Gleaning

Someone in my Master Gardener program put out the word she had a surplus of huge Meyer lemons on her 30 year old tree.

Hundreds probably, big, juicy, and aromatic. Soon to go to waste.

Reminded me of this.

This is our local place.

https://foodisfreesolano.org/gleaning

12 Likes

Starting to wonder if these are indeed Myers.

They sure have 5hat Meyer aroma! Haven’t cut one open yet.

1 Like

They look like Myers, with the smoother thinner skin. A handful of neighbors on my block have old Myer Lemon tres in their backyards that were planted ages ago and are really prolific so I have a steady supply. But when I’ve tried to get a Meyer to grow in my back yard it has failed miserably.

1 Like

I have a Meyers lemon, and mine look just exactly like those. What a score for you!

1 Like

It is! I have two “trees” of my own but they are pitiful; barely qualify as bushes, with average fruit smaller than a child’s palm. Some of these fruit are the size of Navel oranges!

1 Like

Why don’t I have neighbors like that? :sob:

3 Likes

My next move will be a fruit trees neighbour! :yum: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes
1 Like

Happy to report our favorite clamming spot, after being closed for two season due to toxins, has reopened. Yay! I suspect the cold spring we’ve had has kept the water temperature down and things safe for consuming.

It was not easy pickings today (they were down deep), but we dug our limit, resulting in just over 1 1/2 lbs. of cleaned butter clam meat frozen in its own liquor.

10 Likes

So did ours. In fact two failed to mature into substantial trees. Husband moved the last one to a sunnier spot and it took off. Now maybe 10 feet by 6 feet and a prolific bearer. Have faith, and maybe change its environment.

1 Like

There’s always homemade limoncello …

1 Like

Yes! And more here!

1 Like

There will be a jam session this afternoon.

8 Likes

Beautiful.

1 Like

Awesome! Are those blackberries?

Hope it’s okay that I am sharing on food gardening and jam making threads.

Yes - please share! Sorry if I posted to the wrong gleaning thread.

They are indeed blackberries. Last year we didn’t get any - none of our regular patches bore ripe berries, and why is a mystery to me. This year is not looking like a great year for picking - damp and cold means a lot of moldy berries to avoid - but it’s certainly better than nothing. I hope to go out again later this week, and pick a batch for making boozy brews for Christmas.

2 Likes

I lived in the Portland, OR area from 2007 to 2009 and LOVED walking along various trails in the area and finding blackberries growing wild and available for free picking. The brambles are an invasive species that officials are trying to get removed. Said brambles are very thorny and picking the berries wasn’t too easy, but those berries were VERY yummy!

3 Likes

We had them growing nearby when I was a kid. A patch by a stream right up against new suburbia. My mom would go pick them.

2 Likes

No “wrong” thread, I just don’t think this one is as frequented when it comes to stuff in your own garden, or cooking from it.

I pass what I think are blackberry brambles on a bike path I frequent, but I have rarely gotten close enough to an actual berry to try one. I suspect that although they are growing on a stream bed, the stream is dry in the summer and the plants are too hot and dry.

There’s a fig tree on the same path, and the figs seem fine. They may get some water from a nearby home.

1 Like