Help! with Tomatoes in Container - going away for 5 days

I have practically lived on my deck since I found them. JMF mentioned to spray the leaves with water which forces them to move. I plan on doing that late afternoon - who I have my armor on!

Vile creatures. Best of luck!

1 Like

Well, now I have blossom end rot on my big beefs! Does that mean all the tomatoes on that vine will have it? Next year, I may just do farmers market!

:confused::confounded::disappointed::grimacing::scream::sob:

Iā€™m so done!

1 Like

All plants are 50 percent off at Home depot why
donā€™t you pick something up
My neighbor got some nice containers of blueberries.

1 Like

Growing food myself gave me some serious perspectives on how tough a job our farmers have. Its not for everyone. Try to do it as an enjoyment.

My current circumstances, small kids who are not interested in farming, general lack of time , a desire to get out of home during weekends, severe lack of success in the last 3 years because of lack of time to prep the soil and pests, etc caused me to leave the raised beds fallow this last couple of years. I am happier for it. and I may get back into it once i have more time to dedicate to this. I am not saying you should do what I do. But the growing process shouldnā€™t be a source of stress.

Right you are!

1 Like

Iā€™ll just leave this here.

2 Likes

That is hilarious

That says it all in the title ā€œthe quest for the perfect gardenā€. Ainā€™t no such thing.

delete

My cherry tomatoes in the containers are doing horrible this year. The leaves are all spotted or yellowed.

But the large fully potted beefsteak tomato plant I got at half price at Home Depot is very healthy, dark green, lush, and flowering, with small fruit starting. It is in a different location that doesnā€™t get as much sun, that veggies usually donā€™t like.

You never know with a gardenā€¦

1 Like

I forgot to reply. I have heard before several times about problems using Coast of Maine soil.

As opposed to soil from the Maine Coastā€¦

Donā€™t have any info or details.

Oh no!!! Well, Iā€™m not surprised now. My neighbor gets hers from Home Depot and uses the Miracle Grow organic. Gets great tomatoes every year. Same sun exposure as we have. Next year IF I do it again, Iā€™m heading to home depot!

Are you saying that you have problems with your tomatoes now?

I think I got rid of the hornworm. My big beef plant has blossom end rot. My plums look good as do my germans - but I hope they get bigger!

If you mean me, yes. They leaves arenā€™t too healthy. But tons of cherry tomatoes are being produced. I did move the plant to a different area to segregate it, and may move it again later or tomorrow. I do not want to infect my beautiful hot peppers with anything just in case, even though they donā€™t get the same problemsā€¦ usually. One of the things about container gardening that makes things easy. You can move things around, especially if you have a hand truck.

I researched as well as I could, and all I come up with is problems related to the excessive rain and humidity this year, and unhealthy root systems due to the hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold Spring and Summer.

I am having this same issue. The two tomato plants that I bought at our high end ā€œherb farmā€ (they sell everything) are puny and yellow, while the two plants I bought in front of my local bodega (from a local farm) are five or six feet tall and covered with big green tomatoes. The one good plant near the two puny ones even has a few yellow leaves itself, so itā€™s something contagious. The bad ones were 6.99 and the good ones were $3ā€¦meanwhile even half the herbs I got at the fancy place have withered away. Even some of the mint! Price and pedigree is no guarantee I guess.

Then again, the tomatoes I grew from seeds are bushy but very small with maybe a few flowers (havenā€™t even looked at them lately). So I guess the weather may have something to do with it too. Iā€™m going to really get out there tomorrow and take a closer look.

Are the plants with yellow and spotted leaves planted in the ground? If so it is likely caused by a soil-borne fungus. Pruning the bottom leaves fairly early in the season can help to prevent soil splashing up onto the leaves when watering/raining. Copper dust also helps to prevent fungus.