Good source for Moroccan ras el hanout spice blend?

My bag of ras el hanout has gone a little stale after getting neglected in the shelves for well… years. So its time for replacement.

Short of attempting to mix my own, are there any good online sources for ras el hanout (that hopefully also won’t break the bank) with good flavors? Any one with experience on bugging local Moroccan restaurants for their blend?

Thanks!

I get mine from Kalustyan’s: http://kalustyans.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=14_75&product_id=4598

Thanks Travelmad. Sometimes I get other spices online as well. How’s the reputation of Kalustyan’s in general, versus places like Penzey’s?

I don’t know about Penzey’s but in my experience Kalustyan’s is unbeatable. Their selection is astonishing and they are good with shipping, although I usually just go to their store in NY.

I was going to suggest Kalyustan’s myself since that’s where my ras el hanout comes from - but I haven’t really tried blends from any other NYC store except Sahadi’s (which I didn’t like as much - Kalyustan’s is more complex and includes the floral notes from rose petals and lavender, which most of the mail order places don’t seem to include). Penzey’s doesn’t carry a ras el hanout, the Spice House does, but I’ve never tried it and again it looks like Sahadi’s, not complex enough for me.

I hear good things about Kalustyan’s mail order but I have never used it since I’m in NYC.

By the way where did you get the bag you’re using now?

I got mine from I think Amazon. Zamouri brand. That was from when I just returned from a trip to Morocco. Should have just bought it from Morocco at the time.

Here’s mine and the only version I’ve tried.

They apparently don’t do online sales. Send me a PM if you want me to pick up a bottle. for ya’.

Well, heck’s bells, sck - there’s the website right there on the bag.

http://www.zamourispices.com/product-p/raselhanout.htm

And there’s their page for their ras el hanout. Looks like a good one, too. Maybe I’ll try it.

You are right! Didn’t think to actually look at the label. I peeled off the bar code to look at the ingredients.

Zamouri’s: Tumeric, Ginger, Cinnamon, Fennel, Anise Seed, Cardamon, Galangal, Star Anise, Cayenne Pepper, Nigella, Paprika, Rosebuds, Salt, Ajwan seeds, Lavender Blossoms, Mace and other spices. (their web site also mentions cloves and kala jeera, over 35 herbs and spices)

Kalustyan’s:
Coriander, Cumin, Fennel, Allspice, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Anise, Cardamom, Ginger, Nutmeg, Rose Petals, Turmeric, Lavender.

Phoenicia:
Cumin, Ginger, Tumeric, Salt, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Coriander, Cayenne Pepper, All Spice, Nutmeg, Cloves

Spice Ace: Cinnamon, Turmeric, Ginger Powder, Fenugreek, Black Pepper, Coriander, Allspice, Nutmeg, Cayenne Pepper, Cloves, Cumin, Sea Salt

I wonder why there is such a large price variation. Zamouri’s, Kalustyan’s and Spice Ace are relatively pricey. Exotic ingredients? (though most don’t seem exotic) labor? any idea?

1 Like

I’ve always wondered about that in terms of th exhorbitant prices for spices at supermarkets.

Phonecia’s is similar to an epicurious recipe

Thinking of this thread, I smelled Spice Ace’s and it smelled fragrant and good. But I’m not surewhat you’re looking for, so can’t comment on its fit (I understand ras al hanout to be a family recipe kind of thing, like garam masala, and haven’t sampled many). I’ll note that their Berbere blend has fewer exotic ingredients and less salt than what I picked up in Ethiopia, even though they sell some of the component ingredients.

Btw, Rainbow in SF sells it in bulk. I’ll post its ingredient list when I go next.

Thanks. Maybe this?

I don’t have strict requirements. I just want generally fresh spices that are pretty fragrant, and isn’t medieval silk road spice prices.

1 Like