Grocery shopping in Ontario: a skyrocketing price thread

For local fish, have you tried checking Affinity Fish on Dundas W?

It’s only yellow perch that’s ridiculous right now. I buy pickerel , whitefish and trout instead, which tend to be less than $20/ lb.

I haven’t tried Affinity Fish. The $37/lb is at Remark Market in London, which sells Purdy’s Fish.

The truth is I don’t like yellow perch that much- or lake fish that much- that I can’t see myself buying expensive yellow perch when I can get salmon or halibut for less! I’ll pay $37/lb for swordfish or monkfish, but not for yellow perch!

I will buy some fish from Affinity Fish soon. Thanks for me mentioning it.

Slightly off topic!
Bought myself a ’ Decanter ’ magazine from Indigo today for $16.99.
Can still remember the time, not too long ago, paying only $6.99 for a copy!

1 Like

How about pickerel for 10 bucks a pound?
https://www.metro.ca/en/online-grocery/aisles/fish-seafood/fresh-fish/white-fish/pickerel-fillet/p/213510

About Affinity Fish, I’ve been following the exploits of Jon Klip for years now. I’m saving a trip to his market and his restaurant for very special occasions indeed. So very clever beyond his years.

1 Like

Loblaws. Because why use all that money to lower prices?

2 Likes

It’s interesting that Metro has a slightly higher mark-up overall than Loblaws, considering Metro doesn’t have a Galen. I don’t know if that is because Metro has some locations that drive costs up.

I can’t seem to find the article I was thinking of.

Out of Metro, Loblaws and Sobeys, Metro’s mark-up was highest, and Loblaws was second highest.

Lactantia butter is 4.88 at metro this week

4 Likes

https://www.metro.ca/en/online-grocery/aisles/deli-prepared-meals/ready-meals-sides/meat-meals/bbq-sauce-flavoured-maplewood-smoked-pork-back-ribs/p/818426007011
44th St makes some decent ready made products, the ribs are tasty( a bit saucy for me) and the Pot Roast is surprisingly good and for $12 it’s a steal :smiley:

1 Like

Small eggs on sale at Loblaws this week.

1 Like

Its true. Metro does alter pricing depending on the neighbourhood. You’ll never see me at the Shops on Don Mills location.

Out here in the wilderness, I pay less. Much lower than Loblaws. Come to the land of strip malls and high rises. We may not be classy, but neither are our prices.

Maybe their margins are based on the drug stores. Thats something I avoid buying there. You can do better elsewhere.

3 Likes

I shop in the burbs when I’m in London. That’s where the Loblaws, Sobeys and Metro I visit are located.

The Loblaws is most convenient to me based on weekly errands I run, and is one of the nicer grocery stores in terms of variety in London. My shopping trip to Loblaws isn’t typically a shopping trip where I check everything off my weekly list. Yesterday’s shopping trip was specific: individual blueberry yogurts (FarmBoy and Remark don’t currently have 4 packs of Blueberry yogurt at the 2% or under MF, and I don’t want the variety pack), 2 boxes of Cheez-its (2 for $4), 2 boxes of Cheemo perogies, 1 pineapple. That is pretty much it. I do like specific PC frozen items. I’ve been making space in my freezer by using up frozen convenience foods, and last night’s dinner featured PC beef kofta and PC Mexican Street Corn Fritters.

I shop at the closest Metro occasionally, maybe once a month, but it is a smaller, older store, and I typically am buying specific pantry item, fish from their good fish counter or cheese bread from their good bakery (but not more than a couple times a year, because I’ll eat the whole loaf in 2 days). A visit to that Metro is determined by other errands. The Sobeys I visit in London is on the way home from another store where I purchase specific ready-made refrigerated soups and salads, and much of my meat and produce (Remark Market), and a Farm Boy is located between that Sobeys and my home.

When I’m in Toronto (I’m a part-timer), I buy what I can carry in a couple bags or a backpack. Smaller shopping trips to Fiesta Farms, Sanagan’s , the produce stores in Koreatown. Refrigerated ready-to-eat foods and sometimes dry pasta from Eataly. I visit the Metro in the Annex or Bloor Street Market (formerly Valumart, formerly Mr Grocer, which carries PC products so they’re affiliated somehow with Loblaws) when I need cleaning supplies or milk.

I am happy you have some good Metros near you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Oh like he buys groceries. Its like Mr. Weston heres a sample of our $100. Steaks would you like a sample. What a d**k.

2 Likes

LOL good parody. OTOH a friend of mine works for some very wealthy people who explained to her that they need more money because they burn through it so quickly. Costs of upkeeping multiple houses in various countries, you know. And all those social occasions. It’s tough being rich. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

A consulting firm hired by the family company decides a family member needs another mil or so.
Despicable, tone deaf, and worst of all, surrounds himself with yes men. Despots will be despots.

The problem with butter is it doesn’t have a no name or house brand equivalent. Whereas if you can cook, you can use cheaper groceries and still turn out great meals. However with butter making an appearance in so many 2 or 3 ingredient dishes, you can taste the difference.

Shareholders want dividends. This isn’t all about Galen.

I’m not sure that food banks would find that comforting.

Full disclosure:
I give to the Foodbank,
I give the Stop,
I drop off food I don’t need at Community Fridges,
I shop at bakeries that donate what they don’t sell to food banks and soup kitchens. Metro behaves the same way as Loblaws and Sobeys does.

If you really don’t want to help shareholders, shop at mom & pop grocery stores only. But moms and pops might own stock.

Last year, a bakery I liked a lot, went out of business. The fellow had overexpanded, and his business had not been paying suppliers, including a friend of a friend who makes upscale chocolates, for months. The last weekend of sales went to staff to help pay their wages because they had no notice of the bakery closing.

Capitalism has its costs, publicly traded businesses can be ruthless, but the little guys can be ruthless or uncaring towards staff, or food banks, too.

Galen is a pretty nice fellow in person, by the way. Hillary Weston is a very good person.

What you’re seeing is Galen’s persona. I wish he hadn’t take on a public persona. This falls on Weston’s communication/ marketing VP.

1 Like

Oh he gets away with all manner of things.

1 Like