GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

Fish Cheeks in the East Village/NoHo. Highly recommend this steamed fish!

3 Likes

We’ve been to Argo on Coney Island Ave several times and have liked it better than most of the other Georgian places in the area.

Shanghai Eats. I like their SJB’s snd the rice cakes remind me of my paternal side.

Angry Nonna at Mama’s Too.

Egg tart at Xin Fa.

Luigi’s Pizza :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

is there coconut in that egg tart?

I dont believe so. Its closer to a Portuguese Pastel de nata, tho its in Brooklyn Chinatown. Expect a line, but they move quick. They sell so many of them that you are almost guaranteed a fresh from the oven sizzling hot, so better to wait before eating. Sometimes they run out and cant keep up. Assuming this was taken in Sunset Park. Second location in Bensonhurst is not the same. I’m a fan as you can tell. I have more pictures of it than my kids

PS, most memorable meal for us as of late was Mejwaani, specializing in Maharashtrian cuisine in Edison (review on the NJ forum). Which means I’m now 0 for 2 as far as the title goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure this falls under “good eats,” exactly, more like “okay eats.” Foie gras (tahini-based) and coq au vin (pea protein) at Delices and Sarrasin, a vegan French restaurant on Christopher St. I’ve never had actual foie gras or actual coq au vin, because I stopped eating meat when I was 17, before I’d encountered either. So I don’t have much to compare these to, but I know what liver and chicken taste like, and these did not taste like liver and chicken. Nevertheless, they were inoffensive, and the texture seemed right. The bread was good. The coq au vin came with an alarming number of mushrooms, but only two carrots, but maybe this is normal, what do I know. The restaurant is tiny, with a single waiter, so needless to say service is a bit inattentive. The wine list looked like something you’d find at a diner (just “Merlot,” “Chardonnay,” etc.), which is pretty weird for a French restaurant, non?

2 Likes

“Inoffensive” sounds like damning with faint praise to me. And although I wouldn’t describe foie gras as tasting like liver, I do like my chicken to taste like chicken! Still, I think @Ziggy has opened the door in this thread to “okay” or “avoid” eats! So, thanks!

If you are going out with a kosher or vegan friend, you could do worse.

2 Likes

We are staying in flushing.

We went from the train to Hamido Seafood. lunch was super. Orata, clams baked w/olive oil, beets, garlic eggplant and salad.

Dinner was a happy yelp discovery. Gupji was close and the menu looked great. The food was outstanding. We started with what might be the best tako wasabi I have ever had. The ictopus was good sushi bar quality. Next was a salad they gave us service, or free. Mango, avocado, tomato and fresh mozzarella pearls. So good. I had pollock roe stew which was very good. The broth was deeply flavored yet the overall dish was light. The best version of this dish I have had. Kay had a bento with grilled mackerel, kim chi, pickles, kaarage, rolled egg omelet , really good red bean rice.

The server was super sweet. Will go back.

149-11a avenue 41.
Tiny spot, 3 team member. Seats maybe 40. Some of the best Korean food i have had.

3 Likes

Noodletown.

Roast meats are excellent as always. Second order of duck was fattier / flabbier than the first, but still really good.

The noodles were great but I didn’t enjoy the seafood (and neither did my tummy later) — should have stuck with the mixed meat option but the waiter convinced us to switch.

Wontons are much better at Wu’s.

Wonton soup with roast pork

Soy sauce chicken and Roast duck over rice

Seafood pan fried noodles

Another order of just Roast duck

7 Likes

Jian bing at Urbanspace Vanderbilt.

Tasted good, but filling was scant, especially at the inflated office area price point.

2 Likes

ha, I mainly asked about coconut because it did not look smooth inside! thats normally a no no for custards, means its overcooked but I do not remember this ever being an issue with either pastel de nata or the chinese egg custards.

our HO eatiing group is going to have envy of your maharastrian meal given that been the chosen cuisine on the cookbook forum for the last couple months!

1 Like

Its a pudding-like interior, but overall oh so good. Its unlike any pastel or chinese egg tart you’ll find in the city

We had a fun meal at Haenueo in Park Slope. Named after the female divers of Jeju Island in Korea, at the expense of not being able to pronounce or spell the name. Husband and wife team. Jenny Kwak was one of the Korean food pioneers, opened her first restaurant in 1992 in East Village when she was 19. Husband from New Orleans, hence grilled oysters and beignets. Packed house, Not so easy to reserve.

The Squid and the Whale cocktail - mizu lemongrass shochu + sesame oil + egg white. Meh. Love Sesame oil in cooking, but it was just too prevalent and too weird in a drink. I was intrigued due to the many rave reviews. Maybe if it came with a side bowl of noodles?

School Girl cocktail - blanc de blanc + elderflower liqueur + lychee - She really liked it, and demands I now make it home.

Grilled oysters - seaweed butter, brioche toast (5pcs) 22. Nice and buttery escargot-like oysters. Not the heavy breaded ones you find in NOLA

Crispy wings - yang yum. Sweet, sour and spicy. Typical high end Korean wings.

Dukboki - fundido saucy & spicy rice cake, chorizo, Oaxaca cheese 16. Probably our favorite dish of the night. Mexican inspired but unmistakably Korean flavors. Best part is the Oaxaca cheese soaked (eventually) in all that chili.

Sablefish filet - pan sauté simmered in soy garlic sauce 32. Very good. Like a nice miso glazed cod

Kalbi jjim - beef short ribs, carrot, jalapeño 38. Supremely flavored, tender short ribs in a thin broth. Served with plain dry white rice for some reason.

Sugar dusted beignets 10. - Nice. Nor nearly as fried, or good as Cafe du Monde. More like sugar dusted Gnocco Fritto. Try not to make the mistake I usually make. Exhale while biting

They brough the mains before we finished the apps. Thats my biggest pet peeve, and really unacceptable at a place like this. They’ve been open long enough to know how to do this.

Final cost for two $220, but we ordered an extra dish. Expect something more like in the $180-200 range, although I would recommend sharing a main and ordering a bunch of apps. I would have liked to try the Japchae as well. Go!

7 Likes

Cheese becoming a ubiquitous option in our ktown. Works so well.

Very cool spot good report.

2 Likes

Oops, should say Haenyeo

1 Like

Tonight I went to Al Badawi on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. This was my first visit to this Palestinian restaurant which opened last year.

TL,DR: Highly recommend.

The incredible menu was full of things you don’t usually see at the usual middle eastern joints, and even though there were three of us, we struggled to order because everything was so interesting and appealing.

Because we wanted to share apps, we did go ahead and order the standard mezze platter with hummus, baba, tabbouli, etc. I’ve eaten these dishes a thousand times, but everything was just so much punchier and flavorful,
and the pita was excellent and straight from the oven. The red pepper spread especially stood out. I couldn’t stop eating it.

We had two mains to share; the cauliflower and lamb dish in a kind of yogurt stew was the standout for me. The portions were enormous; I brought home enough for two more meals easily.

The restaurant is BYOB. Three of us ate extremely well for just over $100.

6 Likes

Good stuff. I recognize the top plate from sister Ayat. The red pepper dip is good indeed

1 Like

Glad you liked it. We’ve gone several times but cant go too often because I like it too much & have little self control on their very large portions. The dish I’ve liked the most is the Maklouba, a huge serving (2 easily, maybe 3 people could share) of chicken with veggies and lots of flavorful rice. I notice that they now have “family style” servings for well over $100, but I can only imagine what size family I would have to bring to the table to order it. Maybe a HO gathering?

2 Likes

Great idea !!