“ George, Toronto “ - First ‘Apres-Michelin announcement‘ dinner at this Toronto gastronomic icon……..the result?.....another delightful and pleasurable dining outcome. ( Long review )

Before proceeding with my review, based on tonight’s memorable and enjoyable experience, I would just like to comment on the couple of 1 and 2 stars out 5 rating which I came across in recent food-blog reviews that prompted me to say … “ WTF made those reviewers post such ridiculous BS?! Guess they must be eating under the influence of local anesthetic that had not worn off, after seeing their dentist?! “😵‍💫

Back to the meal!

Prior to Alo’s arrival at the Toronto food scene, for the past two decades, George and (ex) -Splendido had been my two most favorite ‘French-themed‘ restaurants in town. Both feature tasting menus with wine pairing and both with gifted students of legendary master-chef Anton Mossiman at the helm……Lorenzo Loseto and David Lee.

After an acclaimed two decades, Chef Loseto - winner of the 2014 ‘ Gold medal plate Canadian Culinary competition ‘, is still heading the kitchen at George. Not only did this gastronomic stalwart manage to beat out and survive the pandemic scare and shutdown, it is currently in full swing and going strong. Its creative and talented chef and kitchen continue to deliver eye-appealing and delectable culinary fare to the tables.

This evening, with the help of GPS and braving smog and haze, not to mention the notorious rush hour, downtown traffic and Queen street construction, we miraculously arrived safely at our venue destination. I, with raised adrenaline levels and my eating-partner driver with sweaty palms!

In the past, for our multi-course tasting menu, my dining partner and I have always been served a separate and different dish during the course of our dinner……a 7+ course meal for two resulting in an array of 14+ different dishes/preparations. That was fun and showcased the skill and creativity of Chef Loseto and his team. However, the approach also created conflict, dilemma and disappointment for us, in that, in a few instances, one of us was served dishes with ingredients that the other person fancied and vice-versa.

Therefore, for tonight’s dinner. to play safe and to avoid disappointment and jealousy, we have requested ahead of time that IDENTICAL dishes of the same course be served to both my partner and myself. This approach also allows us to compare notes of the same dish.

Tonight’s menu approach: We decided to place our gastronomic journey and fate at the hand of Chef Loseto. His multi-faceted, fusion Omakase menu ended up with a superb and imaginative 9 course feast. The dishes include:

Amuse bouche: Stuffed Zucchini Flower Tempura
Appetizers: Tuna Tataki Wrap
White Asparagus with crudo marinated Hamachi
Seafood courses: De-constructed Dungeness Crab Cake
Char-grilled Octopus
Meat course: Wagyu Beef wrapped grilled Romaine Lettuce
Seared Foie Gras with Roasted Squab
Main course: Seared and roasted Venison Rack
Cheese course: Ashley Goat Cheese and Mountain oak cow’s milk Cheese
Dessert course: Alberobello chocolate and salted caramel Gelato
Cherry, Mascarpone, Mango Mousse Cake

Wow! What a surprise and what a meal! The first impression of many dishes were eye-appealingly pretty and busy in a psychedelic way……an edible Joan Miro Painting?! However to our amazement and surprise, the combined ingredients and products somehow yielded a harmonious mouth feel and taste profile!..a reflection of the chef’s skill and understanding of the various components and elements used!

Of all the dishes presented, the perfectly cooked, ‘oh-so-delicious’ Venison dish rose head and shoulder above the rest and really made my evening! Coming in a close second was the Foie Gras and Squab dish. Again, the main components of this dish were perfectly executed. So many honorable dishes worth mentioning, they included the White Asparagus and Hamachi, the smoky Chargrilled Octopus, the deconstructed Crab Cake, the Mascarpone Mango mousse cake……etc. IMHO, a more lenient Michelin inspector would have given George a star?!

Lastly, a special thank you to our friendly, warm, attentive and professional server - ‘Ryan’, who kept us entertained in between dishes, due to a packed house tonight!

8 Likes

George has remained a reliable favourite for us. We’ll have to get back there sometime soon.

1 Like

…reflected by their packed house last night? 2 parties upstairs and full, front-of-house downstairs! And its a weekday!

1 Like

We have celebrated various occasions at George before, so it was a natural choice for my wife’s birthday, which happens to coincide with New Year’s Eve. The interior remains lovely, quiet enough for conversation. Tables are spaced fairly widely. Service is mostly good, though still not at their high pre-pandemic levels. Servers did not always know the full contents of the dishes; specific requests took several reminders. On the other hand, our main server was friendly and informative. The restaurant also provided some nice extra touches for my wife’s birthday (see below).

The set menu was only 5 courses. However, each person gets a different set menu, so if you are willing to share (we always split each dish) then you get 10 courses. Plus you can order an extra course of gnocchi, you can order bread, and there’s an amuse-bouche and a last little treat after. So you get 14 different things to sample. Quality of the food remains high, with each dish an intricate creation of many elements.

They started us off with a small flute each of an unnamed prosecco - apricoty and pleasant.
We had this with the bread basket, which is annoyingly $5 extra and we order it everytime - flatbread, chewy focaccia, sweet butter rolls, and beautiful sourdough, served with green olive oil with a lemon infusion.

The amuse-bouche included chick pea panelle, burrata, pesto rapini, herbs, half cherry, sprouted peas, fennel and lemon salad, yucca strip chips. Lots of fun textures and flavours to start off.

We split a wine pairing and with the first course we had a glass of Sancerre sauvignon blanc, 2023, Bernard Fleuriet et Fils - crsip and fruity (citrus, melon). One first course was hamachi, with shaved cauliflower, black garlic, dashi gel, tiny mushrooms, a cracker, wakame seaweed, and compressed Asian pear. Light and fresh (and unfortunately not photographed). The other was lobster, carrot and mango gazpacho, purple carrots, quinoa, mango and carrot jam, parsley oil, fennel salad, and oatmeal crisps. The lobster was just barely cooked and was supple and sweet, complemented by all the other accompaniments. As it was a special occasion, we added shaved Italian black truffles on both dishes, just for more excess.

Paired with our second course was a glass of 2020 South African chenin blanc and sémillon, Cartology - excellent, clean mineral and fruity. One dish was seared scallops, squash, fennel salad, dill crepe over aged cheddar pastina (tiny pasta) in green sauce, with chard or spinach or something, and blobs of passion fruit and strawberry.

The other dish featured rabbit (dark meat loosely gathered in patty) under mushrooms, with jus, over mascarpone polenta foam, golden beets, with a dusting of sesame or dukka, and little orange quenelle of pickled something.

With our added extra course of gnocchi was paired a glass of Barbaresco (nebbiolo) 2018, Piedmont - very smooth, cherry, and lovely. The ricotta and potato gnocchi were delicate and light, covered in snowfall of Italian white truffle, lemon preserve, tarragon, mushroom, leeks, and a butter sauce.

Our third course was paired with a glass of Domaine Clarendon, 2016, syrah, Australia - cherry, blueberry, and chocolate; with more depth for the red meats. The slightly more wonderful of the two dishes was savoury venison, coated with herbs, with potato tart, cubes of feta, sunchoke, grape and pear salad, pickled onion, vin jus - packed with a wide range of flavours. The beef tenderloin was a bit more classic, but nonetheless excellent, served with citrus hollandaise, rapini, avocado brûlée, mushroom purée, rapini bundle, potato pavé, parsnip chip, vin jus, squash cubes.

For the cheese course, we had a glass of Henriques & Henriques 10-year-old Boal madeira - caramelized brown sugar, gorgeous. One plate had Le Silo cheddar (creamy and sharp), inside a choux au craquelin, mandarin orange, almonds, strawberry apple jam inside, tiny salad with mint oil. The other had Crosswind chèvre inside a cannolo, miso salt in a quenelle with puréed bean, pistachios, pear jam. Both were excellent.

For our dessert course, we had a glass of Lions 2013 Sauternes - fragrant and caramely.
One dish was a green apple tart, with shaved white chocolate, whipped caramel, lemon meringue, mini raisins, and sesame tuile. The other was a chocolate basque cake with caramel crunch on top, saffron honey, pomegranate, apple strawberry jam, vanilla and caramel taffy, coffee gelato, brown sugar tuile, banana cream, and a piece of plum. Both were perfectly light on sweetness and full of many flavours.

Then came a couple of special birthday extras. First were a pair of dark chocolate and custard beignets - these should be regular options. And they gave us a gift bag of chef-made limoncello and two chocolate dipped shortbreads.

We also bought three house gelatos to take home - salted caramel, banana sour cherry, and saffron orange.

Still a special place to go. Deserving of a Michelin star - hope they get one at some point.

5 Likes

Consistently on my Top 5 list for Western Food in the past 2 decades!! Relatively great value when compared with their main competitors! Love the table side visits and chats by Chef Lozetto ( when not too busy ). Nice friendly chap!

The Bison, Venison ( see photo ) or Elk they served during Fall Game Season was superb!!..perfectly cooked and always paired with a super-delicious sauce!

2 Likes