Grocery shopping in Ontario: a skyrocketing price thread

I went to the big Loblaws near me looking for the cryovac package of boneless short ribs. Also weirdly called finger meat, though they do look like king meat fingers. Anyway, they used to be about $25-30 for a 3 pound package. I haven’t been able to find them recently. The butcher said it was because the price went up to $50 and nobody bought them, so they stopped carrying them. I ended up buying a $25 roast to cut up for my stew and it was not as good as the short ribs.

2 Likes

We are paying $8.99/lb of butter up here in Ontario. LOL

2 Likes

Ouch. Ours hit about 7+ US for standard stuff (like Land O’ Lakes) then subsided closer to 6. I had a thread last year on making my own butter because at that time heavy cream was cheap compared to butter (HC prices caught up and made my homemade venture no longer as economical).

The super nice thing is that in the last 5 weeks, my local grocer has been running one of LoL, Challenge, or KerryGold at bogo at least 3 of those 5 weeks, so I’ve been loading up.

2 Likes

Butter will become even cheaper in this time before Easter, due to holiday baking, etc. Also stuff like ham, maybe eggs?? Stove Top Stuffing, Mayo, Crescent rolls, etc. Lamb maybe, probably strawberries also. Kind of like Thanksgiving. A good time to stock up on stuff.

2 Likes

Cantonese Roasted Duck inside ‘Richlane Mall, 16th Avenue/Leslie’ used to be $24.99 per duck a year ago, now it’s a whopping $50 each, before tax!!

1 Like

Wow!

I used to work near the factory where they make Stove Top Stuffing. Pharmacy and Comstock if you really must experience it yourself. After smelling the exhaust all those years, all I can say is don’t do it. Don’t eat that stuff. (shiver)

2 Likes

I can only imagine how off putting that would be!

Sadly, we have to run for the border to purchase Kerrygold. I really enjoy it when I visit family in Pennsylvania.

We do have some fancy French butter and Polish butter, available at some gourmet or ethnic shops, but I’ve not bought any.

2 Likes

I get the same kind of sticker shock when I buy lamb these days. Each time I buy it, I think I gotta stop eating lamb.

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying re:lamb. What has been a big change for me the past 3 years is that I’m eating out less.

When I do place a take-out order, I will place a larger order than I once did, so I will have some leftovers for the next day, maybe enough for 2 dinners.

When I buy take-out dinner for my household of 3, it usually comes to somewhere between $85 and $100 including tax and a 15-18 % tip.

My rationale for buying ribeye, duck or lamb, with local lamb usually costing $22-$32/lb depending on the cut, and ribeye costing $22/lb, is that the rib-eye or lamb dinner for 3 at home is still cheaper than my $85 Chinese / Lebanese/ Fish & Chips Captain’s platter take-out for 3 people. The ribeye costs around $20 when my pound of ground beef cost $7 this week.

That $7 pound of beef became a homemade beef pad kra pao, to take care of the Thai craving that would have been a $15- $21.50 takeout pad kra pao, plus tax and tip.

$18.95 for Pad Kra Pao at Nana.

I have only had BKK Thai in the past year, and I didn’t know Pai’s Pad Kra Pao is now $21.50. (March 30, 2023, might be more in a couple months, the way things are going)

I’ve cut out my fast food budget I once had, and the pub food budget I once had, and I’ve been focusing on some more splurge ingredients at home.

I would drop the lamb if I had to tighten up my food budget.

2 Likes

Yesterday, report on CNBC cited ’ WHOLESALE ’ prices in the US for eggs have dropped from $4.99 a doz to $2.99! Maybe this trend will come Canada way soon?

2 Likes

Not cheap like that. We won’t ever have dirt cheap dairy and eggs because of our social safety net / tax system, that the US does not have, IMO.

When eggs are $3 a dozen, in a country where people might pay $4500/month for rent in Manhattan, or a waitress might make $5/h in Vegas while people are paying $150 for a lobster pot pie at the Bellagio, I wonder how could the eggs be so cheap? What’s wrong with the eggs? How can eggs be $3 a dozen when some people are paying $45 for an omelette at a restaurant, and $15 for all Fresh-Squeezed Orange Juice?

2 Likes

‘UNI’ at T & T - STILL AN INCREDIBLE BUY!!!

Whilst other seafood outfits have hiked their BC Uni ( sea urchins ) pricing to around $34.99 - $39.99 a tray. ( Diana’s, Freshway…).
T&T are still selling theirs at a reasonable $20.99 a tray!! ( Their pre-Covid pricing was only $14.99!! )…sweet, plump and pristine fresh!😋👍👌😁

3 Likes

For the “general and regular stuff” I mostly do my grocery shopping at any one of those Chinese grocery stores … They tend to be cheaper for the things I need. Unless I am looking for certain specialty items, I’ll go elsewhere. Farmers markets are also the ones I like to support.

2 Likes

A roasted chicken went up to $15 at Valu-Mart.

1 Like

I’m not even talking take-out. The first time I ordered my regular lamb rib chops from a butcher, I nearly fainted. It really put the old pressure on to cook them perfectly.

2 Likes

But on sale seafood from a grocery store is perfectly fine. I’ve learned how to cook and love a lot of different fish that way.

2 Likes

What’s even crazier is the price of Lake Erie Yellow Perch at $37/ lb., when Halibut, a more decadent fish costs $33/lb.

I’ve been paying between $18- $32/lb for lamb, depending on the cut.

Faroe Island salmon for $22/lb.

1 Like

That’s what I do. Fish on sale. There was a famous photo on Twitter, IIRC, of chicken prices. Much like this one.

1 Like