Great British Baking Show

Also, the Brits refer to “strong flour”, which I assume is bread flour (or perhaps whole wheat?) in America.

1 Like

Yes, bread flour. Everyone else calls it strong flour. Drove me nuts when I first started baking and would come across this term in books from Europe. I had no idea of gluten or anything and there were few reliable online resources. I would imagine strong flour to be all sorts of things.

1 Like

Absolutely not, especially not in that quantity. You can see one of the commenters chides the poster about this, too. They might be fine with the results, but there will be a noticeable difference in both texture and flavor.

I am working my way through the comments but was that the cookie or the pie link?

Pie.

P.S. The cookies are better than the pie. The cookies taste like a refined Captain Crunch cereal.

3 Likes

Apologies for my poor communication. I meant if you are talking about the non-WW white flour most commonly found on grocery store shelves – like cake, AP, bread – then the higher the protein percentage, the higher your gluten development. For whole wheat and many locally milled flours, it’s a different story (which is why you’ll often see vital wheat gluten in 100% WW breads.)

2 Likes

Correct. We’d usually see it labelled as, say, "strong white bread flour. Like this from our normal supermarket:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/foodcupboard-essentials/sainsburys-strong-white-bread-flour--unbleached-15kg

1 Like

I just impetuously ordered it. Need to see it for myself, what will I do with it? Well, I guess I’ll drive off that bridge when I get to it…

1 Like

The suspense is killing me! I’m thinking I might make the corn cookies. See what you did? Your fault!

1 Like

My shoulders are broad- I can bear that burden.
Hey,if nothing else, I’ve learned quite a bit from this thread.

1 Like

Well that’s a relief. :grimacing:

1 Like

Every now and then, I’ll also purchase a new ingredient and then force myself to use it. Remember to report back!

If you have space, you might want store it in the fridge or freezer, otherwise it can go stale. All my specialty flours are in the freezer: oat, corn, coconut, potato, almond. Flours I use more regularly, like rye, WW and semolina, are in the fridge. Then pastry, AP, and bread are in the pantry. Rice and sweet rice are also in the pantry, those seem to stay ok at room temp.

2 Likes

Thanks! Reminded me to put my hazelnut and almond flour in the freezer. I had such ambitious plans.

Rice and sweet rice flour?

2 Likes

We are now two in the house, but we have two full sized fridges- one is in the garage, plus a smaller one in the kitchen, and a “beverage fridge” in the shop,whichis usually unplugged, especially since lockdown. Oh- also a chest freezer in the garage. We have space, or would if we did a real purge. Now I am ashamed.

3 Likes

Rice flour I use primarily for breading and for savoury pancakes. Sweet (glutinous) rice flour is for mochi and other similarly textured sweets.

3 Likes

Orthogonal! Ish. Wholewheat flour also comes in both kinds, strong/bread and ‘regular’. Which I think makes sense, as one is a milling thing, and the other is a ‘what sort of wheat did you start with’ one.

1 Like

Eh, those all sound like sizes, yes? :slight_smile: I think they vary a lot. idly googling, I see on the localised Le Creuset (I have such notions of myself!) website:-

“Stoneware Classic Square Dish
DIMENSIONS
Capacity: 1.8 L
Length: 28.7 cm
Width: 23.9 cm
Height: 5 cm”

Couple of things catch my eye. First, it’s not sold as a “casserole dish”, but just as a “dish”. I’m also seeing many sold as “lasagne dish”, “roasting dishes”, and other such malarkey. “Casserole dish” seems by default to mean more an ovenproof stovetoppable round pan with a lid, which isn’t necessarily what I’d have thought as a casserole. But pressing on… the first dimension given is volume. Now that makes sense to me, as that’s getting to the nub of what you likely want. 2.4l for a couple, 4.2l for a family of four, sagely suggests the BBC Good Food website. And… that ‘square’ dish is actually rectangular. Those tricksy frenchies!

3 Likes

I think it very much usually is, though? (Well, except in Chinese cooking, of course. “We’re having cornstarch three ways!” I recall the former host exclaiming in an ATK ep.) Typical application is as a thickener when you don’t want the, well, floury taste of flour.

I’ve never cooked with masa, but I’d imagine they were very different for this sort of sauce-thickening, coating or batter-making application. OTOH, if baking with it as a flour, or as part of a flour mixture, maybe not so much!

1 Like
3 Likes

OK. Throwing in my chit for being confused. Are they talking hot smoked or cold smoked salmon here?