Getting to know you...calling all NY/CT/LI folks!

@nyexplorer Haha I’m the same way with supermarkets! That’s one of my favorite parts of visiting new countries. I could be happily entertained in a supermarket for a long time!

1 Like

I also love them- especially I other areas of the country. I even love my weekly shopping. Actually, I am pretty much in one every day!! And each has something else I like or don’t like.

The Goulash Place is Hungarian, not Polish. And it really is mediocre.

Our friends took us to a place in Danbury that served Portuguese food, either a community center or cultural center and the food was good, there are several of these types of places in Danbury serving , Portuguese, Polish, Hungarian food … some of the food is pretty good.

Welcome! I have had similar conversation with coworkers of Indian descent about what Indian restaurants lack. But I am curious, from your perspective, what do they lack?

So true! Up until a year ago, I lived in Queens, just a couple of subway stops from Jackson Heights. However, after I started reading Indian cookbooks, learning about regional cuisines and doing a lot of Indian cooking at home, even the best restaurants in Queens lost some of their allure. There is just SO much more to Indian cuisine than what most restaurants, even good ones, can sell to a (primarily) American audience.

What places in Danbury do you recommend? I have a friend up there and we go out to eat, usually late lunch, quite often.

Yes, I got that, I went off on a bit of a tangent with the Polish food. I actually thought goulash was Polish but after googling it seems like it was borrowed from Hungary. Interesting.

Sorry, I should have written “was”, not “is”. It has been a several years and I was speaking in general terms as far as what is available there in comparison to Westchester.

I haven’t found a good Thai restaurant in Westchester. I know there’s D Thai Kitchen in Thornwood, but I’m hesitant to got here. I’m looking forward to trying Ayada and Sripraphai in Queens.

Completely agree. Let me know what new things you’re learning. I recently made mirch ka salan from a recipe online. It was mind blowing.

Some Indian restaurants skimp on quality, while others think the taste according to the Western palate has to be their top priority.

For example, such places where they skimp on quality are royal palace, mughal palace, and a couple others in Westchester. There’s nothing innovative in the menu when they try to bring the home-grown taste Indians love. Spice village in Tuckahoe is much more decent, however, they add honey to everything as the Western palate is considered non-spicy.

There needs to be more variety when it comes to lentils, beverages, and dishes. One example is how I haven’t heard of any place that serves kashmiri chai except in one place in Manhattan. That is saddening, considering that kashmiri chai is a delicacy.

Restaurants don’t need to glorify Naan and curries. There’s more to Indian food.

2 Likes

@pbhat23 D Thai is the place I go to when I’m craving Thai in Westchester. I feel like it isn’t even as good as an ordinary neighborhood Thai spot in the city but it will satisfy a Thai craving for me. I’ve really been enjoying cooking Thai food at home because I think, similar to your complaint about Indian food, some nuance of flavor is lost when restaurants cook for typical American palates, and I can control that when I’m cooking. I’ve never been to Thailand but it’s definitely my bucket list!

I love checking out grocery stores in different areas, too! It’s a favorite pastime for my husband and I!. We also like to take road trips to check out different delis, smokehouses, ethnic grocers! Recently visited Muncan foods in Queens, and Karl ehmer in Hillsdale, NJ.

Best Thai food in NYC by far. You will love it!

1 Like

Haven’t been yet to Karl Ehmer’s in Hillsdale but heard about the stand outside the shop selling hot dogs and sausage. What did you get when you were there. Is it worth the trip from Westchester? I do plan on going to Montvale to the new Wegmans, so I don’t mind the drive as long as it is worth it.

Welcome ny! Dude - I’m with you on the street food, trucks & ethnic eats and the long stretches at supermarkets. Stick me in H-Mart and I can kill 2 hours at least!

Qeema is in our regular rotation - I made it last night, in fact. One of my favorite dishes, and so adaptable to whatever vegetables you have lying around. I love anything with methi leaves, so I’m always on the lookout for great new recipes that use them. I often sub methi for half of the spinach when making palak paneer - so delicious. I like spice, too, so I tend to gravitate to southern Indian recipes (and Maharashtrian food as well - spice and coconut, yes please!).

1 Like

I love it there. They aslo carry this Country Ukrainian/Russian dark bread that I LOVED growning up as a kid. If anyone remembers the butcher at Tice Farms. They carry many sausages, bolognas, liverwurst ( I Love). They carry many German/European products, too. Like Dusseldorf mustard, honeys, cookies. I love the holdays there since they carry fun candies/marzipan in all shapes/sizes for kids (and adults). They also have specialy meats. I love their vibe, too. Very neighborhood/family orientated. I haven’t been their since July,so now you got me thinking about visiting this week! Mind you the store is tiny. But for me it’s worth the trip. I can’t wait for the Wegmans to open up, too! It’s also on my list!

Thanks, good to know. BTW, I am not local to your area but in thw West Coast where there is also a significant Indian expat population. My Indian coworker attributes the difference primarily to inferior spices and difference produces. Spices that just don’t smell and taste the same as those in India, because of inferior stuff being exported and transportation time. And different taste of meat, and vegetables, etc.

Kashmiri chai- you referring to the kahwa?