Grocery Outlet 2020 [Bay Area]

I don’t remember seeing liverwurst or braunschweiger here in the East Bay (Oakland, Alameda or Richmond on San Pablo) for some time.

1 Like

I don’t know if we get that here in East Hayward, as I’m never actually looking for it. I’ll try to look out for it the next time I visit GO. Our cheese selection varies–occasionally we’ve been lucky enough to get something from Point Reyes. Fiscalini shows up a lot, though, which is nice because I like the Purple Moon cheddar.

1 Like

We had Laura Chenel a while ago. Haven’t seen it recently, however. What kind of cheese from Pt Reyes made an appearance at GO?

1 Like

They had the Point Reyes Bay Blue for awhile, though I don’t think I’ve seen it at GO since the pandemic began.

3 Likes

Yes, it was the Point Reyes Bay Blue, which I saw at the East Hayward GO exactly once. We don’t get the fancy stuff as often here as at some other branches.

2 Likes

2020-12-16 Oakland Grocery Outlet, yesterday

99 cents/32 oz.carton - Elmhurst Milked Hazelnuts Unsweetened, on the shelf in the NOSH section, not refrigerated. This may be the best nut milk I’ve tried, just water and hazelnuts, no gums or stabilizers, strong hazelnut flavor. Best By Jan. 29, 2021.

$1.99/48 oz. Malibu Flaxseed Mylk Unsweetened, in the dairy section I picked up another bottle of the Malibu which I like a lot more than the Good Karma Flax MIlk. Good Karma used flax seed oil and has no real body or fiber though it does taste good. The Malibu crushes the flax seed with the hull which makes it earthier/creamier and adds about 3 grams of fiber per 8 oz. serving with a 60% more omega 3s than Good Karma.

$4.99 Trenel Beaujolais Villages 2015, 13% ABV, from France. Tastes of sour fruit, plum and licorice and the combo approaches that of red licorice. I’d get it again.

Also picked up 2 more bottles at $3.99 of the Cavaliere D’Oro Primitivo Puglia 2017.

4 Likes

Yesterday at Oakland Grocery Outlet:

$3.99 Cavaliere d’Oro Pinot Grigio Valdadige 2017

Has the color of a very light ginger ale, aromas of sour apple, fresh mown hay, tastes of salty minerality/aspirin, apricot and ginger with a light body and short-lived tannins. From Italy, 12.5% ABV,

https://www.cavalieredoro.com/-/media/Files/CdO/CDO-Valdadige-Awards-2.ashx

https://www.cavalieredoro.com/-/media/Files/CdO/CDO-PG-Valdadige-2017.ashx

1 Like

Amazing deal at the East Hayward GO today: a 26-count box of Anthon Berg liqueur-filled chocolates for only $5.99. Earlier this year, I got a 16-count box from the Vermont Country Store for $24.95 (before shipping). These contain the real spirits shown on the labels, not generic ones. I also picked up a 5-pack of my favorite overnight oats for $1.99, and I saw they have 6-packs of Drake’s De-Nogginizer for $8.99. Lots of natural and organic products in stock right now.

3 Likes

As a follow-up to my post above, I see that the box of chocolates says “Travellers Exclusive”, so I wonder if these are overstocks from airport duty-free shops.

At the Richmond GO, 1 gallon of Spectrum EVVO for $29.99. I think it’s organic because I only see organic olive oil on their website, but I’m not positive.

Since March, I’ve been buying the Machu Picchu organic ginger from Peru ($2.99/6 oz). It’s consistently good - always plump and no bruises. Same goes for the Peri and Son’s organic onions ($3.99/2 lbs). Organic onions, ginger, and sometimes avocados and garlic are the only produce I buy there.

3 Likes

As an east coaster not familiar with GO, I have similar questions as @DavidPF. Please try to describe institutions that are unfamiliar to people like me who truly want to understand a business model such as GO.

As someone once mentioned here, a good analogy would be to TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, and other clothing stores like that, who do “brand names for less” (not quite sure how it’s done). GO also sells overstocks (eg, anything pumpkin spice in January, goods where the packaging graphics have changed), has their own house brands, and always has staples like eggs, milk, meat, etc.

1 Like

Inventory comes primarily from overstocks and closeouts of name brand groceries, as well as private label groceries. Grocery Outlets buy mostly closeout or seasonal merchandise, so particular brand names change often.The company’s stores also carry food staples such as fresh meat, dairy and bread. All products sold by Grocery Outlet are purchased directly from manufacturers, not other retail stores.

Further specific info on the Grocery Outlet Wikipedia page:

4 Likes

The product mix depends on the store, with about 1/2 stuff that all locations get and the other 1/2 individual preferences.
California stores can sell hard liquor, in Oregon we’re beer and wine only.
They also get regional items that aren’t otherwise distributed here, especially Midwest and Southern staples, like Allen’s vegetables, various house brands of major chains, and on and on.

3 Likes

They prefer married couples as owners?

1 Like

I don’t know about that one.
Intrigued though.
I’ll ask at ours.

If true, then weird

Interesting articles about that -

" What is the Grocery Outlet Independent Operator Program?

Rather than simply hiring store managers like most grocery stores, Grocery Outlet prefers to find what they call independent owner-operators, the vast majority of which are married couples .

While my friend who is an owner-operator is a solo operator, they almost exclusively hire couples feeling like their business model works best with 2 people in the lead. Given my friend just took his first 3 days off in 8 months, I can understand the benefit of sharing the workload!"

What is the Grocery Outlet Independent Operator Program?

Rather than simply hiring store managers like most grocery stores, Grocery Outlet prefers to find what they call independent owner-operators, the vast majority of which are married couples .

While my friend who is an owner-operator is a solo operator, they almost exclusively hire couples feeling like their business model works best with 2 people in the lead. Given my friend just took his first 3 days off in 8 months, I can understand the benefit of sharing the workload!"

And -

1 Like

Huh. Wonder if they care if the couples are heterosexual.

1 Like

FWIW, was told they want families since “family” stores can be non-union. Again, not verified.