Griddle for induction range

They did it by F’ing up the detection circuits/sensors.

1 Like

Thanks Kaleo, but was it done on purpose? Did Viking have some agenda against LC?

Do you have a link or source?

Top Seekert, Man.

Top Seekert.

(Sorry, a bit in my cups.)

(I’ll got to bed now. Night and Love To All)

1 Like

No, just an unforced error. In fairness, induction was new.

1 Like

Not since CH became unavailable. Sorry.

Wait, what?

You’re source is a Chowhoud post.

Not at all. I believe the sources were given in CH threads. IIRC, there was a lot of discussion about Viking’s problem.

If I had different type of induction cooktop, like a full surface one, I would buy a a thick carbon steel griddle. A few examples,

from the Americas

Rocky Mountain Cookware Master Chef Carbon Steel Griddle

Europe, Gourmetstål

Or then the stainless Demeyere Teppanyaki. I regret the bottom length of the smaller Teppanyaki seems a bit too short for me to buy it, while the bigger one is too large overall for my cooktop.

1 Like

More data to add to the discussion.

The area of the two burners is about 8.5”x 18”.

Some of the griddle manufacturers warn about their propensity to scratch glass surfaces (so some polishing of the metal to debur would be required). Other griddles (cheaper and lighter weight) clearly tend to warp, based on the comments, which would render them useless. Some seem high quality and hefty, which might mean that once they heat up the entire surface might be useful and not just the part over the “burner”, but they would also be pretty hefty to move around.

I have been having a comical discussion with GE Cafe help, about what griddle would work. More on that later, as it is a story in itself.

I think there is probably a very short list of candidates for a griddle that might work satisfactorily with a two-burner spread on the induction range, Staub, Demeyere, possibly the Rocky Mountain (with some adjustments to the bottom surface). The cooking surface will be narrow, and that may be annoying.

I do like this range very much, and apart from the broiler (rarely used) I do not miss cooking with gas. The other side of the top has a much larger diameter 3700 watt “burner” that will boil a quart of water in 100 seconds.

3 Likes

My induction cooktop has 2x round 21cm/8,27" 3200W (powerboil) on the left side and a 28cm/11" round 5200W on the right. The 5,2kW sure boils quickly :).

What type of burners are under there, where you plan to use the griddle? If its something else than two round ones, like maybe 4 ovals or something, I would not hesitate on a thick enough carbon griddle personally.

Carbon steel is smooth, no worries about scratching really. This was the piece in my photo, model RM1424.:

According to some review there, with photos, this has a cooking surface width of about 11 inch.
Your zone is 8,5 inch wide(?), so being carbon steel, it would have some cold area nearing on the outer area already. It would be a bit too wide and long for you.
Seems someone mentioned also their was less than flat and that they would not buy it for induction, not sure if I would worry about that though as it might be an exception.

I’d say if you can find a griddle with cooking surface of about those measurements you mentioned, then its ideal, but indeed it can be hard to find a nice and sturdy piece with perfect measurements.

Now that I searched more though, RM seems to make also this one RM1320-8: https://rockymountaincookware.com/store/p9/www.rockymountaincookware.com.html

It actually probably has pretty good cooking area measurements for you, maybe it might still be a tad bit too wide though actually if you have 8,5", so could have colder edge areas and you would have to make sure it wouldn’t mess over your induction top controls also. A bit thinner gauge vs the other, like 3mm+ thick, so more similar to regular larger de Buyer carbon steel frying pans.
The price is not bad though?

Then the Groumetstål I showed in the 42cmx25cm size might also be nice, if you could source it… Quite thick.

They write “and gives you restaurant quality with a frying surface that covers half the hob (on 60cm stoves) and works great even if you don’t have connected zones.”

I have been tempted in buying it myself, but I know that with my round burners, it would for sure have colder area in between them and it would not quite fit in my oven sadly. If it would fit in my oven, then I would buy it. I could use it on the stove sure, maybe then gather the burgers that are ready to the center colder area etc. But in the end, I would probably just use my frying pans on the stove and this griddle in the grill outside.

This made me curious. I’ve got a GE Cafe all-gas stove with one higher output burner and just now time tested it. It took just over 220 seconds to bring a quart of water to a boil (conditions were, 65°F tap water starting temp, in a 3mm thick hard anodized aluminum pan, 24 cm floor diameter).

So no where near as fast as your high-output burner. But it’s still a lot better than my old GE glass top electric. When boiling water for lobsters, and even starting with hot tap water (about 125°F), it would take nearly 60 minutes to boil 4 gallons (cf using the same rates as the gas burner, would be about 34 minutes, considering the temp differences).

You know, I was thinking about this. Maybe you’d consider this a source. At the IHHS cookware tradeshow in 2019, I asked a VP of Clipper Corporation (Viking’s owner) about the reports. He confirmed they were true, but that the problem had been fixed.

As Pertti notes, the two sizes of the Demeyere Teppanyaki are too short and too long, unfortunately. The bottom measurements of the Staub appear to be 14.65” x 8.46”, which is about 4” too short to make optimal use of the heating elements. The Gourmetstal is 16.5” long, which again is a little short (It does appear to be available online to the U.S. from RoyalDesign.com).

The best fit so far is the Made In, which has a surface area of 17.5” x 8.5” but it has handles that go out and up from the ends, so that the full length is 24”. Depending on the height of the handles, I think it will clear the back of the stove. We submitted a question about the height of the handles to their “cookware bot”. Their stores are all in Texas.

Also, we have noticed that the measurements of these items differ from one online site to another. On one site, the weight of the Gourmetstal was 13 kg, which is absurd, and the length of the various devices varied quite a bit as well. We will take a tape measure to a local store and measure the Staub to see if it differs from the online measurements.

Briefly, the GE help line was unable to assist. The online service was no help at all. The phone customer support personnel only can talk about GE-manufactured products and accessories, and GE doesn’t manufacture a griddle. They washed their hands of me after a few phone calls and escalations up the chain and then back down. I recognize that this is definitely a non-critical problem, in this world, but I feel compelled to purchase a griddle and am becoming obsessed.

I am diving in on the Made In griddle, and will report back with more detail than anyone truly wants :wink:

2 Likes

Look forward to hearing your report. I too have a Cafe Induction range.

It’s probably as close as you can get with the measurements. And 4mm apparently, not bad. A bit pricier, but looks nice and practical. I noticed it seems to have a bit of texture to it? So not as as smooth as carbon usually perhaps. Seems like a good buy.

I have a GE Profile induction model. The two left hand burners can be synced, but there isn’t a bridge element as there was on my electric smoothtop. I haven’t tried my Demeyere plancha on the two burners.

The Made In griddle fits nicely on the linked left 2500W elements of the GE Cafe slide-in 30” induction range. The handles fit above the back part of the range that sticks up a little, and they do get warm to touch but not dangerously hot:

At medium setting for 8 minutes of constant heating, the heat (degrees F) was stable at

Front burner 417

Back burner 416

Between the two burners 300-330

Middle left 225

Middle right 230

Back left corner 230

Back right corner 235

Front left corner 240

Back right corner is 235

Raising the heat to the high setting for just a few minutes, there was a noticeable whistling noise, quite musical actually and it stopped eventually, and significant smoking (hood would be required) from the oil (450 smokepoint)

The oil burned off after about 5 minutes, and the max measurements were:

Front burner 670

Back burner 570

Between the two burners 440

Middle left 330

Middle right 330

Back left corner 330

Back right corner 320

Front left corner 310

Front right corner is 320

The corner temperatures were still going up.

For pancakes, the website recommends medium heat. Pancakes that span the hotter and cooler areas cooked unevenly, but we worked around that. Overall, we are happy with the griddle, as the griddle is doing the heavy lifting on spanning the two burners and fitting on the top. The fault for the uneven pancakes lies with the range, we think.

We will be trying potatoes and maybe teriyaki next. The website mentioned that acid (citrus, tomato, vinegar) marinades would trash the seasoning layer, and as that is usually true for cast iron or carbon steel pans, we will respect the advice and not do fajitas on this griddle.

Griddle marketers seem obsessed with “smash burgers”, which we are not going to make, but if your heart is taken by the smash burger craze, this griddle would probably deliver.

2 Likes

Mine is a slide-in as well. Thank you!