HO Lunch February 12:Xing Ming Flushing

we’re going to save our appetites for ming xing since we won’t be able to sample as many dishes given our reduced numbers. we’ll be there at 12:30, looking forward to it!

best,

we’re sad you aren’t joining :frowning:

Just returned from the Zaab Zaab dinner, with @Dean and Kay et. al., and “saving appetites for Ming Xing” seems to be the consensus. I’ll still get to the neighborhood earlier to have a look at this and that, and Dean and Kay might walk along for the sake of the walking. If we don’t connect earlier, we’ll see you at the restaurant at 12:30.

1 Like

We have a reservation for 6ppl at 2230 but the did not take my name. See you all there.

sounds good, for something different, I know people don’t go to flusing for pizza but lucia holds some cachet with pizza obsessives. And I suspect Dean and Kay have not been to the ganesh temple canteen for dosa.

22:30 = 2:30? edit: oh, sorry, a typo I guess.

12.30 reservation.

Very nice lunch today. Thanks to Dean for organizing, ordering, and grilling! More photos to follow.

probably our best meal in flushing since fu run closed, dean appeared to be randomly selecting dishes from the menu but there was method to the madness, they all worked harmoniously to the point where the sum felt greater than the parts. my favorite were the lamb skewers but really everything was delicious and of course it was fun to catch up with dean, kay and dave.

best,

3 Likes

Cucumber with tossed clear noodles

Sautéed clams in hot spicy sauce

Jellyfish in vinegar sauce

Griddled cauliflower

Sautéed glass vermicelli with chicken. That’s my name for it, since I couldn’t identify this dish on the menu, and I can’t decipher the check. Like @vinouspleasure, my favorites were the grilled lamb skewers (we also ordered chicken gizzards, which I only photographed uncooked). But this nearly monochrome noodle dish was, for me, the runner-up. Just wish I knew its name!

Damn! Wish I could’ve gone.

So much fun on both the Zaab Zaab dinner and the Ming Xing lunch. We really love to be welcomed into the NY HO dining group!

I had help! The owner marked up a menu with his favorites from his hometown and others more of a Sichuan bent. So I had a much smaller universe of dishes to pick from than their huge menu. The food is great, and the company is even better. And the owner and his family who took care of us did a really heartfelt job even as they were basically full up.

One thing, their kitchen is tiny and they only can send out one stirfry at a time. So your meal is actually leisurely paced. We got all our cold dishes and then a couple of simple stirfrys. Then dishes followed one at a time.

braised chicken and clear noodles IIRC. AIUD.

I was a huge fan of the skewers, both the gizzards and the lamb.

The chicken and noodles looked like my cat’s food tossed with noodles, but as mentioned above was superbly flavored. Very much comfort food.

The Jellyfish HEAD was misleadingly named on the menu as Jellyfish and cucumber. The two are very different. I liked this dish but only needed a few bites. It was refreshing AND rich at once.

I liked the clams and would have finished off the plate if not for being too full lready. Very standard, good clams.

The cauliflower was great. Really more of a dry pot than griddled. The pot had a sauce on the bottom and very simple veggies in a well-balanced sauce. I sprinkled some of the cumin and chile dip on this.

The Cucumber with clear noodles is classic Sichuan all the way.

Ya gotta watch your hands as you cook the skewers.

5 Likes

Thanks.

And thanks again for working the grill!

Please keep me on the list next time something pops up!

1 Like