Help! I broke my elbow!

Hi all. So far hubby grilled a big bottom round that I marinated and a few bunches of asparagus. Boiled up a dozen eggs and used the food processor to chop a the last of the onions, carrots and celery I had, it should last the rest of the week. Also hubby steamed a head of cauliflower and potatoes, tossed it all in my big FP with butter and some cream. Voila mashed veggies. Unfortunately the pain meds have killed my appetite. So I am snacking with my toddler (she won’t eat unless I do). Please keep sending recipes I keep hoping something will “wake up” my appetite again.

1 Like

Bravo.

Even though pain meds have killed your appetite it is very important to stay hydrated and to eat in ways that deter the risks of constipation.

Do you like applesauce? Baked potatoes with toppings? You also need protein, and for me, something like a chicken soup with a decorative pasta (like alphabet or little wagon wheels) plus an egg stirred in is good. I happen to like garlic, so that goes in too. There are lots of great recipes for garlic-egg soup, some with smoked paprika or some with rosemary, depending on what wakes up your appetite.

In Spain, gazpacho is used to provoke the appetite in hot weather. You can toss any combo of vegetables you like in a blender, plus some stale bread and a bit of vinegar – the vinegar is key. Make it is spicy or not spicy or garlicky or not garlicky as you like.

2 Likes

And BRAVO to you! Sometimes people get into giving medical advice rather than eating/food advice. Yours is a great example of the right way to do it.

If you like cheese or good dry sausages, that will be easy. Buy some good cheese, bread, serve with green salad. You eat like a king with a glass of wine!

I agree with HolyTerroir, gazpacho is good for waking up appetite. If not salad with vinegar, or a bit spiciness does the job.

Grilled asparagus is one of my favorites! Pain meds are the worst- and the catch is you also can’t take them on an empty stomach. Smoothies come in handy- you can take advantage of hubby’s help to make a bunch of individual servings and freeze, just defrost as needed and slurp- a great way to pack in a lot of nutrition with fruit, spinach, yogurt, some nut butter, oats, etc…

2 Likes

Would any of these work?

All I will add that I was just like your husband a few years ago. My wife got sick and started cooking and now I don’t go out to eat very often because mine is better. You might be surprised what this elbow does to your husband. Good luck.

4 Likes

Here are a few more:

You’d be surprised