then it’s an emphasis expletive that replaces f**king as in “It’s none of your chuffing business why I’m late”.

1 Like