Gabriellas (Italian steakhouse) coming to middletown nj

Well once word broke thanks to @coldbeer70 I had to give the place a try. Turns out last night was their first “official” day open after what I take was about 2 weeks of “soft opening”. If you want to skip my details the bottom line is a bit of a mixed bag, more good than bad with the food being very good.

I walked in 7pm and for a Monday night they had a nice crowd. Besides some updating to the decor it seems the same general layout and bar from Bonefish. I sat down towards the service end of the bar, closest to the kitchen and by the time I got settled in the bar was pretty much full. This brings me to my first big strike against them, the bar stools are horrible. (Fully disclosure I’m a tad under 6’4" and a tad over 300lbs) But these stools DO NOT accommodate someone my size. There is no way these are commercial stools, no commercial stool would ever have thigh bolsters which restricts your lateral leg room. Also they stand on thin metal legs, I could sway in the chair, they will not last. They do have “normal” bar stools at the high top tables around the bar, next time I will either have to swap the stool or just sit at a high top. I literally spent most of my night standing.

Bartender(s) (I didn’t not see the Virgil I know) were great, attentive and enthusiastic of their new employment I was given my martini and a menu and I placed my order:

3 West Coast Oysters
3 Shrimp Cocktail
1 Kansas City bone in strip 20oz ($55.00)
1 creamed kale and spinach

Second major strike to me (ok it’s not really major but it is to me dammit) They served me a friggin popoever as bread. What in God’s name is the fascination with serving popovers as a bread option in a steak house. (Shipwreck Point) I find it a bit more offensive here because this is an “ITALIAN STEAKHOUSE”, nothing about a popover says Italian or Steakhouse. Why…just why? (rant over) That being said it was a pretty dam good popover, lol I just don’t care for them in general.

The oysters & shrimp arrived after about a 10-15 minute wait where I found myself chatting to a nice older couple next to me, they were local and already known by the bartenders/management and they were raving about the place.

Oysters and shrimp were excellent, the shrimp were colossal probably U-12, certainly larger than the standard 16-20’s. Cocktial and mignonette were both very good as well. ( * there was an “incident” with my app’s, I am not going into detail as it was innocent and could happen anywhere, my only reason for mentioning it is this: The bartender was very involved, brought the matter to the attention of management who immediately came to check on me, and offer me something in consideration of the incident. I kindly declined and told them that I completely understand and there was nothing to worry about. I’m very happy to see prompt and efficient “problem resolution” by management and the bartender. Kudos, that’s the only reason I mention it as a positive)

Now after a good 20-30 mins after my apps were cleared my entree arrived. The delay was so long even the couple next to me who raved about the place made a comment about them probably killing a prized cow to impress me. The steak comes with a piece of bone marrow, roasted garlic clove and their own steak sauce. (cough cough Peter Luger’s) Had I known it came with their own sauce I wouldn’t have ordered the bearnaise at $2.00 up-charge, however the bearnaise was excellent!

I ordered the steak medium because so many places under cook steaks anymore I got tired of getting raw steak when ordering medium rare. They served this a perfect medium if anything a touch over. If I went back I feel very confident if I ordered medium rare I’m not getting a sub rare steak. The seasoning on the steak was excellent, the steak itself had the funky dry aged flavor I love and it was an EXCELLENT STEAK. Why in the world did they feel the need to add kale to the creamed spinach? Creamed spinach is a creamy, velvety, silky smooth wonderful side dish…kale does not cook down like spinach it’s the equivalent of throwing a dam cactus in the bowl. Needless to say, not a fan but the flavor was very good. The bone marrow while a really interesting touch, was completely dried out and chalky. It had been sitting way to long.

A few other things I didn’t particularly like, it’s already starting to have what I call the Buono Sera/Osteria Cuccina affect, the bar seemed to be loaded with people who are going to make this their club house. While I appreciate it’s summer and we live in an overall casual area, I do not appreciate paying $ 200. for dinner for 1 - and having guys in gym shorts and tee shirts around me, yes what I wear as my pajama’s. I think there needs to be some dress code or decorum. Not saying no shorts, but sweat pant shorts?

A person whom I was informed was the owner (apparently his last name is Gabriella) came over to check on me, he asked my name, shook my hand and asked how I was enjoying my meal. He never introduced himself as the owner (wish he had I would have chatted him up more). The music was very “club-ish”, odd dance club style, not befitting a restaurant of this nature and a bit intrusive for talking. I had a difficult time conversing with the couple next to me and couldn’t hear everything the bartender said.

Interesting observation the men’s room clean and bright has the most fascinating tiled walls I have ever seen. They are a “fuzzy” ceramic tile, I was memorized by them trying to figure out how they created that texture on a ceramic tile. I’m sure I looked like I was tripping on acid if someone walked in on me at the urinal, while staring at the tile and softly caressing it with my available hand. Quite interesting and I would go back just to check out the men’s room again!!! Soft like peach fuzz. lol

So to bring my night to an end…with over 20% tip and tax total was $ 200. they comp’d me a drink but I bought the older couple next to me a drink so let’s call it $ 150. without the BS. Listen, I really liked the place, I loved the steak (which is the most important) I just hope they keep their integrity in the restaurant and don’t make this a club for the who’s - who similar to other restaurants in the area.

I will be back sooner than later.

10 Likes

Yo gusto nopales pero no en mi espinaca!

Great read @NotJrvedivici ! Looks like another place I have to get over to.

2 Likes

A good reminder for us parents to teach our kids not to touch the walls around the urinal!!

4 Likes

As you know I’m a touch under 6’4, I can assure you I was reaching high my friend. lol

3 Likes

I’ve seen what looked like some sort of fuzz on the walls of various bar, restaurant and train station bathrooms, mostly in Eastern Europe, away from the tourist areas. Unlike you however, I’ve never had the slightest desire to touch these walls.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed report!

When BLT Prime was located on E. 22nd St. (closed and relocated to the UES), we ate there every once in a while since it was a few blocks from our apartment. They served delicious gigantic popovers, a signature at all the BLT steakhouses. I think it’s a riff on the classic roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, popovers being similar to the pudding. Even though they seem a bit out of place at an Italian steakhouse, if they’re as good as the ones at BLT, I wouldn’t complain.

Before you posted your report, I saw the spinach-kale side listed on the website menu. Since I detest kale, my immediate reaction was, “Ugh!!”

I might go there to try the rack of lamb. Unfortunately, it comes with the detestable spinach-kale, so I’d have to request a substitute.

2 Likes

Call me a Luger’s purist but nothing compares to an awesome onion roll at a steakhouse. Even my recently beloved Empire Steakhouse’s onion rolls pale in comparison to Luger’s. Here I was expecting a nice thick semolina or the like.

(yes skip the kale!)

Well, as shocking as it may be, we’ve never been to Luger’s. I tried to think if any of the steakhouses we have been to serves onion rolls. Checking my photo sets, I found that Wolfgang’s provides a basket of them. Not surprising since as you know, he spent many years at Luger’s.

1 Like

The onion rolls at Lugers are fantastic, similar but not quite as good as my all time favorite, the onion rolls at Ratners, a lower east side Manhattan Kosher dairy restaurant that closed in 2004.

2 Likes

Those are some nice looking shrimp.

Did they season the steak at all?

Yes, the steak had an excellent salty crust to it, as well as some other seasoning.

Virgil took good care of us tonight and confirmed that he did indeed used to work at the Lincroft Inn.

1 Like

Lol there aren’t many gin slingers in the area named Virgil. I’ll see him sooner or later, thanks for following up. (Did you check out the men’s room tiles???)

1 Like

Does anyone know what they are doing next to this place? I’m not sure. There is a sign that says Celtic landscaping on the fence.

1 Like

I’m here now I will ask!

1 Like

I was just driving by a few minutes ago. I was getting some beer. I might have to show up in my shorts and flip flops :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Apparently you’ll fit right in. Just remove the sleeves

3 Likes

So just returned from dinner with my wife and daughter. Service remains a bit of an issue our waiter (who was my bartender last week) was overwhelmed. Dining room was mostly full at 6:30pm on a Sunday so they are doing good business.

My buddy Virgil was behind the bar, his “claim to fame” is he was the bartender who Sebastian Bach threatened to shoot at The Lincroft Inn. (I was there that night) lol Virgil called the cops and Sabastian was taken away in cuffs. ( I forget if he actually had a gun in his car )

Anywho we ordered:

Apps: bacon - shrimp - west coast oysters

Diner: salmon - squid ink pasta with clams - prime aged N.Y. strip

Side: roasted Brussels sprouts

The bacon while I nice thick cut cooked nicely had some kind of capers and herbs which I didn’t care for at all. Next time no sauce on the bacon and request their steak sauce.

All other food was very good, the pasta was over cooked and slightly mushy. The flavor of the clams and broth was delicious.

My steak was excellent this time the marrow was perfect and gelatinous as it should be, yummy!

The salmon got high praise from my wife. The Brussels sprouts were excellent.

They had a focaccia to offer with the popovers this time! Thank goodness!

@corvette_johnny the construction will be an outdoor patio for dining and bar.

9 Likes

I was all over that wall like Aldous Snow. Also, went to Toscano’s in Bordentown last night. Had the fish, grouper francaise only because we finished our Gabriella’s steak on Saturday and were steaked out for a 100 degree day. I regret this, not because the fish wasn’t good (it was great) but the steak selection is mind blowing. We will be back in Bordentown very soon!

1 Like

Oh yeah Toscana is my go to in that area for sure. I’m glad you enjoyed the fish but their steaks are great. Had you been before? This heat does make these steak dinners a bit much to consume.