Happy Holidays, HOs!

A Junior’s Cheesecake just arrived in the mail from a friend. As if we did not have enough unhealthy food already. I gained a pound just opening the box.

6 Likes

We will be celebrating Passover with my Jewish friends on Sunday evening. She also has a Seder on Saturday - two back to back dinners for about 20 people each. All the finest linens, China and Crystal are used, and she prepares most of the food herself. I insisted on helping her all day Wednesday. We made 3 different kinds of Haroset, gefilte fish for 40 and put the dough together for the matzoh balls. I rolled all the gefilte balls out. It was fun and everything turned out well. (Based on quality control testing) Anyway .they have very relaxed and joyful Passovers and we’re looking forward to it.

We will also be celebrating Greek Orthodox Easter the following Sunday. Parmesan encrusted leg of lamb is on the menu, along with rice pilaf, probably an asparagus salad, Easter bread and something for dessert, perhaps with strawberries. So a traditional dinner celebrated in a secular manner.

7 Likes

Two back-to-back dinners for 20 people each, with an entire day just for charoset, gefilte fish, and matzoh balls. None of that is any of the main course, so unless she is having that catered, the word “relaxed” should not be within five miles of the word “Seder”.

4 Likes

She cooked yesterday as well, I was having a root canal. The chicken soup and fish stock were done on Thursday. She cooked the Matzoh balls and fish yesterday. She made the Tsimmies today and got the two legs of lamb prepared. There were others bringing asparagus, salad and dessert. So YES it is relaxed, I have never seen her harried and her husband is an excellent host. Oh, and they don’t even have a working dishwasher…

Did I mention they are not Orthodox?

2 Likes

The baker was at work all day today so I decided to surprise him with something of my own, a traditional Easter Bread. Believe it or not, this is the first bread I’ve ever baked in my entire life. I’m a cook, not a baker. It is currently cooling. Smells delicious but will have to wait for tasting until tomorrow.

10 Likes

I am very impressed with that, and kudos for your first attempt at bread turning out so well! And I love the colorful sprinkles on it with the dyed eggs. Great job! :+1::blush:

2 Likes

Thanks! The eggs were actually dyed a few days ago using a basic cheapo kit. The pink one didn’t work out. They were sitting in a basket so I decided to use them in the bread. Had I known I was baking this, I would have went with a more colorful selection.

1 Like

Also en route! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That’s what I thought too, first on the other thread it was mentioned on and then here :joy:

1 Like

Passover–The Age of Asparagus!

2 Likes

Wow! Enjoy and take pictures!

Brb. On my way to your house. I’ll let my nose guide me! Enjoy!!!

2 Likes

Sorry, no pictures. Our table really only seats six, so we couldn’t even get all the food on the table at once, plus who has time to remember to take pictures. My biggest mistake was leaving the chicken in too long to reheat, and it came out somewhat dry. (Leftovers will get served in the soup.)

I was so exhausted by it all that I spent all yesterday in my pajamas watching movies.:tired_face:

4 Likes

Passover - The Age Of Dry Chicken!

Really hope you were very virtuously tired, doesn’t sound like an extreme amount of effort for a SACRED meal.

The cooking is in some ways the least of it. There’s the pulling out the Passover dishes, and wine glasses, and silverware, and napkins, and Seder plate, and everything else. There’s the thorough cleaning of the kitchen. There’s the sorting out of the chometz and (in our case) stashing it somewhere inaccessible. There’s the trying to fit seven people around a six-person table. There’s the fact that it takes three loads in the dishwasher before we’re back to normal. And there’s trying to fit everything before and after into a 33-inch wide side-by-side refrigerator. (The good news, I suppose, is that we can usually get a couple of meals from the leftovers, which saves some cooking through the rest of the week.)

2 Likes

One of my aunts has two kitchens in her home, primarily for this reason

1 Like

How’s this for an Easter breakfast? “Eggs in a Basket” on naan. Pan fried in butter, sprinkled with garlic powder, black pepper, and an olive oil drizzle. Really delicious and easy to make!

7 Likes

:yum:

1 Like

In the middle of the night I placed these signs on @NotJrvedivici front lawn, closest intersections and the main roads in his town.

8 Likes

Yikes! I’m exhausted just reading about it. That’s why I wanted to help my friend, although she’s not kosher and doesn’t keep the separate dishes. Nor does she clean her kitchen beyond normal nor throw things in the pantry out. She does use all the fine china and linens however. I find most holiday meals exhausting these days and am ready to retire from them! Not really but almost.

Anyway I enjoy learning how others celebrate their respective holidays. I’m not a Jewish scholar so I may have misused a term or two. But we are looking forward to joining them for their Seder tonight.

3 Likes