What are you baking? Sept 2023

Sheepishly answers…for DH and me :joy:

6 Likes

My neighbor (the one I cooked for when she was sick) wants me to have her old KitchenAid mixer when she can no longer live in her home. She told me it outlasted two husbands and countless meals/baking. It was a wedding gift (first marriage), based on her age I assume it was manufactured in the early to mid 60’s. I told her it will have a place on my counter next to my present day KitchenAid mixer.
Personally, I really like my KitchenAid mixer… it is just a work horse that keeps on going and going. I have the red tilt head model and it is perfect for all of my cooking and baking needs.

3 Likes

Having two older-model mixers would be a great privilege.

3 Likes

Mine (red one - pictured) isn’t that old. I suffered through hand held mixers for many years, until Sunshine purchased my current one as a Christmas gift about 5-6 years ago.

1 Like

Went to the neighbors’ to bake a couple of things. Matcha amaretti are based off the recipe from Jesse Szewczyk, but I didn’t have almond meal and did have almond paste I had made and frozen. I came up with what I thought would be a similar formula and it worked really well. The cookies baked up great. They are on the sweet side even though I added minimal sugar since my almond paste contained most of the sugar needed. I know macaroons made with almond paste always contain additional sugar, but I think these would have been fine with no more added.

I also made shio pan, which are Japanese salt butter rolls that are also very popular in Taiwan. I made a recipe with pate fermentee and used old starter instead. These taste amazing even before you get to the buttery center. I used salted Lurpak to fill them since it’s good to have a really tasty butter for this.

15 Likes

Yesterday I baked a loaf of gluten-free no-knead peasant bread, from Bread Toast Crumbs, using the specified mix of flours (white rice, brown rice, tapioca) and starches (corn, potato), milk powder, and xanthan gum. I’d tried this before with KAF Measure for Measure and didn’t like it, so thought the DIY blend might be better. It’s definitely tastier, almost like a brioche (not surprising given the egg in the mix), but it’s short. I may fiddle around with adding some psyllium husk which is in all the other GF bread recipes I’ve tried to see if that helps the structure.
(She has the basic recipe online but the flour blend is in the book; it seems like mock Cup 4 Cup.)

And today I tried baking from an idea rather than a recipe! A few months ago I made this lemon drizzle cake using GF flour and almond flour, and a reverse creaming method. Now that fall is here, I’ve been wanting apple cider donuts. I swapped a mixture of apple cider and a touch of apple cider vinegar for the lemon juice, and added cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice instead of the lemon zest. I forgot/didn’t want to wait to glaze it, so the apple cider flavor is subtle, but it’s damn good.

And now that I’ve uploaded the photos, I can see that they look very similar! :joy: the first is the bread, the second is cake.

13 Likes

LOL - all my Bundt loaves look like each other, too, And the 8x8 cakes/bars/crumbles . There’s only so much a camera can capture with identical pan shapes. Congrats on the gf baking successes.

3 Likes

Greater Toronto Area bakers might be interested in this sale of baking supplies by some of TO’s better bakeries.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxqEAwNL6kH/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

2 Likes

A 7” apple pie, overstuffed with two giant Honeycrisp apples. For the binder: flour, sugar, spices, salt. For the kicker: Calvados, boiled cider, unfiltered cider vinegar, butter.

16 Likes

Made some sesame seed hero rolls for sandwiches. Some cold cuts, homemade giardiniera, roasted pepper and harissa mayo, lettuce, shaved onions, herb vinaigrette, mozzarella since I had some.

14 Likes

Aging the dough in fridge didn’t help with fragility.

1 Like

I made the raspberry chocolate chunk cookies from Cookies: The New Classics and I hate them :joy:.
Now to be fair the baking conditions weren’t ideal, as I was making this in an oven where gauging proper temperature wasn’t too easy, but the issue is the dough itself. It calls for A LOT of freeze dried raspberries and I actually paused while weighing it because they amount seemed so insane. The dough was VERY tangy and the finished cookies are to me unpleasantly sour. I think strawberries would work better here for that amount because they’re sweeter. I was hoping for a mostly sweet cookie with a bit of tang from raspberries, not a sour cookie where the chocolate ends up tasting bitter due to the base dough itself not being sweet.
I wish I’d gone with the triple berry sugar cookies. Kinda hate having wasted so much freeze dried raspberry given the price.

9 Likes

Those freeze dried raspberries are expensive, too!

1 Like

pretty sure i asked this before, but: where did you get the 7" pie pan? All i can find are options on amazon that require me to buy two.

I inherited two of them. I thought they were junk until I wanted a 7" pie pan. Now they’re my most used. They fit exactly half of a typical filling and/or crust recipe.

On the bottom there are markings.

Magic Line
(Genie lamp - image)
Gardena, CA 90248
MADE IN USA

5 Likes

Apple Cider Doughnut Bundt Cake from Serious Eats.

A few years back I tried a number of cider doughnut recipes – cakes, donuts, muffins – and this was by far my favorite. Just the right balance of flavors, nice texture, and the cake holds up well.

I have modified the recipe a bit. Instead of making a reduction from chopped apples and apple cider, I use a ½-pint jar of homemade applesauce, topping off the volume with enough boiled cider (1-2 T. usually) to reach the 1 c. requirement. If my applesauce is chunky (it usually is) I run the apple mixture through a mini-food chopper to smooth things out. I use 25% white whole wheat, sub cinnamon for the mace, and add a tablespoon of Calvados with the vanilla.

Here baked in a Nordicware Anniversary bundt pan.

15 Likes

I found 7” “cake pans” in aluminum by that maker - are the pans you have obviously pie tins ? Or just fine that pie can be made in ?

Pie tins, with sloped sides. These came from either my mother or my aunt, both of whom would have been in their late 90’s by now. Given their penchant for hanging on to stuff, it wouldn’t surprise me if these dated back to the 60’s.

3 Likes

I see Fox Run makes a 7" pan. Here’s one on ebay (Amazon has them, too):

2 Likes

I’ll have to try this one - I’ve made a couple iterations as well and didn’t love any of them so far.