Gazpacho

I will try sieving, CM. You may have opened a new window for us. Who knows?

1 Like

Add a drizzle of good olive oil and a splash of sherry (as in the José Andres recipe I think I posted upthread), and you’ll be in heaven!

3 Likes

Our recipe: peeled ripest tomatoes, peeled cucumber, fire-grilled and peeled green pepper, sweet onion blitzed in blender; ice water, EVOO and La Bodega brand sherry vinegar blended in. Smooth as velvet with some veg body.

3 Likes

Since you are peeling the veg, sieving may not do much. Am guessing you also seed the cucumber? The tomato seeds are a good source of umami,so you wouldn’t want to skip those, but the sieving takes care of the grainy texture.

2 Likes

Andres’ recipe calls for:
Blended and sieved -
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup oloroso sherry
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
3 pounds ripe tomatoes, quartered
1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
2 garlic cloves

Garnish -
1 cup rustic whole-wheat bread, sliced into 1-in. cubes (pan-toasted)
1/4 cup diced English cucumber
6 multicolored cherry tomatoes, quartered

2 Likes

I have to say, it didn’t sit right, but sieveing matters. I also look for no bread options, and try to balance ease and longevity. I will put more time in to prep if it lasts more than a day or two.

I have no cucumbers, so I checked this out.

I do have a “cho cho” (chayote), but that would be a huge stretch.

I really like to garnish my gazpacho with some natto.

1 Like

:neutral_face:

Ours has kept a week in the fridge.

1 Like

I’m a natto novice and I’ve been figuring out ways I can use it. This is definitely intriguing. So, you’re basically using it as an umami element for gazpacho (not my favorite type of soup since I like my soups to be scalding hot, even in steamy hot weather).

I like the idea of adding the olive oil after straining.

1 Like

Yes, precisely.

It provides a nice contrast. A bit of “meaty” flavor and some needed umami to what otherwise can be often a one-note, citrus-y dish, gazpacho.

2 Likes

This is fairly close to what i use in my gazpacho. I don’t really recall if it was in fact a Jose Andres recipe though. The one difference is I like a bit of red onion in mine for a little extra kick, and i think I’m usually close to 3-4 cloves of garlic. I never remove the seeds from my tomatoes before hand, as I’m in the minority where I like a slight bit of chunk (not salsa level) to my gazpacho.

I usually eat plain, but on occasion, I will put a few slim slices of avocado on top.

3 Likes

I use white balsamic in soups that call for vinegar.

2 Likes

I just noticed this in the NYT link.,

“This version has no bread and is a creamy orange-pink rather than a lipstick red. That is because a large quantity of olive oil is required for making delicious gazpacho, rather than take-it-or-leave it gazpacho. The emulsion of red tomato juice, palest green cucumber juice and golden olive oil produces the right color and a smooth, almost fluffy texture”

3 Likes

1 Like

Jeréz de La Frontera Sherry Oloroso is a deep chocolate brown “very sweet dessert wine” …

I think you may mean: “Sherry Fino”, a very classic dry white wine ?

Then there is a 3rd type which is a brandy.

My gazpacho is Red as I use red bell peppers instead of green bells as Red and Green create a burnt orange tone.

One can also add more red tomatoes … I do not use cucumber in my Gazpacho.

I think I used a bit too much olive oil; most of the recipes seem to call for at least 1/2 cup with 2 pounds tomatoes, although usually the oil is added before straining. I added mine after.

Here’s a picture of the Jose Andres recipe ingredients.

Oloroso aged Sherry is extremely sweet and a famous dessert wine.

I cannot imagine in a Gazpacho which is totally savoury.

Unusual !

1 Like