Giant Zucchini Uses?

I know what you’re thinking you sickie, but zucchini makes a horrible dog toy!

I use oxo’s julienne peeler to make zoodles.

1 Like

Ugh. It’s for my CAT. Duh!

1 Like

Though zucchini chunks are a healthy dog treat if your pup likes the stuff. Our dog sticks to me like Velcro every time I chop zucchini. She wants her zucchini chunks!

2 Likes

I agree with all the folks upthread that indicated a really large zuke won’t taste as good, and perhaps the texture will also be sub-par, compared to a normal size. So the best uses would be ones where neither the texture (baked goods, fritters) nor the flavor (relish) is the highlight.

I shred and freeze in ziplocks, flat. Once thawed they can be used for sweet or savory prep, and they effectively drain themselves as the freezing bursts the cells that hold liquid.

1 Like

Your meatballs on wfd looked delish. What was your recipe, if you don’t mind? And was it dark or light meat?

Thanks - they were delicious! :yum:

I used ground chicken thighs. Here’s the recipe - I don’t recall the source, and it’s possible I made it up. If I hadn’t been serving it with the basil pesto, I would have been tempted to add basil to the meat mixture.

1 lb. ground chicken thighs
5 oz. grated zucchini, which has been wrung dry (weighed after wringing)
1/2 large shallot, finely chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper

Mix in advance. Chill. Roll into 8-10 meatballs. Roast on a greased roasting rack at 425 for 25 minutes, then hit with the broiler for a minute or two for browning.

3 Likes

Once the garden starts producing, I’m going to try this with some adjustments. Probably white meat and maybe not the cumin. But sounds tasty and looked beautiful.

2 Likes

My pooch (RIP) was a zucchini hound, too. Pretty much anything that hit the floor, save for tofu, was inhaled with brevity.

1 Like

Of course! My mind leans canine at times.

Courgette Sabzi by Asma Khan

I’d peel and de-seed it before making the sabzi, but otherwise, this would work.

1 Like

Also - https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jul/29/summer-courgette-recipes-dolma-kofta-moussaka-aleksandar-taralezhkov

1 Like