Gluten-free baking

I have used other flours, but not almond flour. I often use Authentic foods garfava flour in place of chickpea (that’s a garbanzo/fava bean mix, and the taste is milder). I’ve also used other grain flours in there (sorghum, millet, buckwheat, teff). My intuition tells me almond flour would not be a great choice. For one thing, the grind isn’t as fine as the other flours. But you can always try it.

1 Like

I made the Loopy Whisk’s lemon drizzle cake yesterday and it was fantastic! Reported here.

3 Likes

I have another gluten free winner! I made the oat flour cookies I linked above for two of my GF friends yesterday, and they were a hit with everyone - GF and non-GF alike. Everyone commented that you wouldn’t know that they were GF - not gritty, nice and chewy, etc.

I had tiny peanut butter cups and tiny caramel cups to use up so substituted those for the chocolate.
My GF friend loves lemon so I plan to make that lemon drizzle cake soon - thanks!

4 Likes

Today I used KAF’s GF 00 pizza flour and recipe to make ciabatta. The flour contains wheat starch, and is not for anyone allergic to wheat products, but it does pass the standard for gluten-free. I chose the option to add the ½ c. grated parm to the recipe, as a few of the comments cited a blandness without.

I have very little experience baking with GF flour substitutes, and so do not have much with which to compare, but I found the end product to be acceptable. There was no off-putting aspect to the texture, although most of the flavor seemed to come from the parmesan.

DH and I will have these with our soup for dinner (we are not typically GF eaters), and I could see baking these again if the circumstances called for a GF bread.

I bought a few other KAF GF flours to try – specifically the new GF bread flour and their standard M4M. I’m interested in having at least a few, approachable GF skills in my arsenal. Will report back here with any bakes.

3 Likes

Some recent baking successes posted here: no-knead bread with what I think is mock Cup 4 Cup, and an apple cider loaf cake.

1 Like

Haven’t made but looks interesting;

1 Like

These look interesting, thanks!

1 Like