Gazpacho

I love the Serious Eats recipe…the one with pre-salting and freezing. It really works to get very nice, intense vegetable flavors. Previously I’d defaulted to roasting the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and peppers and then chilling to get more intense veg flavor. I will be using this recipe going forward; just made it for the second time yesterday. Thanks to whoever mentioned it here! I do reduce the EVOO by 1/2 - 1/3 and add a bit of smoked hot paprika. This is also one of the few times I pull out the blender rather than using the food processor.

4 Likes

I presalt overnight. Anything that allows for procrastination is on my list of favorites.

1 Like

This would be good if I had the space in my fridge for such a large tray of vegetables!

@Madrid - my two variations from the Serious Eats recipe - I did not freeze it. You think the fridge looks full, wait til you look in the freezers of both my fridges. :smirk: And I skip the bread. I can hear all the gasps of the authentic gazpacho-philes. I just don’t like the bread in my soup; makes it too thick. Straining makes it too thin. I like it just right, a slight small amount of chunkiness to the vegetables.

2 Likes

I can’t fit a tray of vegetables in either my freezer or refrigerator. I salt the veg, leave for an hour or two (recipe says 30 minutes), drain and squeeze, refrigerate the liquid, and put the solids in two quart sized food storage bags. Put them down spread out in the freezer with the solids more or less equally distributed in the bags. It takes far longer than 30 minutes to freeze in my freezer (thermometer shows freezer is at correct temp). Worth the extra step for me, since I’m at home most of the time anyway. I think gazpacho is fine without the bread, but soaking it in the reserved liquid really softens it and keeps it from getting too thick, which I also don’t like.

1 Like

I see. I guess I forgot the part about trays. I guess I forgot a lot of things except the presalt! I use the NYT ingredients ( no bread), presalt overnight in a plastic quart container or two, I don’t freeze, I include the liquid, I seive, pushing down on the solids and scraping off the bottom of the seive to end up with most of the puree, then blend in the olive oil.

Did I never answer this? Sorry! I know they were all Dwarf Tomato Project cultivars, and I grow a lot of the same ones each year. I will make sure to put this years on the food gardening thread.

1 Like

It’s tiiiime! Or almost. I know I’m pushing it.

2 Likes

I have the tiniest nubs of green tomatoes still. Gonna be a while for me!

1 Like

It was probably Dwarf Awesome, Dwarf Sweet Sue, Dwarf Golden Heart, Dwarf Blazing Beauty, and/or Dwarf Perfect Harmony. I am growing Dwarf Perfect Harmony this year, which I like, but none of the others, because I pledged to not buy seeds this year, I recall liking Dwarf Awesome and Blazing Beauty a lot.

My first gazpacho of 2023! Pretty much the NYT recipe, but with Fresno instead of green pepper, a bit of nectarine, and added the olive oil after straining.

12 Likes

Salut!

1 Like

Freezing gazpacho? Whatever I make is usually gone in 2-3 days max.

1 Like

So far each batch, using 2-3 pounds of tomatoes, is lasting about 3 days, but my tomatoes are just getting started, and I’m starting to think about ways of preserving them.

1 Like

I froze several quart jars one year, only to find that during the (refrigerated) thawing process it fermented. Fizzy gazpacho. Since that episode, we make it a priority to consume whatever we make within a 2-3 day period, without freezing.

2 Likes

Awww, shoot. :disappointed:

I know! I thought it a terrific solution….until it wasn’t. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Friends, I’m trying to make the Andres recipe. I don’t know the first thing about sherry. If I have a sherry, but it’s not “oloroso,” does it matter that much? Do sherries taste that different from each other? Mine is labeled as “amontillado.”

Different styles of Sherry do taste quite different and have very different sweetness levels.
In this Application subbing an Amontillado for an Oloroso will be just fine.
Here is a link to a good Explanation of the differences
https://www.spanish-wines.org/sherry-types-of-jerez-sherry.html

3 Likes

What if instead of freezing the Gazpacho you froze the tomatoes?

1 Like