Hello sweet potatoes?

When my mom visits me (in Greater Boston), she always grabs Japanese yams at Hmart for a snack. She nukes them, skin on, no salt or anything else and then slices them up. She and dad enjoy them with their afternoon tea.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to have to check them out!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been finding the white-fleshed sweet potato at stores that stock more Caribbean produce lately. I first tried it in Barbados, 25 years ago, but only started buying them this year.

Iā€™ve also been making the Japanese sweet potatoes more frequently.

3 Likes

Tubers (the majority of potatoes), yams ( Latin named malanga, Ʊame, etcetra) and sweet potatoes are not my cup of tea ā€¦

Have a nice day ahead.

1 Like

They work for me in a jerk type way:

In a glug or two of oil fry some jerk seasoning for about 2 minutes. Add bite sized chicken thigh meat and stir till browned. Add coconut milk, peeled cubed sweet potatoes and salt and simmer until pots and chick are cooked, about 10-15 mins. Finish with lime juice and chopped cilantro. You can involve mango too, if you feel the urge. Serve with rice.

6 Likes

Jamaican/ Caribbean Curry
Sweet Potato Thoran (with Chilies, Curry Leaves and Coconut)
Taiwanese Fried Sweet Potato Balls (å°ę¹¾åœ°ē“œēƒ)
Chinese Sweet Potato Pancakes ēŗ¢č–Æ鄼
Stir fried Szechwan Laziji Style

4 Likes

They do really nicely when caramelized, so I like them as fries, roasted cubes, or latkes/fritters. Their taste and texture is also so similar to winter squash, that a sweet potato does very well in a pie or a soup too. You can take the flavor in a lot of different directions. If I was really playing, I would do a mash and mix it with some cream and churn it for sweet potato ice cream. Certainly topped with some candied nuts and maybe a buttery caramel.

4 Likes

I agree, but prefer the texture of a dense winter squash in most preparations. This thread has left me trying to figure out when and why. Perhaps the squash is lighter and less cloying. I donā€™t think I have ever used the word cloying in a sentence before.

3 Likes

This is my own favorite recipe ā€” https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2019/11/12/the-best-ever-sweet-potato-recipe-liza-tanner-boyds-bourbon-sweet-potato-casserole-2/

2 Likes

This African Vegetable Stew is a recipe Iā€™ve made since I found it a LONG time ago on Usenet discussion boards pre-AOL. :laughing: I liked that it had the sweet potatoes/yams, Swiss chard, rice, tomatoes, and garbanzo beans all in one dish.

There are others out there called ā€œAfrican Groundnut Stewā€ that are very similar but include peanuts. This vegetable stew is good on its own, or as a side dish for grilled chicken. Iā€™ve found it best to use a very large straight-sided 3" deep skillet to fit all of the ingredients.

It serves 4 as a full main dish, easily 6-8 as a side dish, depending on other items being served.

https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Miscellany/African_Recipes.html

5 Likes

Looks interesting, thanks for the link.

1 Like

I make a vegetarian chili that has sweet potatoes and black beans. My family loves sweet potatoes in most forms, just not the gloppy Thanksgiving casserole with marshmallows on it.

5 Likes

Salt? There is no need! Outside one of the Korean markets around here there was a rickety sweet potato cart. The Korean man who used to run the cart would roast the most aromatic sweet potato inside with charcoal. Nothing added. Perfect for a winter day.

The old man has since retired, I think. Some young people are now staffing the cartā€¦

2 Likes

I have a Chinese friend whose husband used to own Hunan Best Restaurant on Montgomery County, Md until Covid hit. Her SIL owns one of the best seafood restaurant in the DC metro area. On special occasions, they would cook and give me beef short ribs steamed with sweet potato. I never attempted it
Here are 2 recipes if interested. It is a bit of work. The ribs use are pork instead of beef short ribs.

4 Likes

Those sound amazing.

Thanks, those look good. Must try.

quite a number of food / dishes that are very well enjoyed absolutely ā€œplainā€

dishes with a list of seasonings longer than my arm never make it into my kitchenā€¦

1 Like

Until you get tired of them. Our house is very tired of roasted sweet potatoes. Iā€™ve been roasting them for 15 years.

Any sweet potatoes will need to be dressed up this fall and winter, in new recipes. Same with carrots and parnsips. Iā€™d been making them a lot since one person Iā€™m cooking for canā€™t eat any spinach, brassica or mustard family veg (all relatives of cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi , arugula, turnip greens), so carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes had become a big part of my winter cooking.

3 Likes

Found while reading something else :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Roasted, cooked, friedā€¦ all that is great. But the most popular in my country, and my favourite, is much more simple than that.
We just boil them with skin.
Then scrape some fresh coconut.
Then make a sambol with ā€œNai mirisā€ (naga morich). Grind naga morich and shallot onions into a fine paste and add some lime juice.
Eat the boiled sweet potatoes with scraped coconut and the sambol.
You may say itā€™s primitive but itā€™s really tasty. Guaranteed. :smile:

8 Likes