Hello Dolly Bars--Order of Layers

Tonight Wahine is making these bars for a friend. I read the Food.com prep she printed, and the layers seemed different than I remember my mom using.

The Food.com one goes–from bottom to topping: crust, coconut, chocolate chips, nuts, butterscotch chips. I seem to remember the coconut on TOP, and chocolate chips right on the crust.

I know there aren’t really rules on this, but for the HD experts/addicts here, what layering do you think best?

Mahalo

These are vaguely familiar to me, but the links aren’t bringing up the recipe for me.

Chocolate chips on top of coconut layer is a little more common in my experience up here in Canada.

Serious Eats has coconut on top of chocolate.

Different, but do you also do Nanaimo Bars? No real issues on layers with those!

1 Like

yes, to me should be crust, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, condensed milk.

1 Like

I do make Nanaimo Bars, no variation on those layers :joy:. They’re called Tofino Bars when walnuts are used instead of almonds in the base.

But what of Ucluelet bars?

1 Like

Too healthy.

2 Likes

Crust (first bake - 5 minutes) then coconut, chocolate, peanut butter, sweetened condensed milk, walnuts. Second bake 22 minutes.

1 Like

Adding peanut butter is a new one for me, thanks. And you don’t pour the sweetened milk over the top layer of nuts? Interesting.

How do you spread the peanut butter thin enough for that layer?

Drop by 1/4 tsp , using 1/2 C. creamy peanut butter for a 9x13 pan. It’s been years since I made these, and that amount of fussiness with the peanut butter measure in the recipe may be why… Now, I’d just “dot” as evenly as possible.

I double-checked and the instructions are indeed to drizzle the sweetened condensed milk and top with the chopped walnuts.

Noting that I have several other “Dream Bar” recipes that call for stirring all the topping ingredients together and spreading that over the baked crust, so layering sequence is “none”.

Thanks.