Have you ever boiled a Turkey?

I came across this idea from watching Lords @ Ladles . Found a simple recipe from 1623 . Thinking of doing this simple recipe before Thanksgiving. Epicurious stewed Turkey with herbs and onions. Sorry no link

Are you thinking of something like this?

I’ve only roasted turkeys but this does sound interesting.

1 Like

I know. Cutting edge. I am going to have to do it. Makes complete sense.
It was a epicurious recipe. Stewed Turkey with herbs and onions

1 Like

The broth gets you two steps ahead of the game: rich liquid for the gravy and a nice head start of soup!

Inquiring minds strongly suggest you do a trial run before Thanksgiving. That way if it is a big success we can more confidently do the same for the big day!

Actually, could do a trial run with a chicken. I’m curious how the texture compares.

2 Likes

This looks great. I was thinking even simpler
Might never put a Turkey in the oven again if it turns out. :poultry_leg:

Found it!

The search function on Epicurious sucks these days. Their redisign has also made it harder to browse. Consequently I use them much less that I once did.

I do better searching with google with a description + epicurious.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the recipe .

Surprisingly, boiled Turkey Rice is a specialty in one small town in Taiwan. When I visited, I had to try it, for novelty sake.

IMG_2478

It was good, but I’ll stick to Hainan Chicken Rice. :slight_smile: or, roast turkey with lots of brown gravy, my dad’s recipe.

2 Likes

During my many years of raising and showing pedigreed cats, I routinely boiled frozen turkeys for them, until the bones could be crumbled in my fingers. Other than being packaged prebrined, they were not seasoned. I took to removing a breast or thigh once it came off the bone easily, using the meat for sandwiches. It was moist and tasty, and the broth from the strained meat/bones made great soup. Of course, this is at the expense of crispy skin, which is the best part of a turkey, IMO.

You could have saved the skin and baked or fried until crispy. Chef’s treat!

2 Likes

For my original purpose, the fatty skin was good for the cats’ glossy coats. In general, however I am not keen on stewed/braised poultry dishes that include soggy skin. I tried baking the cooked skin after making chicken stock but it came out like chewy leather.

1 Like

I love the crispy skin. I’m really curious if the skin crisps up in the poaching recipe as they claim. I’m doubtful.

1 Like

Now that I read this Bresse version, I recall a Pepin version (makes sense as he’s from Bresse) in the NY Times, I believe it was, a few holiday seasons back. If memory serves, the comments from those who tried it were not enthusiastic.

1 Like

Do you have ginormous pot to cook it in?? Maybe trying the method first with a leg or breast is a good idea so if it’s totally terrible you don’t have 15lbs of it…!

The skin might be terrible but the rest of the meat will be good, and the liquid can be turned into either soup or gravy. The meat can become turkey divan, a la king, salad, croquettes, etc. I use a pasta pot with the insert when poaching a turkey or chicken, which is a lot safer than trying to lift the cooked bird on its own, or splashing hot broth when emptying a stockpot through a colander.

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Legs and wings in a pot. Start smsll.

1 Like