HELP with soft-boiled eggs, plz!

I’m familiar with Kenji‘s scientific breakdown of the different stages of cooked eggs, but thank you for taking the time to write it all out :wink:

I don’t generally store my eggs in the fridge - be it here or in the US, and I assume most people in Germany don’t either, yet I’ve had soft boiled eggs throughout my entire life growing up here. Maybe I remember them more perfect than they actually were, but could it really be that only previously refrigerated eggs can be perfectly soft-boiled? :thinking:

I like them in a cup, btw :wink:

It looks to me like, and I’m probably wrong, I usually am, that your egg is not completely covered in the boiling water?

the entire thing hinges on the rate of how fast the heat penetrates the egg from outside to inside.
too fast you get rubbery whites for a runny yolk.
too slow you get over done yolks with uncongealed whites.

the trick is the egg starting temp and time - as the boiling point of water (and steam) are the same / / / given altitude / / /
if you are doing soft/hard boiled eggs in a mobile camper - anywhere from sea level to 2500 meters . . . that will be a data keeping challenge. can be done, you just have to know how high you are (see “smart phone”)

I’ve done Fruehstueck with soft eggs, brotchen, etc, , , for many years in many hotels and Zimmer Frei situations - so this is not an impossible mission…

The link below mentions cooking the eggs for 4 minutes and 5 minutes for a large egg.
Of couse that depends on how many eggs you are cooking.

I refrigerate my eggs but did come across this resource and thought that it might be helpful to you.

https://blvdbakery.com/baking/best-answer-how-do-you-soft-boil-an-egg-from-room-temperature.html

1 Like

Thx! Usually only two at a time.

1 Like

I’m currently in Berlin & usually not very high at that hour :joy:

1 Like

No, just an inch following @Saregama’s method.

1 Like

EUREKA!!! Believe it or not, but today was the day :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

I give you The Eternally Elusive, But Finally Perfected Soft-Boiled Egg:

The method, you ask? Dropping refrigerated eggs in boiling water for 6 minutes.

Of all the people I’ve asked, the unlikeliest person I would ever turn to for cooking advice aka my sister suggested this, and it’s a winner. Halle-freakin-lujah. Guess I’ll be refrigerating our eggs from now on.

Thank you all for your input. I’m happy as a queen <3

7 Likes

Congrats!

I use a heat sensitive timer. Still need to adjust the length of time depending on the size of the eggs. The colour changes. I usually take eggs out when the white border reaches (almost) half way between soft and medium.

Looks like this one (photos lifted from webz):

4 Likes

Cool gadget! And you find it pretty reliable? I may get one of those…

Woo hoo! Congrats on your victory! :partying_face:

1 Like

It was an eggcellent party here :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, it works for me. I can’t be arsed to cook eggs to perfection. I’m horrible at it.

As mentioned previously, still need time adjustment depending on size of eggs. Oh, I also slip them into a pot of cold tap water for 5 minutes. Also note that I don’t peel the eggs. Simply slice them right in half with a knife and scoop out the whole halves with a soup spoon in one go.

1 Like