Goodbye from John_E

Mod note: This post and its replies are moved from a Top Chef thread so it doesn’t get lost among the TV discussions.

I was once an active participant in the Top Chef threads (at *ahem Chowhound). I wasn’t into it last season though I enjoyed previous seasons and the associated Chowhound threads.

I am not looking for sympathy, I am just saying goodbye to my on-line food friends.

Last December (2014) I was diagnosed with cancer. It is cancer of the worst kind, at least for someone who really likes food and to cook food for others.

I have a rare form of oral cancer that has affected my tongue. (I did not smoke nor chewed tobacco. The doctors are baffled.)

The last year has been a challenge. I have been on a GI tube for several months.

I can no longer participate in these food threads. It just too difficult. I thank you for the lively discussions we have had and I hope the Hungry Onion will grow into a community that we once had at that other www place.

I have been given a year+. At least I have time to say goodbye and to get things in order. I hate the crying and not eating. (I now weigh what I did at 22.)

I really hope Hungry Onion grows to have a busy forum like we used to have at that other place.

4 Likes

John-wishing you peace during this difficult time.

John, thank you so very much for sharing this. Wishing you the best, most comfortable, love & peace-filled year ahead of you.

John, like everyone here, my heart goes out to you. Your CH contributions were lively and lovely. Thank you so much for your words - and prayers and best to you.

Call Achatz, yes. And please keep posting for as long as you can.

John_E - I have no words. You have my prayers for peace and comfort.

1 Like

John_E I am so sorry to hear of your illness. Thanks for all you have contributed to our community. You and your family are in my prayers. I wish you peace and mnay
blessings.

Ohhh, John. I’m so very, very sorry to read this. My heart goes out to you and your family and friends. Wishing you peace and comfort as you travel down this very difficult road. {{{{{hugs}}}}

Oh John_E - I am so sorry to hear this. Wishing you comfort and peace and thanking you for all of your many, many contributions on this and the “other” site. Heartfelt thoughts for you, your family and all that know and love you.

I am so very sorry to hear this, John. I was never a participant on these threads, but I am saddened by your terrible news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

John, I’m terribly sorry to read this. Please know that all your comments and wisdom here and at CH were welcomed and invaluable to me as. You and your family have my continual prayers and hopes for strength and courage.

So sorry to read this, John_E. I can’t even imagine what it must be like to deal with this difficult news and circumstances. If I recall, Grant Achatz, of Alinea fame, had a sobering diagnosis of tongue cancer with a glum outlook, and he was able to recover and continue cooking up a storm. I wish for a similar miraculous recovery and turnaround for you too. You and your family are in my thoughts.

3 Likes

Oh Dear my Owl Friend …

I am stunned and saddened by your post. You have always been such a great presence here and over “there.”

I wish you peace and strength and know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

C. Hamster

John, I can only echo the sentiments of those who responded before me: you are in my thoughts and I sincerely wish for your peace and comfort at this difficult time.

So very, very sad. I will miss your insights and humor.

As so many have said, John_E, I wish you love, peace and healing during this difficult time, and thank you for sharing your story. Your contributions have always been filled with insight and humor and have added tremendously to the chowhound/hungry onion community. All the best to you and your family.

Alright - you’re still here. Post the shit out of these forums. We love your contributions and now we’ll have to reply so maybe it will help jump start some traffic!!!

:wink: I know that won’t come across as intended but … maybe it will - and of course I mirror the above comments and sentiments.

I heard they got Grant Achatz’s tongue cancer into remission with some new treatment and saved his tongue. Any chance? Give him a call and see.

3 Likes

John E, you have always been one of my favorite Chowhound posters, and not just on the Top Chef threads. I’ve already lit my prayer spell candles for you, both wax and digital. I wish you the best possible luck in a difficult situation - I like you so much myself in your online form I can only imagine how hard this must be for the people around you who know and love you in your actual human form. Thank you for everything you’ve written, and bless.

So sorry to read that, John. All the best to you.

Other HOs, do we have a member news area or other place where personal updates won’t get lost in the TV talk?

3 Likes

Good idea for another board

1 Like

Very good idea. @hungryonion, is this a possibility?

Why not just a thread on Site Talk rather than a new board of its own?

2 Likes