Great non-mass produced condiments

Any specific recommendations?

You’ll have to do your own research. I just shop around the deficits.

In Germany they use a Curry-Ketchup in their street food (Currywurst). People could make it, but might also be willing to buy it premade.

Do you have a favorite curry-ketchup maker?

I’d buy this if not making my own:

But if you go buy some fresh, good curry powder, then you can mix it into ketchup to taste. Takes a few days to meld.

Mahlzeit!

Better still, grind your own coriander, cumin, etc., to make a unique “curry” blend, then add ketchup.

Wait, you can also make your own ketchup…

1 Like

Yes. We’d still consider carrying a particularly great one, though. We’re preferring products that have limited availability.

Yeah, fooddabbler: I agree that spice freshness is important. I normally grind my own as needed (and you can toast the seeds first!).

This
Spcy Chili Crisp.
http://nymag.com/strategist/article/lao-gan-ma-best-chili-sauce-review.html

Seriouseats just posted a recipe

https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/04/chili-crisp-spicy-salty-crunchy-tingly-and-good-on-everything.html

Been using that stuff for years. I like it with soups and pastas.

And so perhaps this is not the place for this post. I’m wanting to try making it.

have been using that all the time
think it is probably cheaper at asian store, its not, I will buy from amazon as it is not found in all asian store.
That brand , Pixian products is the best the one can buy from China
One secret inside each product label is that nowadays, an authentic Pixian douban should have the official trademark of geographical indication “郫县豆瓣” which was authorized by General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of China (AQSIQ). The stringent requirements for a manufacturer to be certified include:
Only 167 Chinese company are certified by AQSIQ
Although Chinese, I try to buy Pixian as much as I can

Thank you! Great article. I read; "fermented from only four basic ingredients of broad beans, fresh chili peppers, wheat flour and salt. "
Could that be one of the other sauces?
The “angry lady” has several.

i carry their black beans and chili sauce too
also carry the ma po but i feel they are not hot enough fo rme
always have to add chili peppers

We may carry a sauce that’s a different kind of chili crisp, made with crispy fried garlic in a chili oil base. It’s addictive!

I went to the 6th Annual NYC Hot Sauce Expo in Greenpoint, Brooklyn today with my girlfriend. It was a way different experience from the Fancy Food Show I had attended in San Francisco in January. The Fancy Food Show is an industry event to which the general public are pretty much excluded and people are looking to do a lot of wholesale business. The Hot Sauce Expo, which will continue in my absence tomorrow (technically later today, Sunday), is a public event that requires only $12 and change for tickets (and I believe $10 if paid in cash at the venue). It’s also specifically devoted to hot sauce (some alcoholic drinks, milk and bottled water are also available, as are barbecue, hot dogs and a couple of other food items, but they are sidelines), and loud though not ear-splitting heavy metal music plays from the “Stage of Doom” for most of the day.

More importantly, for my purposes, there was one absolutely phenomenal vendor, at least one other terrific one and several very good ones, among the larger number of ordinary ones and a few downright bad ones (if you’re going on the last day, please trust me and do not try the crab salsa!). The mix of vendors was quite interesting, with a good representation from New York and nearby states from Massachusetts to New Jersey, others from the South (one great one is from Florida and was in the far side of the room) and West and some international ones from Australia (who had a good gingery sauce) and England. My girlfriend also enjoyed the expo as a retail customer who tried most of the same sauces I tried and a few others and bought 3 sauces.

I’m still writing up my notes about the vendors, but definitely plan to use some products from some of the best ones who exhibited today.

At the end of the show, both of us had some beer from Lagunitas, one of the exhibitors, and a blessedly non-spicy Polish meal at a food store with tables called Polka Dot (my girlfriend also bought several items to go for her 2nd-generation Polish-American mother) and then walked down to Williamsburg to have some good hot chocolate and chamomile tea at Martha’s Country Bakery. I plan to lay off the spice tomorrow, too, but it was certainly a good afternoon and a very worthwhile trip to the expo.

2 Likes

1 Like

Well, that’s a thought… maybe you need an anti-spice product like those handy mini korean yogurt drinks! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, sorry. Started a new post.

[Spicy Chili Crisp Sauce Recipe from Serious Eats]

I chuckled. Having tastes of hot sauce all afternoon is a bit rough. But it’s all to benefit my customers! :slight_smile: