Help! with Tomatoes in Container - going away for 5 days

I used Coast of Maine soil.

I think you are all set really. Seems like quality soil, water regularly and scale back the water a little bit when the tomatoes are growing to concentrate the sugar.

If you feel like it, put the pot next to a bright color wall.

I just usually let them grow like weeds. LOL. If you want them to grow upright, get a cage.

I have them in a cage and I have stakes. I actually did spray with epsom salt solution yesterday - but not a high concentrate. It was the suggested 2 tsp/gallon. No bright walls though! Thanks for the info - I feel better!

Oh by the way, dependent on what type of critters you have around, you may find that your problem is not growing, but keeping what you have grown from all those squirrels, birds, etc…

Yes - we don’t get squirrels on the deck but last year I had birds popping by. I put some reflective tape on top of the stakes. Then I say get out of here a lot!

Looking today at my tomatoes - I scrutinize them every day - I have one yellow flower on the big beef, several wanna be flowers on the German and some odd looking green not yet yellow flowers on the plum and some yellow. Am I panicking for nothing? Top is Big Beef, next 2 are regal plum and the last is German.

All I have so far is flowers too. I had even more and then after that cold spell they fell off. It will be a late harvest I think.

1 Like

I have so few of those, even! But, it really did just get hot. Here’s hoping!

Fingers crossed: I am harvesting peas and radishes right now, at least.

1 Like

I think you’re fine. You’ll have fruit soon and you might just have late maturing varieties.

Hope so!!!

Finally!!! Lots of flowers and I see my first teeny, tiny tomato!!!

3 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::+1::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato:
Congratulations well done … it takes a village!!!

1 Like

Now- prepare to eat tomatoes every single meal for a month. Not that its a bad thing.

2 Likes

Can’t wait!!

Can’t wait for six weeks of daily tomato focused dinners!

1 Like

My sidewalk garden is growing wildly… So many bees and butterflies!

First harvest. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Me again! Saw these on my leaves and ground last two days. What do you think- some kind of excrement? Doesn’t appear to be bugs.

It’s hornworm droppings. Seriously.

Ugh. Those are some seriously disgusting bugs. And they are very good at blending in…check the plants very, very carefully and often.