Goodbye from John_E

I think stuff would start getting lost if it’s all in one thread. A board where we can post updates would work well.

Hi, John:

I’m hoping you stick it out here long enough to understand how many people are praying and rooting for you.

I learned a lot from your posts, as did many.

Hang in there, Brah.

Aloha,
Kaleo

John,

There is nothing I can say that either hasn’t already been said or that you don’t know already. Sadly the fragility of life is a harsh reality for you and for that I am truly sorry.

Spend your time, as it seems you are trying, doing whatever it is that brings you pleasure and distracts you from your pain.

Thank you for in some small way sharing yourself, your thoughts, views and opinions with me and everyone. You have made this and “other” venues a better place with your contributions, so in some small way you positively impacted my life and all others who shared these platforms with you. Thank you again.

Try to face each day with a smile, try to enjoy every moment you can, savor them like a fine wine.

You are and will remain in my prayers.

God Bless & Regards,
Bob

2 Likes

Wishing you peace and sending you cyber hugs.

John, I’m so sorry to read this. My best wishes and prayers for you and yours during this difficult time.

I hope the rest of your journey is kind and peaceful. C Oliver from CH

I have no words except wishing you a peaceful journey, John.

So sorry to hear this news. I’ve always enjoyed your interaction on Chowhound and can only wish you the best possible outcome. Will miss you John.

What she said.

John

I too find myself struggling to articulate.

Maintain your courage, John E. It has been my pleasure to have met and know you over these past several years.

Fare thee well.

1 Like

I agree with MZ John… very difficult to speak to your situation. Deeply saddened to hear the news. I hope you are able to spend as much quality time with family & friends as possible. I can only wish you a peaceful journey to eternal happiness.

Tom

3 Likes

What a cruel twist of fate. So sorry to hear you say goodbye, but I understand. My husband was also put on a feeding tube in September due to several bouts of pneumonia (and assorted other issues) so I know what a nightmare it is, especially for people like us. Hopefully your sabbatical will clear your head a bit. Best wishes always.

1 Like

John, may your trip to the other side be peaceful and comforting.

I’m so sorry to hear this. I wish you peace , comfort and strength.

John E,

You are a great friend. We know each other for years from Chowhound to HungryOnion. I just want to say that you have bought a lot of joy and have had a positive influence on me. I hope all the best to you and your family.

2 Likes

I’ll add my good wishes for your waning months to those already present here. If you have not seen the final four New York Times essays by Oliver Sacks, I recommend them as a master class in making peace with approaching death. I am a subscriber, so I do not know if they are behind a paywall, but they were recently published in a slim volume entitled “Gratitude”. The last, “Sabbath”, was written just three weeks before Dr. Sacks died. In September, a piece called “Filter Fish” appeared in the New Yorker magazine - it’s a reflection, during his final days, on finding comfort in the food of his early childhood memories

g, thanks for that. I finally bit the bullet and subscribed after they figured out I was getting too much for free. I’ll look it up.

The first piece was almost a year ago, “My Own Life”. I have read Dr. Sacks’s articles and books for decades; I admired him more than anyone else in MY own life.

2 Likes

This is very sad news. I have enjoyed reading your comments over the years. I wish you peace!

So sorry to hear this, John. My best wishes to you.