Garlic: Powder vs: Granulated

As someone who years ago trashed the majority of spices in a 36-inch spice drawer (because they were old), I try to cut down on what I buy and store.

I normally keep garlic powder on hand, but several recipes I’ve seen lately ask for granulated garlic. Is this the same as the freeze-dried garlic flakes I have had in the past?

And are they interchangeable? And is granulated garlic ground to a powder in a mortar and pestle the same thing as garlic powder?

granulated garlic isn’t as fine as garlic powder. i just use it if i want to boost whatever i’m putting garlic in, or in most meat rubs. Garlic powder to me has a different smell/taste, maybe more acrid? It’s more pungent to me, and i prefer the granulated stuff. And no, it’s not the same as freeze-dried garlic flakes. Most Latin grocery stores will carry both in little cellophane packets.

5 Likes

How is it different? How is “granulated garlic” made?

i have no idea. you can probably google it…

and the difference, as i said, is that the powder is finer, while granulated consists of larger granules.

I am of the thought there is no difference between them except for the size of the granule. Both are dehydrated garlic. The amount used and desired texture are the considerations.

1 Like

In my experience, the powder tends to clump and not as easily distributed throughout the dish. i do not stock/keep/use garlic or, for that matter, onion powder. The granulated product just seems to blend in more easily and as @mariacarmen says seems less pungent or concentrated as the powder.

1 Like

I think the strength varies significantly by source.

I have both, but vastly prefer the granulated garlic. Woe be it to whomever accidentally shakes/pours out too much garlic powder - nasty!

1 Like

There are 3 different dried / dehydrated types - powder, granules, and flakes.

I tend to use granules most (finer than the term “granules” may imply) just because it’s what I tend to have at hand.

I had a big jar of powder that lasted years - it was bizarrely potent!

My current favorite is Costco’s granulated garlic (& onion).

I have never used other than fresh garlic.

Presumably there is a benefit in using powder/granulated and I’d be interested to learn what it is. Perhaps if any of my cookbooks had a recipe including its use, I may know the answer - but I can’t recall ever seeeing such a recipe.

Endless uses for it in seasoning where you want an evenly distributed yet more subtle flavor, unless you want stronger then just add more. When I put out a bowl of home seasoned bar pretzels with cocktails most people don’t want pry them apart and have sticky garlicky goo on their fingers and glass. :thinking:

2 Likes

Exactly what @Respectfully_Declined described. When making garlic bread I’ll add an ample amount of fresh garlic to the butter and Parmesan mixture, but will also add granulated garlic or garlic powder too, to evenly distribute through the mixture, so you’re getting the sharp and pungent fresh garlic, with the background flavor of garlic also. I’ll do the same for soups and stews, it’s a good booster. Also, it can be a short cut for some cooks who don’t want to mince fresh garlic, but I don’t typically use it that way. Oh, and another thing, it’s also good for grilling meat if you want a garlic flavor on meat or vegetables, but don’t want the fresh garlic bits to burn.

Almost forgot that granulated or garlic powder is pretty essential in dry rubs, and a lot of seasoning mixes if you make your own. An indispensable ingredient for lots of things. I use it in house made vinaigrettes in addition to fresh as well.

5 Likes

Didn’t we just “talk” about this?
BRB

Okay, I guess it wasn’t here;

Fresh garlic tends to be not good with dry rubs and garlic powder works nicely

1 Like

I was informed somewhere along the way that powdered includes the skins but granulated has no skins. Therefore I have always preferred granulated to powdered. Whether this is actually the case, always or sometimes, I can’t say for sure.