Gluten-free baking

As I’ve mentioned, I’m not gluten free.

However, I’m a big fan of chestnuts. Whenever I Google recipes that call for chestnut flour, most of them are gluten free.

I recommend that you buy an Italian brand.

As chestnut flour goes rancid easily, it should be stored in the freezer.

1 Like

Alton Brown’s cornbread is gluten free and is my favorite cornbread.

I don’t like cornbread to be soft and/or sweet. I like it to be a little gritty and have no sugar, not even a teeny bit.

If your taste in cornbread lines up with mine, you will really like this recipe.

2 Likes

Ha… my tastes align with yours, but I live in a household of Jiffy cornbread lovers. Maybe we need separate cornbreads from now on? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I get you. I’ve been working on training my husband’s tastebuds for thirty-four years.

He still prefers soft cookies. Crunchy cookies, my preference, taste stale to him.

He likes soft, sweet cornbread. I like gritty, savory cornbread.

He dislikes dislikes bitter food. I love bitter food. I’m even a fan of bitter melon.

1 Like

Pizza tonight! I bought some Caputo GF flour - it’s a blend of corn, buckwheat, and rice flours, with wheat starch added. I used this blogger’s recipe but left the crusts on parchment for the whole baking time. The verdict: 4 stars, definitely worth making again.

The first photo is the parbaked crust (slightly crazy looking), second is half of a plain cheese pizza.

7 Likes

Wow, very comprehensive. I’m sending a copy of this comment to my daughter. Thank you. Wish I could give extra “fork-n-knives-up” to you.

1 Like

if you are on Instagram, I follow @theloopywhisk , Katarina Cermelj…I havent tried her recipes yet, but they look amazing. My housemate is g/f so I have been trying to add some recipes to my baking. I did make Nigella’s clementine cake, and it was really good…https://www.nigella.com/recipes/clementine-cake and chocolate almond cookis were a hit…https://thealmondeater.com/almond-flour-chocolate-cookies/

2 Likes

I made the no-knead peasant bread from Bread Toast Crumbs today - same recipe as on her website. It looked great, and tasted pretty good - might need more salt? I used KAF Measure for Measure, because that’s what I had, and I think I might not like that flour blend - something in it feels kind of grainy. Fortunately, I have a bunch of other supplies in various states of shipping to my house, so I’ll be able to experiment more.

We also made KAF’s yellow cake over the weekend (as the base for a Boston cream pie). Also too grainy and it didn’t rise enough. Not a keeper.

2 Likes

That graininess is the rice flour. I never cared for it as a sub in most bread or cookie recipes. OTOH, it might make a nice shortbread.

2 Likes

I think it’s the sorghum. The GF cake flour blend I use is mostly rice and not gritty.

3 Likes

One of my favorite cake recipes happens to be gluten free: https://www.recipetineats.com/flourless-orange-cake/

4 Likes

@MelMM mentioned that she favors Authentic Foods in part because their rice flour is ground much finer than other brands’, so it could be the culprit in blends from other sources.

3 Likes

Agree it’s the rice flour (same awful grittiness in commercial products like Tate’s GF cookies).

@truman in some applications you can hydrate with hot water to get rid of that, in others use warm and let the mixture sit a bit longer.

For bread I used my own flour blend and never encountered grittiness / graininess. It used a mix of a few including brown rice flour, sorghum, tapioca starch and cornstarch (plus psyllium husk powder).

I also like the AB5 gf boule recipe in addition to Alexandra’s and loopy whisk. Preferred egg versions for sandwich bread, no egg for boules / artisan loaves.

(Fwiw re brands of flour, because most of my GF baking was during the pandemic, I used whatever was available at local stores or on Amazon — Bob’s, Arrowhead, Anthony’s, etc — and never ran into the grittiness issue, which I could pick up on immediately in commercial baked goods. If you can get Cup4Cup, it made really good bagels — though so did the homemade flour blend. KAF kits were pretty good for brownies and muffins.)

4 Likes
2 Likes

Oooh, an excuse to make shortbread! :joy:

1 Like

Thanks (to all y’all). I really want to like the M4M because it would be easier, but it’s not worth it to keep being disappointed. I’ve got some individual flours and starches to play around with, and a working shopping cart on the Authentic Foods website!

1 Like

I don’t have experience with gluten free baking, but I’ve read positive reviews of Bob’s Red Mill gluten free products.

I have as well, and I like their muesli, but that horrible pizza crust mix has made me a bit skeptical.

1 Like

@MelMM have you ever made your pizza dough with something other than the garbanzo flour? I don’t mind chickpeas but I have almond flour, and I’m wondering if that switch might work since both almonds and chickpeas are high protein.

More bread… this was from the Loopy Whisk, https://theloopywhisk.com/2020/04/02/ultimate-gluten-free-bread/ , made with buckwheat, brown rice, and tapioca flours and ground psyllium husk. I did not love the technique (two separate rises) but it has a really nice texture and feel, and the taste is reminiscent of pumpernickel. (The buckwheat flour I’ve been using from Arrowhead Mills is apparently dark not light.) It made a tasty grilled cheese sandwich today - I think that might be my standard test for GF breads!

On the sweeter side, I’ve got crisp topping in the fridge and cleaned blueberries/rhubarb for the filling for the bluebarb pie from Midwest Made. I also remembered that the peanut butter cookie recipe in that cookbook happens to be GF, so there might be a batch of cookies in my future.

5 Likes