Getting to know you...calling all NY/CT/LI folks!

I think one or two of them just got here. I think you, along with @stonesoup, @coll, and @Gastronomos, might as well gather more used-to-be-active folks from LI first. I am not sure who else from LI is here.

Sorry Iā€™ve been MIA, we were out in San Diego visiting my sister the last two weeks and the laptop punked out on me. As soon as I get my head together, Iā€™ll write up a full biographyā€¦mainly I grew up in the Bronx and Levittown, moved around Long Island but finally ended up out here on the North Fork about 15 years ago. Got into the food business in the 1980s, while getting a Bachelors Degree in Hotel/Restaurant Management but eventually ended up in food sales, worked on the South Fork for 20 years and loved every minute of it, until I had to retire early due to hubbyā€™s health issues six years ago.

I think everyone I know on Chowhound who lives here on Long Island are all present and accounted for though.

3 Likes

We are missing breakfast guy ScottR (I made a recent attempt to recruit), Stuart La Fonda (is he here maybe), some folks who left CH before we did, like motoeric, StrongIsland, that clambelly guyā€¦

1 Like

Oh Scott R, where are you (I donā€™t think heā€™s on CH either lately?)

Heā€™s been posting recently on other subjects other than Long Islandā€¦

Good to know! I heard he had some bad luck with Hurricane Sandy, hope thatā€™s finally resolved.

And why not chicken?

Now no one would leave chicken out on the counter all day to defrost because of the danger of food poisoning. They always say to safely defrost it in the fridge.

70% of U.S. factory farmed chickens are infected with salmonella, campylobacter or both.

Even if bacteria were not a problem, leaving meat out at room temp causes enormous increases in bioegenic amine growth, a non bacterial cause of food poisoning. Rinsing the surface of all pieces of raw meat removes a lot of them, but I defrost in a big bowl or sink of cold water or in the fridge for safety.

Never say no one. I like to live dangerously. :sunglasses:

1 Like

California chickens donā€™t. Itā€™s a huge fight legally to label chicken or eggs by state of origin, or for a state to have more stringent rules regarding raising meat animals, because of the commerce clause. Iowa can sell diseased animals, then cries foul when California refuses to accept them. Donā€™t get me started. :slight_smile:

Okay, I landed in NYC at the age of five. I went to kindergarten and learned about Thanksgiving, even though I didnā€™t speak a work of English.

We moved to Rochester and survived a giant blizzard that pretty much buried our house. It was awesome.

After a few years of moving around, we settled in Los Angeles. When I was a teenager, I was friends with music people, and would spend my summers in Spanish Harlem and Long Island. I ate a lot of new food.

Foods I loved: Russian coffee shops (cabbage soup and stuffed cabbage), eggplant parmigiana, bodega egg sandwiches, Korean fruit stands, Chinese big, giant fat fried egg rolls, and shrimp cocktail. Long Island was roadside vegetable stands (corn, tomatoes, omg, the tomatoes!), and shellfish.

Can you tell I was a hungover, hungry little teenager having the time of my life? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This sounds familiar. I remember one year we had a fire drill in the dorm, in the middle of the night on Motherā€™s Day. We all walked out in our pajamas and flip flops to find 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground.

You and me both, YUM!

Itā€™s so funny that East Coast and West Coast both have oysters, clams, Chinese food, tomatoes, and lots of other foods in common, but somehow, they are different.

In a good way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We have some new members so letā€™s revive this thread!

I realized I never posted on this thread so hereā€™s a little about meā€¦

I am a lifelong Westchester resident, minus a stint in upstate NY for college and half a year in London which fueled my love for travel. Iā€™ve always been into food-- my mom says that as a kid I would have been happy with a full restaurant menu to choose from every night. I didnā€™t really become what Iā€™d call food-obsessed until a little over ten years ago when I moved in with my then-boyfriend, now-husband and read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan and began cooking in my own kitchen. Thatā€™s when I discovered the value our farmersā€™ markets here in Westchester where we can get amazing local products and meat from the source. Over the years Iā€™ve become a fairly capable home cook, aside from the time I had a very unfortunate run-in with a mandolin (follow the directions and USE THE GUARD!). Although I like trying new recipes, my favorite dish to make is my grandmotherā€™s meatball recipe. Iā€™m also probably the messiest cook that I know.

Iā€™m notorious among friends for planning food crawls in NYC and for my homemade desserts. My husband and I love traveling and discovering local specialties wherever we end up. Locations both near and far spark my curiosity, though I do have a particular affinity for the multitude of regional cuisines in France. Iā€™m currently fixated on our new garden and excited for the bounty of lettuce and other vegetables weā€™ll hopefully be harvesting in the near future! Finally, I love reading, writing, and reading and writing about food. :slight_smile:

Tag, youā€™re it to our other membersā€¦
@MisterBill @Homestyleturkey @Foodygrandma @spa @chowdom @richb51 @Foodygrandma @JMF @gutreactions @JCmods @914Foodie @valerie @nyexplorer @Westjanie @thefoodmaverick @SprusselBrouts @Haileysam @ADR @discounteggroll @Louuuuu @debmom @traceyk @N_S @Emma_Straub

2 Likes

Iā€™m Tracey K and born & raised in Yonkers, NY. Iā€™m of Ukrainian & Welsh/Italian decent. I worked as a travel agent in my previous life (BC Before Children) and got to travel a bit. I would like to continue my journey eating my way through Europe. We are planning a trip next summer to Germany, Poland & Ukraine. I usually plan my trips around places I want to eat, lol.
I am a pretty good home cook/baker, Iā€™m always experimenting with new ingredients/recipes on family and friends. DH & I love to venture out to eat and try something weā€™ve never had before.
I also planted a garden and canā€™t wait for all the fresh tomatoes & cucumbers. Weā€™ll have to trade some!
I run the Yonkers Ukrainian Heritage Festival, so you wonā€™t hear from me for the next week or so. This Wednesday we make 14,000 perogies from scratch, so Iā€™m quite busy, lol!

4 Likes

Welcome traceyk! Iā€™m originally from Yonkers too!!

Welcome Tracey! Please post the details for the festival - it sounds like a great time! We moved to Yonkers last August and are still learning about all the fun stuff that goes on here!