Help! I broke my elbow!

I’ve read twenty replies, so far, and have not seen mention of a Crockpot. Could your husband load it in the morning, before leaving for work, set on low, so dinner awaits when he returns? This would not be much of a stretch for a non-cook.

Putting a meatloaf together also isn’t much of a stretch either. Put some baking potatoes in the oven and he’d have a supper ready in an hour. Bake a spaghetti squash at the same time - see below. If the meatloaf mix was pre-assembled, you might be able to do the oven using your left hand …

Pre-made meatballs in a jarred sauce might be a first step. Next, introduce him to Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Butter sauce. Using the already cooked spaghetti squash, you have dinner #3.

My husband does not cook but he can follow simple, clear directions. If your husband can cook hamburgers and steaks, he can move to pork and chicken. If he’s used to grilling, have him grill them. When he’s comfortable, it might be a good time to introduce the joys of single pan meals. I think most people could assemble a chicken-rice combo without much trouble. Again, after mastering this simple dish, move on.

Would your 3.5 y o be able to “help” dad make a pizza? Using a pre-made Boboli crust, they could invent their own new favorite.

Microwaved vegetables + broth + blender = soup.
Zucchini + onion + dill
Carrot + curry + peeled apple
Potato + milk + chopped kielbasa
Corn + leek + potato + milk
Tomatoes + basil + mozzarella (topping)
As the weather warms, how about gazpacho?

Quesadillas are dead simple and a great way to use leftovers.

Let us know how things are going. This is a great community for help and you might be inundated with ideas. Good luck on your recovery.

3 Likes

Speaking of slow cooker, here’s a great one from Rick Bayless. I fixed it not long ago for 2 and 4 y.o. and left out the chipotles in adobo. Served with all manner of taco fixings so everyone could have what they wanted.

Thank you all so much. I really starting to panic about how I was going to get us fed. Hubby and I sat down and did 10 meal plans than we would like. I discovered he hate chopping stuff up so I/he dragged out my 3 cup food processor for onion, garlic, ect. My neighbor gave me a 3 cup rice cooker so that something I can do with one hand. He was the one that came up with the slow cooker idea. As it turns out he wants to experiment with it. We decided to do the cooking after putting daughter to bed-much less stress all around. Thank you again for all of you wonderful tips and tricks. I will definitely check in during the coming weeks to let you know how we are doing.

3 Likes

Good for both of you!!! And, hey, if you’re putting the kiddo down before dinner, then put those chipotles in adobo in that pork tinga :slight_smile:

Re chopping, I have this. I don’t use it all that often but Bob does. It really is pretty slick.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/sharper-image-4-in-1-chop-and-slice/1040131740?skuId=40131740&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand__&adpos=1o2&creative=43742659909&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw6sC5BRCogcaY_dKZ2nESJABsZihxIV5kIs74pVfyh-LLjciqNcSK3omGO4_lsLpMF8ycIRoC2bbw_wcB

Great news, thanks for keeping us up to date, redheadcook.
There are frozen chopped onions and minced garlic in a jar, not to mention the dehydrated products. Your husband can make use of these shortcuts to get you through the worst of it. As non-chowish as it is, there are also condensed soups that can make his job easier (she writes as a retired teaching chef!). There are plenty of shortcuts to take during this period – you are not aiming for cutting-edge cuisine, but getting through 8 grisly weeks.
Don’t forget the wine!

LOL, Sherri, re the wine. Also I’m betting her husband will come to enjoy cooking more and there will be more ongoing.

A rice cooker and slow cooker will help considerably.
For during the day “snackable” fruits and veggies like sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, grapes, baby carrots, berries…
Kids love “helping” in the kitchen, if nothing else they could help take the lid off of a tupperware or hold a container while you scoop out of it, that kind of thing.

Best of luck, i hope everything heals quickly!

Good for you!! Let me give you this tip for the slow cooker;

1.) Set it on the counter on a level location
2.) Take the cord and wrap it around the machine securely
3.) When handling it, make sure the lid and insert are on tight
4.) Lift it gently
5.) Take it to the garbage and throw the thing out!!!

I HATE CROCK POTS / SLOW COOKERS!!! (sorry had to vent)

I understand there is a very specific need for you…but uggghhhhh. I call them crap-pots (instead of crock) whatever you put in comes out tasting like crap! (Same consistency too) Now I’m sure many of you have good recipes and can make good meals in them, I have NEVER used one. My wife, who can’t cook a pot of pasta has attempted to make slow cooker meals…as I told her the first time she ever cooked for me she made “hamburger helper”, she served it to me and I said; “Do you have another box, because this hamburger needs a lot more help”.

Rant over. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Good luck.

1 Like

I have a deep and lasting resentment of slow cookers.

I was once bought one as part of a leaving present from somewhere I worked. The resentment comes from the fact that my job had become redundant so I wasnt leaving of my own accord. And the fuckwits buy a slow cooker for someone they have deliberately given a lot more time on their hands to do stuff at home. I think they were taking the piss. I hope the general manager died a long and painful death. Not that I’m the grudge-bearing type, you understand, but I make an exception for that bastard.

4 Likes

Easy Harters…easy…can we just wish he ate some bad oysters and shit his bed? Let’s just leave it at that buddy. Glad your not the grudge bearing type!! lol

2 Likes

If your wife can’t make a pot of pasta, using a slow cooker wasn’t going to magically make her into a good cook. :wink:

I use my slow cooker for only a handful of things – chili, dal (indian lentils), pulled pork, those chili sauce-grape jelly meatballs for parties, and homemade dog food (beef soup bones, stew meat, simmered for hours in the cooker then add rice and lots of frozen veggies; cook to porridge consistency, cool and freeze; used to supplement my dog’s dry food).

1 Like

1982, that was.

I hope to be over it sometime.

5 Likes

Yeah, that pork tinga I linked to above comes from Bayless’s “Mexican Everyday” where he takes some of his other recipes and streamlines them. This was a real hit and IMneverHO suffered not one bit from the slow cooker. I will say however that I’ve never believed that you could leave it on all day (8+ hours) and not have it overcooked.

NotJrvedivici wrote “I understand there is a very specific need for you…”

Exactly!
Husband is not prepping for the Culinary Olympics, he’s a cooking newbie trying to get a meal on the table. Let’s give them a break and make it as easy as possible.

If my non-cooking husband needed to be our chief cook for eight weeks, you can bet he’d make use of any and every crutch available. Personally, I am not a Crockpot fan for most food. Living in the desert SW, I find them helpful, during hot summer months to cook dry beans which would otherwise heat our house too much.

1 Like

There are SO many easy pasta dishes that are super easy. Here’s just one:

Many markets now sell already-chopped veggies, especially onions, celery and carrots. I can’t think of a better time to use that shortcut than in your circumstance! Good luck and do keep us posted. And best wishes for a speedy recovery!

2 Likes

Just saw this old recipe for linguine with lemon sauce.

I was going to suggest a FP for chopping onions, bell peppers, celery, etc. I often will chop a big onion in it on Sunday and use it all week; same with peppers if my menu includes them. Good luck! I foresee eggs in your future…can he saute vegetables and then cook in some eggs? Fried egg sandwiches. Hopefully your grocery store has a decent (but probably not inexpensive) selection of prepared foods he can grab in a pinch.

1 Like

This just popped up on NYT. Momofuku’s Bo Ssam. He could just do the pork shoulder.

BTW do you have a rice cooker? That relieves one kitchen chore.

Many useful tips were mentioned already.

In fact cooking, one always need to wash, which is the annoying part when 1 hand is available. One can still open cans, jars bottles (knee force + remaining hand). Frozen chopped food can be useful in your situation.

I will opte for “improved ready made food”, like pasta sauce by adding more vegetables and cooking filets of meat with sauces.

Also some vegetables you can cook them whole in oven for 1 hour, like egg plants, bell peppers with a drizzle of olive oil Cooling them off and peel them.

Marinated meat night before can make meat much more delicious, even on grill.

Kid will eat steamed or mashed vegetables.

I guess if I were in your position, probably 2 months of take away pizzas. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

1 Like