ho dinner apr 27-31- Great NY Noodletown

H & I are here. Might be a bit of a wait - our table has people at it, and they don’t look close to being done.

Well, they’re done, we’re done & we had a great time once again with you all. Nice meeting ElJefe & mig as well. See you again soon.

1 Like

That was great! Totally worth a rainy trek there and back. The salt-baked items we got were just amazingly good, as was the soft shell crab and the e-foo noodles.

I made it to Malai on Smith St just in time for a night cap :icecream:

1 Like

OMG I am SO FULL – kudos on the ice cream :joy:

I have my ice cream waiting for me here at home. Good to see everyone!

Let’s see if I can remember everything (!) we ate:

Roast Pig (not Baby Pig)

Roast Duck

Soy Sauce Chicken

(ETA: Poached) Chicken with Scallion Sauce

Salt-Baked Mixed Seafood

Salt-Baked Tofu & Eggplant

Salt-Baked Soft Shell Crabs

Snow Pea Leaves

Bok Choy

Crab (ETA: not Lobster) E-Fu Noodles

Mixed Meat & Seafood Pan-Fried Noodles

Congee (no pics, and I didn’t try this)

Oranges!

(ETA: I thought we got some Char Siu too but we did not)

4 Likes

Crab e-fu noodles (lobster was 86’ed)
Poached chicken breast with ginger scallion sauce

1 Like

And Poached Chicken w/Ginger (cross posted w/Dave)

1 Like

My favorites for the evening:
'> Snow pea leaves (yep, the vegetable goes up top)
'> Soft shell crabs (though they were quite salty, as some of us discussed)
'> Mixed seafood (perfectly fried, and not over-salted)
'> Both noodles
'> Oranges – so sweet!

(For some reason, I enjoyed the roasted meats much more on my last visit a couple of months ago.)

2 Likes

I thought the salt-baked mixed seafood was better than the crab, which was a little soggy. But still well worth the trip. And I preferred the fried noodles to the e-fu, so surprises for small h all around. Great to see everyone! We should go someplace less frenetic next time; I felt like we were done almost before we started!

2 Likes

Over the last year or so I’ve noticed as I age, a lot of food tastes saltier. The crabs were on the verge of too salty but somehow I managed to get through it :slight_smile: For me the mixed seafood was the dish of night, the two sauteed veggie dishes were very good and I liked the duck.

left to my own devices, I’d have ordered chow fun, a flowering chive dish and the ginger scallion noodles but I’ve had those dishes so many times, it’s fun to try new things. Actually, I was at noodletown with a chef maybe…15 years ago and he said every nyc chef he knew was obsessed with the ginger scallion noodles.

I completely agree with @small_h , perhaps next time we can choose a place that slows down the pace and allows us to linger. Once we’re done with travel we’ll have everyone over for a homemade pizza/wine night and/or I’ll put together a tour. Truth be told, I haven’t adapted my NY style pizza to our UES oven and to some extent, now that we’re living in NYC and have great pizza five mins from our apt, not sure it makes sense. Still, we can make a meal of bar pies, detroit and chicago style pizza.

best,

2 Likes

On my long, wet walk back to the F at East Broadway, I stopped into this place wondering if I had appetite for a novel dessert. It was very crowded, so rather than eat some revelatory new sweet standing in a corner with a sopping umbrella, I ducked out and opted for Malai instead, but now reading about this place I really want to go back not just for sweets, but for everything!

Oh, I love Kopitiam. I go for the oyster omelet or the noodle soup.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to pizza instruction! I’ll make and bring some dough, if you tell me how? :wink:

Heading to Noodletown Tuesday with my cousin. It was to try the soft shell crab, but maybe not from your review? Do you mean the Lo Mein ginger scallion? Thinking maybe lobster with ginger scallion a good substitute for the crab (but thinking also maybe my cousin doesn’t eat lobster ). He does like salt, though (I’m more sensitive to too much). Love snow pea leaves, so will definitely get those!

You know, my pizza game is pretty strong (or it was - haven’t made it in a while). I would be up for a pizza potluck.

1 Like

Boy that dinner looks great. I would love to attend a future dinner, so will keep my eyes out for the next one. And will try to make it to NoodleTown soon…it’s been so long for me and everything looked so tasty.

If people want to make pizza , maybe we should have a pre-pizza dough making/wine drinking get together at our place, store the dough balls in our fridge and bake them up a day or two later.

If we’re moving in this direction, I have to spend some time figuring out our oven. I had a pizza steel fabricated for the dimensions of our westchester electric oven but the racks in our ues gas oven reduce the usable area of the steel, making it harder to launch off the peel. Also, I could bake 16 inchers in our old oven, not sure even 14 works in our new oven and then there’s gas vs electric, convection vs non-convection.

I have some work to do to get back to this…
last pie

2 Likes

That sounds like a lot of fun @vinouspleasure
I am more full of envy than before of the meal at Noodletown tho i generally avoid rushy places and standing in lines, etc Maybe we can try again at a less peak time?

That sounds fabulous, though I hesitate to make this a giant problem for you in the figuring out department

Rushy it was, but we had a reservation, so no(t much) waiting.