Hachiya Persimmons: best ways to use them...

My bad.
I live in Canada and I don’t drink. I also haven’t been to Stockton or Lodi since 2017! I corrected the name.
I liked their huevos rancheros, and they made a nice tri tip sandwich.

No worries. I forget their name all the time. I usually call it “That place on Highway 12 west of town”!

2 Likes

Sliced and drying Fuyu today; there were about 5 persimmons and one seed

4 Likes

I bought 3 Hachiya persimmons yesterday (my first ones). Now I can understand why some people might like to eat persimmons raw. I ate part of one Rae’s, and I’m roasting the rest with brown sugar and cinnamon.

1 Like

The only time I’ve ever had a persimmon (and can’t remember now which kind bc it might’ve been as long ago as in my teens, so easily a decade :joy:), it had a strangely numbing flavor that was not pleasant at all. Not sure if it wasn’t fully ripe, but I never felt compelled to try another one.

Yes if you have an unripe one, you’ll be suspicious for life.
These are from my tree. It’s a hybrid with an Asian and the US native species, perhaps that’s why it’s seedy… I think it’s a kaki variety. These are super ripe. There can be up to six of these large seeds, embedded in pulp. Kind of a pain, but delicious.

2 Likes

Cool! Thanks for sharing. Around here the only non-commercial variety I’ve seen is “chocolate persimmon,” which are small, slightly brown, and flat like fuyus.

Lucille Ball’s Persimmon Cake (haven’t made it yet)

1 Like

Like @maestra, I enjoy eating frozen hachiya persimmons like sorbet. For baked goods, I prefer things that aren’t heavily spiced, as a lot of spices will overwhelm the flavor of the persimmons. My most frequently made hachiya persimmon recipe is James Beard’s persimmon bread. The flavors all work really well with the persimmons. I use bourbon for the booze, pecans, golden raisins, and the lesser amount of sugar.

I got this lovely steamed persimmon pudding recipe from a poster on Chowhound 20 or more years ago. A pyrex bowl works well as a pudding basin, with foil secured with kitchen twine as a lid. Serve warm with hard sauce or crème anglaise.

Steamed Persimmon Pudding

4 oz butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar (I use brown)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 T brandy
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup puréed persimmon flesh
1 cup raisins (I use golden)

Whisk butter and sugar until well combined, then whisk in eggs one at a time, followed by brandy and vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into the wet mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in the persimmon purée, then fold in the raisins. Pour the batter into a greased 1 1/2-quart pudding mold or bowl and cover tightly. Place on a rack in a high-sided pot and pour boiling water two-thirds of the way up the mold or bowl. Steam over very low heat 2 1/2 hours, replenishing boiling water to maintain level as needed.

1 Like

Thank you!

I don’t seem to see the persimmons in the recipe; how much and how are they prepared?

Whoops! Thanks for noticing, not sure how the persimmon escaped. It’s 1 cup puréed persimmon flesh, stirred in after the dry ingredients. I’ve requested an edit to my post to emend the recipe text to fix it.

Thanks, and would you try Fuyu, or does it mostly work with Hachiya?

I’ve never let Fuyus get overripe to the point of total mushiness, so I can’t really say, but they have more internal structure (core and sometimes seeds) to work around. I’d think that recipes requiring purée work better with Hachiyas.

1 Like

Thanks for these recipes! I have some persimmon puree I need to use that I wanted to make into a pie (recipe in Deep Run Roots), but these are looking a lot easier and more likely to actually get done

I’ve had fuyus go completely soft inside, and I think they would work as well as hachiyas. The fuyus might have a little extra “tough” spot that needs to be strained out, but otherwise I think they’d be indistinguishable.

Did anyone catch the hoshigaki hanging from the eaves in Shogun recently?

1 Like