Goldthread: We Went to Noodle School and Learned How to Pull Noodles - Eat China (S2E1)

excerpt:

Hand-pulled noodles, or lamian, are a specialty of Lanzhou in northwestern China. People here start the day with spicy bowls of beef noodle soup—and they’re all made to order. We went to a noodle school where people learn how to pull noodles by hand to see how it’s done properly.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Entertaining and illuminating. Thank you for posting this, Zippo.

2 Likes

Wow, that was really very interesting! Even watching from the beginning, and seeing it happen, it still looks like magic to me!

3 Likes

from youtube:

Biang biang noodles are made by slapping dough on a table and ripping it into pieces. The dish is a staple of Xi’an in northwestern China, and the name comes from the sound of dough hitting the table. We went to a traditional biang biang noodle shop to see how it’s made.

3 Likes

These are so well produced and informative. Can’t wait to see more!

1 Like

Wow, that’s true skill creating those noodles! I enjoyed watching this very much, and also can’t wait to see more!

I only watched briefly; I was t to see this series in a big screen. It looks like this is a YouTube channel . Is it available in other ways too? I’m trying g to learn about these new fangled options. :older_woman:t4: <— “older woman” emoji in medium brown .

1 Like

Hi shrinkrajp,

As far as I know the Goldthread noodle series is youtube only. If you click on the lower right of the small screen, you can get a full screen image. If you click on the “youtube” word in the lower right, it will take you to the site of the video on youtube itself and give you more options.

2 Likes

For some reason, these little videos pop up for me on Facebook, so I think they must have a Facebook page that shows the same things. That doesn’t help you, but do you have Smart TV? Do you have the ability to get the Youtube App and play on a TV instead, or a media player like Roku, Fire TV or even a plain old browser that you can use over tv or a streaming device?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it violates Youtube’s TOS (just FYI), but there are innumerable Youtube downloaders out there, and all of these videos are available at 1080p resolution, so if you have some means of playing mp4s on a TV, they should look OK. My currently-preferred downloader is https://www.y2mate.com/en24. Of course if o

(Once things get back to normal-er chez rap of course… I hope that situation continues to improve!)

PS: I forgot to mention that when you click on the (real) download links, this downloader does bring up annoying (totally BS) pop-up pages with “warnings” and “advisories” that various important things on your computer may be out-of-date and you should click on the links to update them… Needless to say, ignore them… And you can immediately close those windows without stopping the video downloads, which themselves are (or always have been for me) perfectly safe…

1 Like

Thank you. On the last of our power, but fwiw, our smart TV’s let us watch YouTube on the Telly.

2 Likes

I have a laptop connected to the TV via an HDMI cable, and use Chrome to watch videos. I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I don’t need to keep getting up to change channels, etc.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

I would much rather have the biang biang noodle dish in the video. Wonder what they would think of/have to say about the America’s Test Kitchen version I watched tonight. Probably laugh their A off. What they made look so easy takes some experience I would think.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes