Gorgeous local organic strawberries

Today at WF SF, got these great strawberries. They had both Driscoll and Tomatero.

Tomatero were riper; look at how they are red top to bottom. I usually hull, slice, sprinkle on a little sugar, place in glass bowl in fridge … they last longer this way.

8 Likes

Agree, those are just beautiful! We’ve got a couple weeks before the local ones are on where I live. (PNW) They’re smaller, more perishable than those found in the supermarkets, but red throughout, and so tasty. Always try to make a triple batch of strawberry jam with them when I can. Plus eat a lot fresh of course, too. :strawberry:

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Got these from Battle View Orchid in Freehold NJ

3 Likes

Battle View Orchards ^^^

1 Like

Another PNW person here. Strawberry season is one of the highlights of our year. We grow them, and this year have given them paricularly meticulous attention and the weather seems to be cooperating. :strawberry:

With any luck, we’ll eat our fill and fill our freezer. I’m studying a genoise cake I’d like to bake, layered with fresh strawberries and whipped cream (BCOTM Gateau). We will definately make strawberry ice cream and short cakes. Also looking into strawberry shrubs - I haven’t tried that before (although find strawberry liqeuers too sweet for my taste). If push comes to shove, we’ll make popsicles, dehydrate some, and possibly make jam.

If all else fails, we’ll call in the rellies and friends to help us with the surplus.

4 Likes

I’ve made Fany Gerson’s paletas with FM blackberries and 5% Greek Yugurt. Bet would be great with good strawberries. I’ve made with raspberries too.

3 Likes

I was born and raised in Santa Cruz County, aka strawberry country. We used to buy still sun-warm berries directly from the fields. We always chose BRIGHT red, not dark red berries which we considered over-ripe and with short shelf-life. Ad of course, any dark spots are signs of bruising and beginning of decay. Okay for jam but over-the-hill for eating out of hand or table use. In fact, there are several Central Valley farmstands on our usual drives that we now shun because they pick too late and their berries have lost the fresh flavor and sometimes are losing vitality by the time we get them home. Just my take.

5 Likes

we are probably at peak strawberry in Santa Cruz. there were about 10 options at the FM yesterday. if i had to choose, i’d go with Swanton Farms as having the most reliably beautiful. i tend to macerate most of the take from the season for preservation, but i also want a few around at all times to slice over oatmeal or yogurt. i like to use the 30% vinegar solution method to preserve whole berries. these will last around 5 days in my fridge in peak shape.

5 Likes

We’d make a day of u-pick coastal strawbs (I doubt they were organic) and then tuck in a one of the campgrounds for the night, eating our pick along the way. Box oven or cast iron baked short bisquits, sliced straws and hand whipped cream made for breakfast the next day. Ah, memories.

5 Likes

Swanton in Davenport, is organic.

Here in Monmouth County NJ it’s peak strawberry picking season
So many orchards within a 10 mile radius.
I’m not a baker or a jam maker but taking my city slicker grandchild strawberry picking gives me more happiness than anything else.

4 Likes
1 Like

In south-central Pa, the u-picks opened on Memorial Day weekend. At farmers market today though I was told that the drought we are in is going to severely restrict the season for everyone who doesn’t have in-field irrigation. Sad news for all. Also worried about every crop to come this year!

2 Likes

When I’m buying at the store (usually Berkeley Bowl) vs. farmers market, Tomatero is my go-to, because they’re reliably good. Tomatero also sells at some of the East Bay farmers markets (though not my usual ones). At the farmers market, it’s whatever’s best, which is sometimes Swanton, but often not.

2 Likes

Connecticut from my farmer friend down the road.

4 Likes

Ah, ‘the Bowl’. Great memories of that place!

Luckily for me, it’s my most-convenient market.

My first harvest

9 Likes

We’re still weeks away. I have strawberry envy! :strawberry:

4 Likes