Grocery store finds - Houston

What you up to @brucesw? Haven’t seen you in a few months. Hope you are eating well!

1 Like

I headed over to Acacia Mart today, the Turkish market on FM 1092/Murphy Rd. It’s been at least a half dozen years, I guess. Glad to report the store has really upped it’s game. I’d hazard a guess about twice as many products on display, lots less open space. The did cut down on space for freezers and coolers, to make room for a staffed (Halal) butcher shop instead of just packaged meats, and they’ve added an open kitchen in the back where they make their pastries and breads. There are some tables in a dimly lit corner. I don’t know if they do hot foods? or coffee to go with the pastries (I didn’t smell any).

I am a sucker for bread. Just show me some and I want it. This is labeled Ramadan Pide, a bread eaten every evening to break the fast. Oh, this is gonna be good.

At the top is a Simit sandwich, a simit roll with black olives. I thought there was going to be cheese but I didn’t detect any (had it for a late lunch - see lunch thread). On the bottom are 2 boreks, I pointed at 2 different varieties but I think she gave me 2 of the same - Rose Borek. I haven’t gotten in to them yet.

No pictured from the pastry case is a Chorek, a crescent shaped treat, a Turkish ‘croissant’ filled with such things as leftover cake crumbs, nuts and raisins. I failed to include it in any of these photos but it will show up in the breakfast thread.

Just a few grocery items. I’m a sucker for pickled vegetables, too. I’ve found Sultan sardines from Morocco to be very good and was glad to find them here. I can put off another trip to Makkah out on Synot for now. Some hot Ajvar for my sandwiches, etc. and some date syrup.

My two main reasons for going was to get some Sucuk and dates. Everything else was an impulse buy. But after I found the date syrup I forgot all about getting some dates, don’t even remember seeing any but they must have them. It won’t be another half dozen years before I’m back.

2 Likes

Is this close to 59 or past south Main? I am in the area every now and then, I don’t recall seeing a Turkish grocery store.

Just south of 59, (69!).

Link

2 Likes

I see, in the Fajita Flats center. I worked at TG&Y in that center in high school. But I haven’t been to Fajita Flats since 1992 when a server sang happy birthday to my young daughter. He had the most unusual eyes and it scared her :laughing: and she wouldn’t go back. It’s been there forever. Tex-Mex places are forever in these parts.

1 Like

I used to shop at that TG&Y. Good old fashioned 5&Dime type place - I loved finding that. Bought all my light bulbs there for years - good, cheap, long-lasting generic incandescent bulbs. I was sad when it closed. :disappointed: :roll_eyes:

I moved out to this part of town in '78. Can’t remember if FF was there then but I’ve never been. The first Randall’s I ever went in was at the other end of that shopping center.

1 Like

That’s where we shopped for groceries too, there was nothing in Sugar Land for a long time. I worked in the “hardware department” selling molly bolts, a/c filters, and lightbulbs, but I left town for school in 77. I think FF didn’t arrive until the 80’s.

I don’t know why I thought I’d post this in the breakfast thread???

This one just has something like a very dense brownie inside, with some nuts. I’ve eaten half of it and found no raisins. The nuts are almonds and those are almond slivers on top.

Very sturdy, almost 7 oz. Dessert to take into the mines with you along with your Cornish Pasties! Wrap it in a bandana and stuff it in another pocked of your overalls.

Interesting but nothing special. The brownie was very dry.

1 Like

Kulfi on a stick. Made in USA/Sterling, VA. Almond.

Okay but nothing special. There are more choices of flavors available in freezers at Indian or Pakistani grocery stores - pints, usually. I used to have a recipe to make it at home with condensed sweetened milk - make your own flavors.

The best surprise from Acacia has been the pide. A bit stale as I expected but reconstitutes very nicely in my 30 year old cheap-crap toaster. Nice crackly crust on top. I’ll be getting more of that.

1 Like

Looks good, what’s the crunchy stuff?