Grill 36...coming to a restaurant graveyard near you! (Belford NJ)

Yes that side of the lot did have a sign claiming they had food. So that counts for here right next

1 Like

Did they actually serve food there? I think dominos was across the street. That would probably be a better choice, or burgerking, Wendy’s (now a popeyes) or mcd a few blocks away lol

1 Like

I ate at an Indian restaurant that was clearly once a Greek restaurant back in the day. The light blue colors, the columns, and statuettes, etc. If you cannot afford a proper remodel, you probably cannot afford to open a restaurant.

2 Likes

can’t afford or don’t give a sh*t…either way prob doesn’t bode well for a successful spot…

So I guess this guy has no good news for us lol. He has been MIA.

1 Like

to be fair, maybe he couldn’t hear us over all the “buzz”- must be deafening. In all honesty, if that was the owner or someone involved in the joint I’d love to actually interact in a straight up fashion. I really wish we could have more owners involved here (other than the famed Russel and Bettes incident). I know Jr from Graze was here for a cpl posts. Would love to see him again.

1 Like

He is the only owner I can recall posting on the NJ boards but I think it was for like a day or two. I still want to go there one day.

Yeah I think the buzz is rattling the near by cell phone antenna so he is out of service.

We recently had the owner of Nettie’s on here…

1 Like

Ah yes, I remember. I wish he would also come on and contribute. He seemed like a great guy. I want to go there soon.

2 Likes

“If you go he will post…”

My favorite quote from the 90’s Kevin Costner movie “Blog of dreams “…

3 Likes

So I was giving this guy the benefit of the doubt but it now appears he definitely is a “one hit wonder.”

If I owned a restaurant and my friends or family ever pulled some kind of stunt like this, I would be pissed!

2 Likes

Still never more than one car in front of the place (the cook I assume?), and I have now passed it probably 5 times (10 if you count them as round-trips) in the last week and a half, including today.

Maybe those reviewers ordered delivery.

Hmmmm…interesting. look who left a yelp review a few days ago.

Is that the guy from Haldi Chowk?

Yes.

I actually just got back and gave it a shot. To be honest, the food was decent. I had a lamb and chicken platter and the Emporer had a gyro. With a gingerale and my raspberry malt beverage our bill was 19.99 (to the penny) not including tip. So for 24 dollars it wasn’t mind blowing but the food was decent and the portions were healthy. I’ll write more soon and I have some pics.

4 Likes

So overall this was enjoyable and I think the price was fair. I want to get back here. They have…

7.00 buffalo wings
7.00 cheese steak
9.50 chicken kebab platter

I want to try all three. I’m tired of 14-15.00 plates of wings. Hopefully these are a good value but I’m not sure how many they give you.

This place isn’t fancy, quick or in a walking distance from much (anything .) However, my first meal was not bad. It’s the only place like this on my side of town with out driving to Shrewsbury (Greek eats, bayroot, or stamna in lincroft)

The lamb was very tender and the combo of tahini and “kick” sauce was a nice duo. The rice was rather bland but I guess that is up to you to season. For 8 bucks this was a decent dish. The emporer (my cousin) liked his gryo a lot and got the kick sauce on it.

4 Likes

Funny story about your cousin. He used to volunteer with me at a museum in Perth Amboy. I also did some landscaping work for him for a couple of years. One day we were driving around (I was in my early college days, so 2010?) and ended up at Mie Thai in Woodbridge with our mutual friend Jeff. This place is now closed, but man, they had the best Thai food I’ve ever had in my life. Including a spicy fried pork dish that I’ve never seen replicated anywhere. Anyway, Jeff LOVED his food hot. Not just the usual “yeah make it spicy” but abnormally hot. The kind of spice that could cure cancer. I was almost there myself in regards to withstanding heat, but your cousin, Emperor John, had been bragging about how he was going to go toe to toe with our friend.

The three of us had driven around all day without eating. We were starving. I specifically remember John WHINING HIS ASS OFF about how hungry he was. When it came time to order, he got his food at the hottest possible level. Jeff knew the chef and we were assured of a murderous spice level. Your showboating cousin braggadociously announced to a near-empty lunchtime dining room how he loved spicy food. Well, the food came and after a few bites, there wasn’t enough water in the glasses on our table for him. If I remember correctly, he tried to fit his head in the bathroom sink to acquire more water. He emerged looking like he took a bath. When he got back to the table, he moved the food around the plate with his fork before saying (without any acknowledgement of what happened) that, “I am just so full. This food was great, but man, I’m full.” When we pestered him why he hadn’t come close to finishing, all he could say whilst wiping sweat off his head was, “So much flavor…so much flavor.”

5 Likes

Totally makes sense. I tried and did not like. If the gyro isn’t authentic off the spit., I might as well go to a diner for it. Looks drabby from outside and I don’t think it’s going to get much attention.

2 Likes

Hello Jeanette and welcome to Hungry Onion! Care to share how you found us? Please take your time in looking around, maybe share some of your favorite spots!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!!

Welcome to hungry onion. I think you will have a great time on here. So there are quite a few gyro fans on here. Where are you favorites? :slight_smile: