Grating/shredding large quantities by hand

8 Likes

I find a tray is more stable than a bowl with a small bottom.

Yesterday, I have to grate a large amount of chocolate (curly effect for decoration), not easy as the chocolate are in chips. Tried using a peeler, but it took very long, and melted fast.

1 Like

In that case, Iā€™d melt and temper the chips and form a block, then shave or grate the block.

1 Like

When I grate quantities of anything itā€™s usually cheese. I use a box grater. I set it on a piece of waxed paper, grate as much as I need then lift the grater off of the pile of cheese after grating and use the waxed paper to transfer it to a bowl or storage container.

4 Likes

Whatā€™s your favored method of tempering if you donā€™t have a tempering machine? Is there a minimum amount you would temper (this is home use)? Iā€™m trying to replicate a chocolate I had recently. I have a lot of experience with chocolate in baking, but not in confectionery.

by hand I use a box grater - and anyone who has issues with build up of grated stuff on a solid surface has many issues of undefined natureā€¦
otoh, I use a tapered ā€˜old styleā€™ Kitchen Aid mixer attachment for quantities that exceed my wrist toleranceā€¦

btw and fwiw and fyi . . . the straight barrel attachments are regularly dissed - for max usability go with the tapered cone shredding/cutting disks - the shredded stuff rotates out of the tapered disk, one needs a ā€˜stickā€™ to remove/clear the shredded stuff from a cylindrical shredding disk.

Remember that if grating potatoes for latkes, knuckle blood is a required ingredient.

5 Likes

I have really bad hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder arthritis, which makes me even more vulnerable to fear of shredding knuckles/fingers when doing the last bits of box grating.

I agree box grating is superior in many respects. Butā€¦any advice on how to go the last bits without grating fingers? Is there a kind of shield to handle it such as those that come with some of the more expensive mandoline slicers? Should I just get the gloves? If so, which ones?

I love the microplane zesters; however, I have the same problem with them.

1 Like

I had one of those ā€œKing Kutterā€ graters and that thing drew more blood from me than any other grater. I got rid of it.
As far as grating or slicing large quantities, I use the shredding or slicing blade on my Cuisinart.

It makes a big job quick & easy, all of the (dirty) parts can go in the dishwasher and Iā€™m not bleeding when finished.

2 Likes

Seeding or incomplete melting. Either way, you want a few un-melted pieces to add stable cocoa butter crystals as the chocolate cools from 95F to working temp of +/- 89F. You can temper as much or as little as needed, though for many things it helps to have extra you can re-temper the same chocolate over and over.

What are you trying to replicate?

Or get a vintage sauerkraut cutter

https://www.ebay.com/b/Cabbage-Cutter-In-Antique-Primitives/1217/bn_7022427138

1 Like

I use the shield from my mandoline.

I use a box grater for cheese, but for other things I use this. I have probably had it for 30 or 35 years.

mouli

2 Likes

one has to accept, or regretā€¦ using a mandolin or a box grater entails a certain amount of ā€œlossā€ / ā€œwasteā€

I save the last little bloodless chunks for later use - fine diced & melted in souffle/toppings/etcā€¦

1 Like

I would love to find one of these. I look occasionally on eBay but havenā€™t had any luck.

Thanks for the info.

This is what Iā€™m trying to replicate. I really like it, but itā€™s expensive, and Iā€™ve never made chocolates, so I thought Iā€™d give it a shot. I was thinking of putting Madeira into plum preserves, and using that with marzipan in chocolate. It would be trivial to make it in a cake.

Itā€™s $16.95 plus the usual usurious brokerage fees. Amazon is only slightly cheaper.

1 Like
2 Likes

Schwer ANSI A9 Cut Resistant Gloves, Food Grade Reliable Cutting Gloves, Mandoline Gloves for Kitchen Meat Cutting, Oyster Shucking, Fish Fillet Processing, Mandoline Slicing (1 Pair, L) - - Amazon.com

I use something like these for opening oysters and using a mandoline. I donā€™t know what brand I have but they look similar to these. I also have a pair of chainmail gloves, but I like these better. They are more comfortable and allows for more dexterity. I think they would work well with a box grater.

3 Likes

Thank you! I hadnā€™t looked for awhile!!

1 Like

When I have to grate a lot of something Iā€™ll just use the food processor. I bought it for that purpose and chopping a zillion years ago when I had carpal tunnel problems in both wrists ( it was very hard even to hold the babies!). After the hand surgeries I went back to using the old straight grater. The roommate has sharpened the holes over the years. I will put the grater in a big Tupperware bowl with a grip pad on underneath the bowl to keep it from sliding around.

1 Like