Greek Evoo

Our choice for Greek when it comes to Evoo FOTOARTGREEKEVOO1176217_10201313266786169_1747117959_n

3 Likes

Does anyone prepare Mezze at home or classic Greek Cuisine ?

Our daughter brought us a liter can of Greek EVOO when she was there on vacation. The variety is “Koroneiko”. I’m familiar with California Koroneiki EVOO and assume it’s the same. Just curious if anyone knows why the different last letter.

The oil she brought home had a similar taste to the California except that the California has a distinctive pepperiness (kicks in after maybe 10-15 seconds on the tongue) that the Greek doesn’t have.

1 Like

@Midlife

EVODMINDA 70 is from Pelopponese. Its flavor notes are peach, citrus and kiwi. Amazing with fresh wild fish or squid and shellfish.

I believe that sometimes a name is changed for pronounciation purposes or branded registry which is similar to a copyright, but a national government registry for brands and patents.

Very nice. Even has its own video:

I use Spitiko as my every day olive oil. It’s cheap enough to use for everything and I love the flavor.

1 Like

Yes, you have a question?

Changing that last letter to an ‘i’ or adding ‘aki’ at the end of a greek noun usually means ‘little’

So one might presume that koroneiki is from a smaller strain of the same olive? A bit of Googling is showing some sources using Korineiki and others using Koroneiko, but others being a bit more obtuse using both.

These pics are of two sections of the exact same online ad:

1 Like

Yes I like that one too.

Well, some. I live in a heavily Greek neighborhood so the ingredients couldn’t be easier to get. I should cook Greek more often but there are so many cheap tavernas - and a couple of our neighbors love to share and exchange dishes. Fish dishes to die for, especially.

1 Like

@NotDoobieWah

Yes, I know. The video is very lovely.

The product is quite an elegant Evoo, and definitely not for daily use.

Have a lovely day.

What I find interesting is Greece has good quality olives and oils but its next door neighbour does not. I’m talking about Albania, a country which is also a big consumer of the oil and olives but the quality is inferior. “Uninteresting”, “nasty”, “rubbish” if I’m not mincing my words. Could it be the terroir? Types of olive, or how they are processed? Or all of these factors? It’s a shame as they consume so much of both in their cuisine.

In Albania I tasted olives at many different stalls and was baffled as to why that was the case with Albanian olives.

Really cannot tell you, as I have never been to Albania nor have I had Albanian Cuisine or any Albanian Products.

I am a grand fan of Greek Mezze.

Unfortunately, the Greek Cuisine in Barcelona is just average ! So, I prepare some Mezze every so often. There is, however, a wonderful Greek Tavern up on the Northern Costa Brava where my parents reside, and so when we visit every 3 to 4 weeks, we always go for Mezze …

I have a dear friend who is married to a Greek Gentleman, and they have a small home in Greece
and we visit them once a year, and they take us to an amazing Taverna which serves some incredible Greek specialties.

The goat and sheep cheese Feta, are awesome.

Cow feta is for exporting. However, the islands do not have cows ! They are quite arid. They produce alot of wines and olives …

Have a nice evening.

1 Like

Yes, Barca, fairly frequently, especially in summer to fall. The only thing I wish I could get here is sheep’s milk yougurt. Not available as far as I know.

Presunto, I’m afraid those vines got reeducated quite early in life…

Lambchop,

I buy goat milk Ricotta and sheep milk Ricotta at a tiny boutique dairy in route to my parents, approx 47 km from Barcelona Centre.

Late here … Ciao.

You are lucky! I’ll have to continue exploring our sheep and goat growing areas in my part of the world.

1 Like

Check with small dairy farms !

They could probably assist you …

Good luck.