GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

isodi’s lasagna

Eim Khao Man Gai in Elmhurst.

Spongies Cafe.

Thai Diner.

Tribeca Finest.

Sun Hing Lung. Texture wise these are my favorite rice rolls but the sauces are watery.

Le Phin.

Michaeli babka.

Spicy Village tomato egg noodle and pepper chicken.

L’industrie

Christo’s Soulvaki

5 Likes

I had one of the best roast beef sandwiches there over the summer

1 Like

Ok, so its still a bit early in the morning, but I loved the Christo’s Souvlaki photo. I had to re-focus to the correct sizing of the skewer & rid myself of the thought that it was a parking meter or street sign substitute.

3 Likes

Two to try, if you haven’t (I love rice rolls):

https://joessteamriceroll.business.site/

I noticed this Reddit thread. I was considering posting a similar thread for Toronto on HO. :joy: https://www.reddit.com/r/FoodNYC/comments/ues55u/most_overrated_restaurants_in_nyc/

No pics, but I stopped by the midtown east location of Kung Fu xlb this week, and it was consistent with my frequent experience at the midtown west one.

They’ve taken the giant jars of chilli oil off the table, which was probably a pandemic thing, and are back to the “normal” chilli oil vs the better / slightly pasty with probably chilli bean sauce version that they had for a while (used to be the second one they’d give – you had ask twice, lol).

The crab and pork xlb were flavorful and with a not-too-thick-not-too-thin skin, the pan-fried dumplings were as expected (and tasty), the scallion pancake with beef (which I fondly refer to as Chinese kathi roll) seemed a bit under-filled vs what I’ve had before, but good, my friends enjoyed the cucumber, and we shared a duck ramen because they wanted it – good, but I don’t order ramen or stir-fried dishes there if I can help it.

Glad they are still doing well. Gotta get back to Joe’s.

(In weird nyc things and people, a couple with a baby came in after us and sat down, ordered a bunch of food, ate their soup dumplings, then started to get up before the rest of their food was served. Apparently they “needed to go” and didn’t want to pay for the rest of the food that hadn’t been served, and didn’t want to take it to go, never mind that it had already been fired. Huh? Don’t know how that ended.)

1 Like

Golden Unicorn. Got there @9:30am and our party of 10 was seated immediately (yay!). I haven’t been here in decades. It’s not as good or as cheap as East Harbor (the last place I had dim sum), but it’s a 10:00 bus ride from my apartment, so…

Mid-dumpling coma, presently.

4 Likes

Curious about the UWS Joe’s Steam Rice Roll? Haven’t been to any location, but figure you have?

It’s fine, with the caveat that that is not my preferred style of rice roll.

I much prefer the dim sum style cheung fun, with equal filling to wrapper ratio, wrapped into an actual roll.

Joe’s and Sun hing ling are the other kind, with scant filling, and the ‘rolls” more loose noodles that are scooped into the takeout container.

In the dim sum kind, the filling is seasoned and the rolls are topped with sweet soy; in the loose kind you add soy sauce and chilli sauce to taste on top, and that’s the only seasoning. Fillings / toppings are also pretty different for each type.

(On the UWS, Jing Fong makes good dim sum style cheung fun — for a while they had a crispy wild mushroom one that it was hard to get just one order of, but it’s gone now.)

I haven’t been in years but it was always a reliable stop in Manhattan when visitors needed cart dim sum.

No carts! Just menus with check boxes. The last place I had carts in Manhattan was Joy Luck, and they’re gone, I think.

Well, there was one cart - the wonton soup cart.

Love the Jing Fong ones. I stick with those (the shrimp ones my fave)! I’ll keep skipping by Joe’s, but I got curious after @small_h’s post for the downtown one.

Here’s what a Joe’s dried shrimp rice roll looks like. Or what it looked like in 2018, anyway.

I’ll try it when it’s warmer out, and I can eat it there (I think there are a couple of tables, though honestly have not been in the place, though it is down the street from me). Assuming your plate was from downtown? Looks good to me, worth trying anyway! The ones I get from Jing Fong have actual whole shrimp (big ones) in them.

Not sure about the dried shrimp either. Are there real shrimp in the dish too, or only the dried kind? I’m guessing I’ve eaten dried shrimp before, but not sure where or if I’d notice, or what they taste like even. Doesn’t sound so appetizing to me, though, I must say. My former husband kept big, smelly tanks of tropical fish, and I think he fed them stuff that sounds like “dried shrimp” to me. On the list of things I never missed when we split. Just sayin’.

Worth trying at some point - they also have jian bing.

1 Like

Well, they are real. Just dried. They have a more intense flavor than fresh shrimp, and obviously a different texture - chewier. You’ve probably seen them for sale in the Chinese groceries, alongside the dried scallops (which can be very pricey!). And you’ve almost definitely eaten them, if you’ve had an egg roll at some point.

And yes, I’ve only been to the Canal Street one. There was one on St. Marks also, for a hot minute.

1 Like

There’s something about eating a dried shrimp that gives me a gag reflex.

I use them all the time in stocks, soups and broth (for the umami and brininess) but eating one, no. Just no.

2 Likes

Really! They don’t bother me at all. I like dried scallops, too. But I don’t eat them out of hand; they’re always somewhat rehydrated during prep.

Yeah, conpoy is fine with me (but usually after being rehydrated and used in soups/stocks) they’re pretty tasteless and flaccid.

But dried shrimp. They’re my kryptonite.