Heights 167 Pt Pleasant Beach

We’ve been meaning to try Heights 167 for a while now and decided it was the time. Heights 167 describes itself as a Latin fusion restaurant, representing the food diversity of Jackson Heights, Queens, NYC. The 167 refers to the number of languages spoken in Jackson Heights. The restaurant is in the strip of stores on Route 35 S, just south of Brave New World.

We started with the Cubano Sliders and Pork Tamales (a special). Both were delicious.

For mains, The Sprout had the HEIGHTS BIRRIA PLATTER - Slow cooked Brisket and Short Ribs served with rice and beans and a side of tortillas, and consommé.

Mr Bean went with PERUVIAN SHRIMP - Shrimp marinated in an earthy Peruvian marinade and served with their signature green magic sauce, rice & beans.

And I had the PICANHA - Tender juicy steak slices cooked on a Brazilian rodizio served with Yuca fries, a small Heights salad, and chimichurri sauce.

Everything was delicious!!! Their “green magic sauce” was especially good.

12 Likes

That’s my kind of place but it’s just about Bennie season so it’s after Labor Day for me

That’s one reason we decided to go last night. It was the probably the last Saturday we’ll do out to eat, with very rare exceptions that aren’t Bennie friendly, until September. Heights 167 would probably not be a big draw but getting OTB is.

2 Likes

This looks great! Definitely going to check it out. Thanks for posting about it.

1 Like

You’re very welcome. Give a shout out if you ever want to meet up there.

1 Like

Please, what is Bennie season?

1 Like

When folks from New York and North Jersey invade for the summer lol

Benny: Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, New York

2 Likes

Oh that is too funny! I somehow knew it was probably something I couldn’t just google up. Thanks.

1 Like

Definitely a jersey shore term! Those are the train stops on the route down from NYC. Some people also refer to them as Shoobies because they’d carry their lunches in shoe boxes.

1 Like

Thanks for this explanation, definitely unfamiliar to us life long west coasties. I can only imagine how packed everything gets during Bennie season :joy:

1 Like

It really has already started. Two weekends ago the weather was glorious and I was out on the boardwalk here in Asbury Park and muttering “they’re baaaaaack.” It’s the price of living here… My town is busy at least on the weekends year-round, but it gets insane now.

1 Like

Hopefully then, the season is upon you for getting together with friends and family for backyard barbecues and the like. :watermelon: I’m ready for sure.
ETA: I’ve learned so much this week, including that people in the “know” disapprove of toasted bagels. :upside_down_face: lol

1 Like

WHAT??? I’m glad I don’t pay attention to too many of those discussions.

1 Like

I can’t remember at the moment which topic it was under, but it was surprising!

A big thanks to @CurlzNJ and @Roro1831 for explaining Bennies. I always think of Shoobies as Bennies from Philadelphia and usually found on Long Beach Island and beaches south of LBI.

2 Likes

I’m loving the distinctions and nuance of this. The shoebox thing is surprising to me though - urban types using what’s handy?

Yeah I always heard shoobies were a south Jersey thing to refer to the Philly crowd

2 Likes

That would be my assumption.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure these names have been around since the early 1900s – not so sure anyone’s using shoeboxes these days.

1 Like

You never know, we could start a trend lol

2 Likes