Hi cookware passionates!

Hi Meekah,

How have your Covid 19 experiences changed your home cooking?

Ray

The small Sarpaneva pot is iconic. I’ve handled them, and the weight and enamel are at least as good as Staub and LC. If I found a bargain on one, I’d try it, but no way at list prices.

The larger one doesn’t have the J-style wooden yoke/bar, if that matters to you.

I made do with less, I made do with what I had, I depended on box produce deliveries and deliveries in general for a long time, so I had to lower my expectations as to what I could actually get. And i was grateful for anything. Instead of “I must have these ingredients to create my masterpiece” I practiced enforced cooking from the pantry and the results were happily very satisfying. It was more a mental adaptation than a technique one. I stayed in for more than a year.

I haven’t been able to do many catering style activities–just starting up a little now.

I scaled back–developed my kitchen knife “batterie.”

Hope you write one of those long posts with too much information soon!

Ray

Hi,

I have the 3L 20cm Sarpaneva. It’s a very sturdy pot. In fact I measured my Sarpaneva is 134 grams heavier than my 26cm Staub cocotte, when both are measured without a lid. Sarpaneva 3992g without lid and 4875g with the lid.

You are right that it may feel a bit cumbersome to use the wooden piece to lift the lid, but even if it does feel so, it is actually quite steady and will not fall even with some failure from your side. You can use a towel for example also, but it’s true that it’s not perhaps super convenient to lift the lid.

The bottom underside is bare cast iron though and that’s my biggest complaint about the pot.

Hi, Pertti:

Have you seen any rust on the bottom underside? I ask because it’s common with other brands that what looks bare is actually coated with a transparent layer of what’s called frit. Maybe yours is, too?

Aloha,
Kaleo

Yes it has rusted I’m afraid, I have read from Finnish forums about similar happenings with rust. For example here, Google translate seemed to do quite well:

https://keskustelu.suomi24.fi/t/15515963/apua-valurautapata-ruostuu!

For this reason I don’t store food in it in the fridge for example. I just used a bit of bkf on this area in the photo, washed it clean and dried, color turned light. Then put a bit of water on it, it starts appearing fast.

Good looking pot.

1 Like

Yes it’s very nice. I don’t like the bare bottom thing, but don’t think it’s a huge issue. I could probably season it better in the oven, but haven’t yet.

When you said bare bottom, I am still trying to figure out. Do you mean the bottom exterior where the heat is directly applied. That looks too shiny to me to be cast iron.

Your interior is enameled, right? You can store food there without worrying foods reacting to the enameled surface.

The black in the outer bottom middle is enamelled, then the lighter colored ring outside it, where heat would be applied is certainly not enamelled at least. I had oil layer on the bottom, that can add some shine. I only BKFd part of the bottom.

If there is something else than bare cast “in the mix” or “on it” for that bottom, it’s not working very well.

I now BKFd the whole outer bottom and washed and dried it, then took a photo. I think I’m gonna still go with bare cast iron. Milled, but smoothed also.

And yes everywhere else, this is enamelled.

Yes, mentioned in my other reply that it is enamelled elsewhere than the outer bottom. However it has dirted our fridge and I believe it would have to do with some moisture forming there… I could try seasoning the bottom properly and trying again then. Or placing paper under it or something… but I have not really used the Sarpaneva so much.

Otherwise I have ECI from Staub and LC where I store food indeed and often also precold them in the fridge when doing so, while I have cooked the food in another pan.

I also have about 16 or so bare cast iron or carbon steel pans combined and love using them :slight_smile: