Heavy 14 QT copper stock pot from Brooklyn Copper Cookware

My second purchase from BCC arrived - a 14 QT tin-lined copper stock pot with cast iron handles. It is 9 & 3/4" wide, 11 & 3/4" tall, and over 3mm thick. It weighs a whopping 22 lbs empty, and comes with a standard BCC lid. It is both a work of art, and a workout! This is an amazing piece of artisanal cookware, and a throwback to a long standing tradition of cooking with heavy copper cookware.

BCC did make a 16 QT version of the stockpot, but it was apparently too hard to apply the tin lining, and so they reduced the height. They just made a batch of 14 QT stockpots, and mine came from this recent production run. They should hopefully be adding them to their online store soon.

I should add that I have no affiliation with Brooklyn Copper Cookware other than as a customer. Another cooking related forum (eG) moderator called me a “shill” and my BCC review “spam”. Even though I clarified my position, I no longer participate there.

So, you may ask, why make stock in a large heavy copper stock pot? Other than it being immensely satisfying to use such lovely a beast of a copper pot, the distribution of heat is very even around the stock. I have been able to maintain the temperature of the stock around 190 degrees F for hours on end with a mere murmur of a simmer. Heat is not only distributed by the gentle circulation of liquid, but also by the base and conductive walls of the heavy pot. Others more knowledgeable than I can can weigh in on the merits of using such a heavy copper stock pot.

I made my first batch of stock and took pictures along the way (see below). I saved the bones from several batches of duck ragu, to which I added 2 roast duck legs to have some meat in the stock, as well as aromatics and herbs. I started with 5 litres (over a gallon) of cold water, simmered for 5 hours, strained and filtered the liquid, reduced it, cooled it, removed the fat, and bottled 2.3 litres (about 2 quarts) of duck stock. This duck stock will be perfect as a braising liquid for duck ragu, or making risotto to serve with seared duck breasts etc.

What a beautiful pot, congrats! I love love love using copper for stock. I strain my stock into a copper pot then put it in a sink full of ice water. The conductivity cools the stock down really fast. The next day, after refrigeration and skimming off of the fat, I reduce the stock in the copper pot. For hours. I never worry about scorching or anything. It simmers away beautifully. I simply skim from time to time. The result is an extremely concentrated stock that is perfect for when freezer real estate is at a premium.

You and sherri are quite right about the advantages of such a pan. Even, 3-dimensional heat and quick cooling are real boons. I agree completely.

And Mac has hit yet another home run with this pan, its thickness and geometry. It’s a world-class pan and a work of considerable beauty.

However, for stocks, I think the margin of betterment/return of copper over a thick disk-base pan is smaller than with other pans and their applications. So for those cooks trying to stretch their acquisition dollar, a copper stockpot would not be among my first 6 buys. A disk-based pan of 1:1 proportions, an XF chinoise and a Kool Paddle will come very close to doing what this beauty will do.

At 22 pounds empty, weight when full will be a real challenge for many. I’d love to see BCC offer a screened spigot as an option for hernia prevention (and clearer stocks and consommes).

Congrats on the pan. It really is an ideal intersection of function and art.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

Thank you both for the helpful comments! You succinctly summarized the advantages of a copper stockpot with ‘even, 3-dimensional heat’ and rapid ‘cooling down’.

I have now made two batches of stock, reduced to a concentrated state, placed in jars for freezing, and am now grappling with the concept of ‘premium freezer real estate’. I even gave up replenishing my supply of gelato to make room for jars of frozen stock. So, another advantage of making your own stock is that it will force you to eat healthier! (Not to mention being able to make quick soup-based meals after a long work day - heat up some stock, add some potato, carrot, celery, thyme, etc, and presto - you have a satisfyingly healthy dinner).

BCC did indeed create another masterpiece!

1 Like

A cup of the stuff will also elevate almost any pan sauce.

Hi All,

I’m new to HO and because I will be purchasing a new range, am finally looking seriously at copper cookware. I know this is an old thread, but it’s pertinent to my needs now.

I had just about talked myself into keeping my old (not very - about 7 years) plied stockpot because I didn’t see the advantages that a big, heavy, expensive copper stockpot would bring. When I make stock, it simmers for hours (or days) on the back burner. I WAS HAPPY!!

Now I’m lusting after a copper stockpot. Thanks. :grin:

I you are lucky enough to get the BCC stocker, please post a review!