Good dim sum on LA's west-side?

We’ve been to the DTF in Vegas, and we have one somewheres around here in Seattleish. So I’ll take a pass on that one. It’s not true dim sum anyway. Thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

There’s a newish dim sum restaurant in Culver City, Iron Tea Pot.

I haven’t eaten there yet, but a friend of mine who is an incredible chef told me that he enjoyed his meal there. To clarify, he is a chef who owns restaurants.

Iron Tea Pot is like going to Olive Garden for Italian food.

As my friend is a chef who earned a Michelin star for a restaurant and you are an internet stranger who appears to revel in taking digs at me, I’ll trust him.

2 Likes

You do you!

1 Like

The world is not a kind place. At least we can be cordial to each other here. @maccrogenoff thank you for the rec. I have some Asian food lover foodie friends in LA and will double check with them. That’s a very convenient location.

2 Likes

What are your other favorites in town you may check out…hope you have a great time back in socal! we got your weather this week!

We lived on Sawtelle south of Venice, so Little Tokyo west is near and dear. My favorite Asahi ramen seems to have kicked it about 5 yrs ago, but I can see the possibility, if they still exist, of Hide sushi, Hurry Curry, Little Hong Kong cafe. I would be hard pressed to avoid Bay Cities as well. If not for the sandwiches, then at least to bring some provisions down south with us. I’m honestly not sure what else. There’s only 2 meals in a day after all, since we’re only arriving after breakfast. I might look up where the trucks are congregating. Kogi used to be a favorite. And if there are west side farmers markets on a Thursday, we might walk and ogle. It’s hard to find good citrus and persimmons up here. I dream of Oro Blanco grapefruit still.

I like how you think.

Hide still here. Still all cash. Nice folks. Sushi not top tier as you know but great move for kids especially and good prices. give me a pile of their shrimp tempura and a cold one and I’m a happy guy.

Little Hong Kong gone

Hurry Curry just came back to life nearby I’m excited to try it again - always my favorite curry spot. 2901 ocean park. the menya tiger place on sawtelle is pretty good tho for curry.

Have fun!

Sometimes you aren’t looking for top tier but rather scratching the old nostalgia itch, you know. Are you saying Hurry Curry is in a new spot? On Ocean Park? If we wander east, I can see the possibility of sandwiches at Joan’s on Third too. So much eye candy there. Or Langers. The kid has never had Langers. We moved away when he was 8 months old. Anyway, it’ll be fun and I’m sure I’ll be sad at all the places we didn’t get to. Lord, I forgot Versailles. Love Versailles. Is it the 7a everyone gets? Anyway, unless we are eating every hour, choices will have to be made.

yes hurry curry just reopened again nearby on ocean park

Home - Hurry Curry of Tokyo | Japanese Curry | Los Angeles CA

Joans on Third, same as it ever was. Still the best chocolate chip cookie in la.

Versailles is a nostalgic one too, come up big for a few bucks … it’s a bit more pricy now…i go for the oxtails there and the fruit shakes. Most folks i know get the garlic chicken/pork…all with the ubiquitous rice beans and plantains.

1 Like

My older son (not coming along on this trip), lived in LA till he was 4, and I am convinced that his lifelong love of everything allium began with the Versailles chicken plate.

1 Like

Well, that and the 4 onion pizza at Abbot Kinney pizza co. This trip down memory lane is killing me.

it’s 5 onions lol, your memory needs a refresher and some mints!

Lol. Bagel crust. Olive pesto sauce instead of tomato. I remember it well enough! The kid is 20 now.

1 Like

Is the Thai temple in North Hollywood still doing it’s wonderful Thai street food bonanza on weekend mornings in the parking lot? We only went twice maybe, but I have good memories. I learned about all these things on Chowhound back in the day.

yes

1 Like

been wanting to check this spot out too. haven’t yet. looks like nighttime besttime tho which prob not best for u

Dollar Hits (dollarhitsstreetfood.com)

1 Like

There are also some reports for Iron Teapot on other food boards like FTC and they sound quite bad

1 Like

I looked their website. I’m sure it fills a niche for some. But between the cat robot delivery of dishes, the rainbow colored xlb, the dedication to vegan food, and the outrageously high prices, it probably isn’t the place I’m looking for having only one shot to do dim sum in LA. If I lived there and had easy access, I’d be happy to give it a whirl, and go back to the SGV for my regular fixes.

2 Likes