Gazpacho

That should be absolutely fine. It’s maybe a little less nutty and rich than the olorosso. When I make that recipe I actually use Sherry from Trader Joe’s that is a blend.

Definitely strain that recipe and don’t believe anyone who says it isn’t necessary.

2 Likes

Or at least don’t believe anyone who says it doesn’t make a difference. Yes; even if you have a Vitamix.

1 Like

I’ll probably try freezing some, although I usually roast them before I freeze them. I seem to recall @bogman saying something about cooking and enzymatic activity, and in general, I find more uses for cooked tomatoes.

ETA Here it is;

Today’s gazpacho. I didn’t like it at first; two sharp and salty. I pureed about 4 more tomatoes and 1/3 perfectly ripe mango, strained, blended with more olive oil, and problem solved!

4 Likes

Is gazpacho just a savory smoothie?

Or is a smoothie just a sweet gazpacho?

I don’t believe I’ve seen this one before!

4 Likes

Wow, sounds great! I imagine it would love some Cold Crabmeat or Shrimp as a Garnish!
Or perhaps some sort Seafood Quenelles.
It reminds me of Bún Riêu a bit.

1 Like

Not mine! I leave small chunks of cucumber and sweet pepper for crunch. And, dropping some broken corn tortilla chips on top isn’t out of the question. I don’t like the bread-blended type. Maybe it’s not “real” gazpacho, but it’s mighty good.

1 Like

3 Tbsp. fish sauce for 2 lbs. tomatoes seems like a lot. :fish:

2 Likes

I also thought 3 tbsp fish sauce was a lot. I couldn’t read the reviews of the recipe because I don’t want to pay!

1 Like

@ChristinaM , thanks for the heads up!

@madrid, I actually have a digital subscription via Kindle, and can’t see reviews either! Maybe it’s only on Epicurious.

The subscription is up this month, and Kindle won’t be doing them anymore, so I’m considering my options. I find myself looking Bon Appétit stuff as often as not. I might try my library first.

Looks about right to me.
Especially since it is a cold Soup. When I make Bún Riêu (which has 2#of Tomatoes) or Bún Bò Huế for 4 Servings it is 2-3 Tbls and they are served hot. And have other salty Components.
But what the right level of Salt is is very dependent on how salty you typically eat Things. If one is concerned that it will be too salty, just hold back on the Fish Sauce and add to taste at the end.

2 Likes

True, hadn’t considered the temperature. I guess it partly depends on whether the folks you’re serving are accustomed to fish sauce versus sensitive.

Our peppers finally came in, meaning we are getting our first taste of gazpacho this year. I’m a fan of the (strained) NYT version, although will add a serrano pepper or two for kicks if I have them.

I got a new Wolf blender this year! Our old Kitchen Aid struggled, and didn’t do a very good job of it. Straining the gazpacho was always a chore which gave me hand cramps. The Wolf is a beast, and I was able to strain 2 quarts in about 5 minutes, with very little effort.

3 Likes

This sounds sooo good!

2 Likes

A Chinois
is a very good friend to have in the Kitchen!

Very reasonably priced at any Restaurant Supply.
Also great for Stocks, Seedless Jams, Custards etc… A 2oz Ladle is great for pressing Solids through if desired.

4 Likes

I’m going to try this Serious Eats freeze-thaw recipe , only I’m going to leave it frozen until the batch of gazpacho I made yesterday is gone. I’m thinking it will be frozen for two days.

It’s been 100+f for a few weeks so there are not many tomatoes on the horizon.

1 Like