Getting to know you...calling all NY/CT/LI folks!

I wrote something like this around10 years ago and have it in my files. I was going to add in the past decade and post it, but I realized it is already four single space pages… Not sure if anyone would be interested in reading it.

2 Likes

The festival is a family friendly event and all the food is homemade! festival menu 2017.pdf (39.9 KB)

5 Likes

This sounds wonderful, and it’s right in my backyard! Hopefully we’ll have time to stop by next weekend!

If you do, ask for me, I’d love to meet you. I’m the only Ukrainian Tracey, lol. I’m usually by the kitchen or AV tent.

Tracey, I just wanted to check in and see how the festival went! We were actually planning to stop by on Saturday, after we finished errands - but of course we finished just as the rain let loose! We did drive by, though - I was astonished at the size of everything! Ferris wheels, carnival rides - you guys really go all out! It looked like you also had a pretty good turnout despite the rain, although everyone was crowded under the eaves when we went by. Anyway, we will hope for better weather next year and a chance to try some pierogies!

1 Like

Thanks festival went great despite the rain. We sold out of most of our food, which is always our goal. We ended up making 13,290 perogies, 75 gallons of borsht & 1,967 stuffed cabbage. We also had kobasa, hickory smoked & Kyiv style chicken. I have like 450 pictures on our facebook page: www.facebook.com/YonkersUkrainianFestival

2 Likes

I’m tagging some people here who haven’t been tagged before-- we would love to keep this thread up-to-date as our board grows!

@liza2199 @pbhat23 @Jhopp217 @bob_g @nyexplorer @zackly

1 Like

Westchester County Restaurant, originally from Rockland County. I love cooking, and eating out. I hate fast food! I love all types of food, though I think the BBQ popularity lately has been a little crazy. I slow cook, pressure cook, Grill, bake, make my own sushi, sausage; the list goes on. I am eastern european backround, so I love things like Goulash, Burek, Cevapi, Pirogi, Piroshki, Baklava etc. My husband is Jewish and is a trained pastry chef. I love making road trips arounf the tri-state to find ethnic foods, meats, and dishes. I laso love areas like Queens and Paterson/Clifton NJ for their ethnic diversity.
Recently tried The Birch Collective in White Plains last week for happy hour and enjoyed it! I couldn’t believe Iliked a tater tot dish!
Hope this helps! Cheers!:soccer::grinning:

3 Likes

Welcome and thanks for posting! Do you have any places for Eastern European food in the area to recommend?

Welcome!!!

I love eating everything you mentioned…we’ll have to trade recipes! I am mostly Ukrainian, along with a bit of Italian and Welsh. Welcome to the boards.

For eastern European food, though not quite “in the area”, there is the Goulash Place in Danbury. Been there twice. Consists of a few tables in an older private home of the owner/chef. Apparently he ran the restaurant for many years with his wife until she passed away. Now is runs it alone. Typical Hungarian food such as stuffed cabbage, several types of goulash, chicken paprikas, soups, crepes for dessert. I thought the food was good, but not as good as I remember from my childhood, cooked by my Hungarian side of the family. But then those childhood memories are usually more glorified than they really were.

1 Like

I went there last Spring and the food was horrible. I am 25% Hungarian and found the food to be at the extreme end of boringly unacceptable, also many items were microwaved and were stale, hot outside, cold inside.

Thanks! My husband is part Polish and loves Polish food and some of the things you mentioned made me realize that I don’t know of any Polish restaurants in the area. Hmm!

I’ve lived in Westchester for a long time.
However, I haven’t been able to branch out into discovering food until about two years ago.

My daughter and I figure out things based upon her knowledge and curiosity.
I’m ethnically Indian, particularly from Himachal Pradesh (a state in India that is not too far from the Himalayas).

I’m an avid spice lover. Recently, my daughter got into Thai cooking and we have been making fantastic thai curries (let me know if you want some :slight_smile:)

I’ve found the best quality of food to be in Queens. Authentic Indian food is very hard to find in NYC, but honestly, when you know Indian food to the core, you know what restaurants lack.
I love Rajma (kidney beans in masala), madras coffee, mirch ka salan, falooda, and Chettinad aloo biryani (just to name a few). I’m also vegetarian and love to use a wide variety of lentils.

For me, excellence with passion is the ultimate way to reach a food coma.

If you want to know anything else, shoot your questions. So far this is all I can think of.

3 Likes

OK, I’ll go. Born and raised on Long Island, later moved to NYC, now living in Westchester for the past 15 years. Love to find great cheap restaurants. Big fan of taco trucks and other street food. Depressed about the lack of good Thai, Korean and Indian restaurants in Westchester. I’ve organized food crawls for my family in Chinatown – both Queens and Manhattan – heavy on dumplings, hand pulled noodles and pork buns. I’ll try to post them here if people are interested. Generally avoid fast food but one day took my kids on a fast food marathon - we hit up every fast food restaurant in town and rated each one (Taco Bell surprisingly good; White Castle and KFC stunningly awful). We did another marathon for fast food breakfast. I also love to cook at home but don’t like baking. Big fan of Kenji at Serious Eats, and Dan Pashman’s podcast. I dry age my own steak, which means I’m usually disappointed when eating at steakhouses. Always trying to sous vide something new. Last week I smoked a whole beef tenderloin in a coffee and chile rub on my Big Green Egg. I love pie but not a fan of cake. I can spend hours wandering through supermarkets.

4 Likes

Welcome!!!

Welcome to HO!!

@pbhat23 I’ve recently gotten into Thai cooking too. I love the flavors. What’s your favorite Thai place in Westchester?