"Gadgets" and buying

(This is a response from reading a months-old thread, but I didn’t want to drag the old thread back for those who had already read it.)

The person had a tiny kitchen with only a few items, but was soon moving, and asked about new things. There was a great variety of responses. Mine is just another response to add to the pile.

There are so many suggestions, so many possibilities, and sometimes it’s hard to sort them out. I like thinking about “why”, and it occurred to me that a person’s collection of kitchen tools are part of the history and progress of that person.

You need a heat source; a pot or pan; a big spoon; a sharp knife; and a safe, clean cutting & preparation surface. You can improve these by getting more sizes or more kinds of them, or by getting better ones, but you can’t really go without one of each. I guess these form the bottom layer of Maslow’s Kitchen Hierarchy Which Maslow Never Wrote. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then there are the foods you already eat frequently. Some of them will probably have a gadget associated with them. If you eat toast every day, you’ll soon get tired of holding bread over a candle flame, and you’ll get a toaster. But if you never liked bread anyway, then a toaster would be a waste of space.

One problem in “gadget discussions” is the example of the toast-lover encountering a roving gang of toast-haters, who convince the toast-lover that toasters are a waste of space and to just use the oven or the stove burner. Actually, if you love toast and eat a lot of it, you do need a toaster! The improved convenience and improved toast are definitely worth it.

Another problem in the discussions is the example of the yellow plastic pineapple cutter. The newbie pineapple-lover likes his new gadget, but the pineapple-haters tell him “Why don’t you just use a big sharp knife”. In this example, the yellow plastic thing really IS a stupid tool and a waste of space, and the knife wins easily. And if you don’t have a big sharp knife (or won’t use the one you have), then a pineapple is the least of your kitchen problems.

Not every gadget is good. But at the same time, not every back-to-basics solution is correct.

History: You need whatever it takes to properly make your favorite foods, no matter what anyone tells you.

Progress: Sure, maybe that new gadget you’re hearing about is junk - but maybe it’s a great idea, and maybe because of it you’ll gain new favorite foods that you never thought you could make. Don’t be afraid to investigate.

P. S. I know it’s not a pot or a knife, but get a corkscrew. Even if you hate wine, just get one. Trust me. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Well considered and well said. I have been collecting (acquiring) kitchen and dining room appurtenances for most of my life. Want a truffle shaver? Got it. Need an oyster glove? Right here! What about butter rollers to impress cool designs on your butter pats? Take your pick.

But I suddenly realize that today is that proverbial tomorrow I planned for yesterday and some of these treasures are going to die virginal. I am starting to de-accession my trove/hoard. And, you know, it’s not half so hard as I thought it would be. Easy come, as they say, easy go… Well, all but the corkscrew…

2 Likes

Just one corkscrew?

My siblings and I rotate gadgets and small appliances. My wife and her sister rotate houseware. We never get bored, we share similar enough interests and taste and save money to buy things we want in our kitchens. We started doing this after we all married and spent many celebrations together. This also gave family time new life and the frequent opportunity to be together in our kitchens. We are starting to see the next gen beginning to share in their own way.

A buddy and I share tools. A few neighbors share gardens and produce runs. I am so accustom to this way of doing things, I shop with sharing in mind. It’s a great way to try new purchases out.

It may sound odd but it is hardly a new idea-sharing the wealth.

6 Likes

And there’s always renting before you buy.

1 Like

@Rooster Kudos for a superb concept. And for this additional sharing. You are so lucky to have this cohesive group.

1 Like

I recall that thread and quite a few of us recommended this solution.

2 Likes

Thank you @pilgrim, it takes cooperation and reinforces the same family-wide. The 2nd biggest perk is variety.

2 Likes

@bcc Actually, yes, only one we reach for. Not chic, but very effective. One at home, one in the country and one in the travel bag, as in “don’t leave home without it”.

1 Like

I tried to post this a minute ago, but I’m having some computer problems, so I hope it doesn’t go through twice.

The corkscrew I use most is a variant of the one you posted. it’s a German model that I picked up in Paris. image

When you push on the indented part, that holds the corkscrew to the bottle and it prevents the corkscrew from pinching your finger, which the older model often did.
Here is the URL:
Fackelmann Waiter’s Corkscrew

1 Like

Moderator speaking:
For your information, for people who has read the old threads, they will only read the new additional posts, not everything from the beginning. Therefore, it is preferred to reply directly to old threads with the same subject than to start a new thread each time.

Whatever gets the cork out.

A toaster can do that? Now what am I supposed to do with my garage full of candles.

2 Likes

That was pretty good! I will try to apply it to purging! Gadgets and purging!

But I seem to recall, not in a carry on? :confused:

1 Like

I will start a throw down and say I don’t have a corkscrew and don’t need a corkscrew, and never plan on getting a corkscrew. :crazy_face: