GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

medo halal cart, 86th and 3rd, I couldnt decide btw a gyro or chicken and lamb over rice so I asked the chef to put gyro bread on top of the rice combo. he threw the bread on the grill so it got hot and a blistered (and ok , a little greasy in a good way because halal cart meals can never be too greasy) then he chopped up the bread and threw more white sauce over the bread. doesnt look appealing but imo, definitely the way to go!

4 Likes

West Lake minced beef with pan-fried mei fun — Cantonese noodles that stayed crispy till we decided otherwise — from a recent meal at Secret Kitchen, 18520 Horace Harding Expy., Fresh Meadows, Queens. Also shown water spinach with preserved bean curd sauce, an even better version than what some of us Hungry Onioners enjoyed at Jiang Nan late last year, and chicken with garlic sauce.

8 Likes

Want.

1 Like

I’m having borderline inappropriate thoughts about this chicken

1 Like

all these dishes look great. good to see the water spinach dish too!

Looks appealing to me!

Yum! Was it as delicious as it looks?

That’s a fair assessment! You can see a few other dishes, all of them good to very good, on my Instagram post.

1 Like

Chveni Cafe, 18th Avenue, Brooklyn with a group of 5, friends and family.

Warm and friendly place with well cooked and flavored dishes, can byo. Items pictured below, a yellow traditional style georgian wine fermented underground in a quevri: georgian salad with walnuts and herbs, very fresh and good, pkali and eggplant with walnuts - the latter was stellar; chvistari, cornbread with cheese and mchadi, cornbread; bazhe, walnut sauce; pickles; khinkali; and a light and tasty kupati (sausage)

Not pictured was the excellent khachapuri chveneburi, a very delicate khachapuri filled with green onions and cheese, lobio (stewed red beans), elarji, cornmeal porridge with cheese. We hope to get back soon! We were the only customers on a quiet monday nights, weekends are busier, sometimes with music.

https://www.facebook.com/ChveniCafe/

Add images here

5 Likes

Looks lovely – what did you enjoy most?

eggplant, kachapuri chveneburi (poor pic provided of lovely stuffed bread), georgian salad, sausage were my faves, cornbreads, but everything was good especially slathered with the bazhe and yellow plum sauce offered. Bread was fresh baked, too.
My friends (including one who speaks georgian and cooks many of the dishes) are not eating meat or gluten so we were somewhat constrained in exploring all the meat dishes.

1 Like

Looks like a lot of gluten on the table! That’s a tough combination for your friend.

Anyone have recent dish recs for Noodletown? (Post-reno… though I’d be surprised if they are terribly different than pre-reno.)

she didnt eat the kachapuri - just the corn based items. The elarji, like a polenta wth cheese in it, and lobio (red beans) were her main dish item.

Wednesday’s I think are sandwich days. I am never in the city on Wednesday.

I never told you this but you have a knack for finding items on a menu that are not obvious/most popular.

Looks good. Strange location. I’ve been meaning to check it out but keep delaying. I’m a frequent flyer at Tone Cafe in Brighton but mostly for takeout these days. I havent found better Kharcho anywhere.
I noticed you didnt say much about the Khinkali. I usually find them too doughy and tough to eat.
I got a very sad Lobio from Netcost in the fridge.

1 Like

the khinkhali was fine, well cooked and the meat to dough ratio was good. you have to remember that the topknot is a handle and not meant to be eaten. You take a little bite and suck out the juice before continuing.
I think after a lot of e asian dumplings these might seem a little heavy. Note this is one item they dont make in house, “a guy” makes them for Chveni.

We did not fully explore Chveni’s meat offerings since our hosts were not meat eaters.

There are a lot of georgians living in this borough park neighborhood, its quite a mixed bag. Note its a Christian community - I think georgian food was introduced into Brooklyn before this population influx, since the cuisine is so popular among Russians - we used to go to Primorski etc and eat georgian dishes without knowing it 30 years ago. When it was easier to cruise brooklyn and find parking in the neighborhoods, I used to go by Tone Cafe when it was Georgian Bread - and buy crazy good roast pork, pkhali and other things there, its been a while. Another good place for Georgian takeout is Apani, in Sheepshead Bay.

3 Likes

Fish Cheeks steamed fish with lime, garlic, and herbs :heart_eyes:

1 Like

looks wonderful! where did you eat this?

Maxi’s has my favorite wonton noodle! I haven’t tried Wu’s. Maxi is super cool and friendly.

2 Likes